subwoofer cable options

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes. I can't believe it myself. But I'm going to ask anyway:

What are the better options for Sub Cables? Unbalanced. I will have at least 1 run potentially 20-25 ft long

As I'm looking around:
Mediabridge and AmzaonBasics both feature Copper-Clad Steel as the conductor.

Am I wrong in thinking steel is a horrible conductor?

Fospower claims bare copper core, no gauge specified.
Bluerigger claims .64mm / 22awg pure copper conductor
Cable Matters claims Bare OFC conductor, no gauge specified
KabelDirekt is OFC, no guage specified
Monoprice has a couple options either, but all are "copper core" or "bare copper", no guages specified

And then there's the specialties. SVS, Blue Jeans, etc.

I have no desire to buy "Premium Cables." Unless there is a VERY valid reason.
No way I'm going Super-premium at all.

Probably leaning Monoprice or Bluerigger.

From those more experienced than I... Thought, experiences, suggestions?

Please and Thank You!
R

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
AmzaonBasics
This is the one I have and it works just fine.

Also I have a pair of blue jeans cables for the speakers that cost about $200. I can't hear the difference between the Blue Jeans and the Mediabridge 12 gauge cables I have. In retrospect it was kind of a wast of money to get the blue Jeans cables but I can say I "bi-wire" my speakers and it looks cool.

I think silver the a better conductor though. Not sure they even make pure silver speaker wire. Silver plated yes.
@ryanosaur
You got the Phil 3's right? or the BMRs?

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This is the one I have and it works just fine.
Right?! I know its not rocket surgery, afterall. ;) I was really surprised to see copper-clad-steel though as a conductor!

You got the Phil 3's right? or the BMRs?
Yes. But the 3's production schedule is a lengthy one! BMRs and the other two pair of Mini Phil and AA should be here a little later this month.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The Blue Jeans sub cables are nice. I have one in my bedroom 2.1 system. It is very well made.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
BMRs and the other two pair of Mini Phil and AA should be here a little later this month.
Nice!!!!!! Keep us posted. I’m already eying a pair of the minis for new surround speakers. Are you planning on 3 separate 2 channel systems or running one 7 channel system with all the new speakers? Anyways you have no shortage of good speakers at your house

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Nice!!!!!! Keep us posted. I’m already eying a pair of the minis for new surround speakers. Are you planning on 3 separate 2 channel systems or running one 7 channel system with all the new speakers? Anyways you have no shortage of good speakers at your house
My original plan was 7.2. (Theres a lot of fun atmospherics that get pushed through the rears in some of my favorite games.) With the addition of the Phil-3s to the plan, it became a real easy leap to turn this into a .4 atmos set up with the AA's. I'm also very interested in looking at 5.1 audio, so having those BMRs slide around for Surround duty became a veritable no-brainer. If anything, the MiniPhil pair is the borderline-unecessary part of this rig. If it wasn't for the next half-year neading a good pair of surrounds as I explore 5.1 audio, I really could just have bumped a bunch of AAs for the same cost.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
For a 20-25 foot long run I would not skimp. Blue Jeans would be the way to go for price and performance.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
For a 20-25 foot long run I would not skimp. Blue Jeans would be the way to go for price and performance.
The Blue Jeans sub cables are nice. I have one in my bedroom 2.1 system. It is very well made.
Ok... if you guys are both users... do you know the conductor specs? I’m assuming it’s gonna be good ol copper, but are they doing 2 conductors like SVS, or do they tell the Gauge?
I thought I had maybe seen s spec for 25 awg conductor, whereas Bluerigger is 22... and somebody speculated Mono is 18 (fwiw I think that’s not very likely)
Regardless... mostly about curiosity, understanding, and education. ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There's only so much magic in a cable....and the price is right!
I think it was a video I watched about some Salk speakers getting set up for a show, and there was a quip about somebody asking Jim what kind of wire he required for his speakers, and he replied, “something that conducts.”
Of course then there was a different video of his boxes in a room hooked up with some of that fancy braid lookin stuff all nicely balanced on little blocks. *facepalm.
My Mono Choice 12awg is going to do just fine. What’s magical about it though, is it’s all gonna be virgin wire! Never put into a socket before. It’ll be it’s first time! #moon-eyes

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Ok... if you guys are both users... do you know the conductor specs? I’m assuming it’s gonna be good ol copper, but are they doing 2 conductors like SVS, or do they tell the Gauge?
I thought I had maybe seen s spec for 25 awg conductor, whereas Bluerigger is 22... and somebody speculated Mono is 18 (fwiw I think that’s not very likely)
Regardless... mostly about curiosity, understanding, and education. ;)
From the Blue Jean web site on their LC-1 sub-woofer cable:

LC-1 Audio Cable Specs
Physical Characteristics:
Center Conductor - Solid Bare Copper, 25 AWG
Dielectric - Nitrogen-Injected Low-Density Polyethylene
Shield - Braid/Braid, 98% coverage, bare copper
Outer diameter - .305 inch
Certifications:
UL Listing: Yes
NEC Rating: CM (Communications rated; suitable for residential and commercial in-wall installation)
Electrical Characteristics:
Capacitance, conductor to shield: 12.2 pF/ft
Resistance, center conductor: 34 ohms/1000 feet
Resistance, shield: 1.7 ohms/1000 feet

full information here:
https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/subwoofer/LC1-design-notes.htm

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Any unbalanced cable will work for you here, but try to get shielded cable, and at that length you will want to avoid running the cable parallel to any power cables.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Any unbalanced cable will work for you here, but try to get shielded cable, and at that length you will want to avoid running the cable parallel to any power cables.
Hi Shady!
Shielded, absolutely.
How much space should I give a power cable? It’s definitely going to run past some en route to where I expect to be placing it?
Thanks!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi Shady!
Shielded, absolutely.
How much space should I give a power cable? It’s definitely going to run past some en route to where I expect to be placing it?
Thanks!
Give it as much space as you can. Or, if it has to be near a power cable, try to have the signal cable run perpendicular to the power cable rather than parallel, if possible.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Give it as much space as you can. Or, if it has to be near a power cable, try to have the signal cable run perpendicular to the power cable rather than parallel, if possible.
Word!
I haven’t figured out the homes yet for the subs, but one might have to be near my workstation. I know to keep the power away, but the how far is potentially a concern as I will have to pass an outlet and power strip if it ends up where I think it should.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
A little more research here after work:
Monoprice has 3 cables.
The Basic cable is RG59 coax, double shielded with a 99.999% pure bare OFC conductor. The RG59 rating indicates a 22awg conductor.
The High Quality cable and the Onyx cable are basically the same except for connector styling and a nylon wrap on the Onyx. Both are RG6 coax which indicates 18awg conductor, and should have a beefier insulation than the RG59. They both have a 97% pure OFC conductor.
All are double shielded: aluminum-mylar foil +copper braid on the Basic; Copper braids on the HQ and Onyx products.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Remember there is always wireless signal transmitters. A bit more expensive, but they do work for like 50 foot distances.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Remember there is always wireless signal transmitters. A bit more expensive, but they do work for like 50 foot distances.
Thought about that... do they work well? Is there a particular one that I should consider? Do they play well in a room with WiFi router, cordless phone base, and other such signal producing devices? (My office is the hub for the house.)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis