B

Bman484

Audioholic Intern
I’m in the process of designing a new home theater. The space is 14ftx12ft (lxw). The ceiling height is 8ft and the floor is hardwood. The space is enclosed on 3 sides and the rear 4th wall opens up into a finished basement.

I’m going with monitor audio (380-idc) in wall and in ceiling to get to 5.2.4. My lcr is likely going to be chane l3c.

My next step is subs. I’m considering 2 of the SVS PB-3000. Any thoughts and or advice on the existing setup and suggestions for subs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

kini

Full Audioholic
That would be a good choice for your space. A pair of PC4000s would save quite a bit of floor space though.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think the PC’s are a great choice too. The 3000 series(not including the micro) is probably the best value in SVS’s lineup, but you might be just fine with two PC2k pros. They would take up much less space. And while you do need to consider the whole space, if you can get a good FR in that small area, I think you’d be good with the PC2k’s.
However the pb3k’s would be better if you can fit them in the space.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd also consider the Hsu VTF-3 mk5 and VTF-15H Mk2 subs. What's the total volume of the room outside of your seating area (assuming that's what you have when you say it opens into a finished basement) ? I like the idea of the small footprint of the PC subs if space for sub placement has to be minimal, tho.

B

Bman484

Audioholic Intern
I'd also consider the Hsu VTF-3 mk5 and VTF-15H Mk2 subs. What's the total volume of the room outside of your seating area (assuming that's what you have when you say it opens into a finished basement) ? I like the idea of the small footprint of the PC subs if space for sub placement has to be minimal, tho.
Hi sorry missed this!

My open space is around 1200 sq ft. The yellow highlighted area is a map of our basement design and the marks represent where I like to put 2 subs. Unfortunately I missed the svs price increase so I won’t go that option now.

I am deciding low between monolith 2x13” 2000 watt or 2xrhythmk fv15hp. Is that overkill?

B

Bman484

Audioholic Intern
Hi sorry missed this!

My open space is around 1200 sq ft. The yellow highlighted area is a map of our basement design and the marks represent where I like to put 2 subs. Unfortunately I missed the svs price increase so I won’t go that option now.

I am deciding low between monolith 2x13” 2000 watt or 2xrhythmk fv15hp. Is that overkill?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hi sorry missed this!

I think two fv15hp’s would be sweeeeeet! The monos are great too. For me the Rythmik is more of a known quantity so I would choose them. Room is small, so maybe choose the ones that fit better?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The new Monolith 13" Subs... FTW. Hands down.
Their performance is stellar.

B

Bman484

Audioholic Intern
The new Monolith 13" Subs... FTW. Hands down.
Their performance is stellar.
My only concern is size and fitting those 2 subs in my space. How would 2xlvx12. I’m trying to maximize base with minimal amount of space .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi sorry missed this!

Space is volume, so what's the height of that space? Might want to check this article out if you haven't already https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size

I don't know what sub overkill is, puny 12s and 13s just don't cut it for me :) (j/k, in my small bedroom a pair of 12s works great)

Nearfield placement will probably be sufficient in your case, rather than worrying particularly about the whole volume open to the subs. The Monolith subs sure look nice, Rythmik for the cost has never appealed for me, then again I have gone the route of diy subs for my last 5.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My only concern is size and fitting those 2 subs in my space. How would 2xlvx12. I’m trying to maximize base with minimal amount of space
Considering I'm looking at building 3 dual driver Subs with those SQL-15s, I'm the wrong guy with whom to discuss "problems with fitting!"
Rotfl GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I say get the best Sub you can, and make them work. Your efforts will be rewarded when you watch something like Blade Runner 2049 or John Wick 2... So many others (I'm a big fan of Prometheus for some good LFE content).
:D

I don't have a problem. I know exactly what I want. And that is to have a 16Hz Pipe Organ blast me like I'm sitting on the pipe!

(OK. Maybe a little problem, but nothing 6 SQL-15s shouldn't cure!)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis