adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
So what is the stain going to be? I would have thought you would have went for the piano black finish.

So do I need to stay up late to see if you get it tonight or are you thinking tomorrow?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
We just went a flat black to try and match the rest of the speakers.

No, it will be tomorrow or the next day.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
AV Labs Dawg Crusher

The sub arrived early Wednesday morning and the best part of the morning was spent setting up and EQ'ing.

The first thing note worthy is my room was way worse than I thought. Interesting to note, it was way worse using Audessy than leaving it off. Andrew brought all his Sound Lab Equipment and he ran several test (yep, I don't know the technical names of all the stuff he did) and the graph displayed peaks and valleys like I have never seen before. After a significant amount of time, he had it set flat at 15hz.

This time would have actually been less but we had an issue with the Behringer DCX2496. In the end, it turned out that the reason we couldn't get any output was secondary to a factory default setting of "off" on the mute. (yes, I ribbed Andrew for this until I was blue in the face)

Well, you ask....how did the damn thing look?

I had my choice of any veneer I wanted but since I needed the sub to match my Studio 100's, I had Andrew dumb down the finish. We ended up covering the 13 ply Birch with a light wood veneer, staining it to bring out the wood grain and then painting over that in a flat black. It looks good to me, the Wife says it looks like a big ugly thing from the 80's. There is a place in the front where the paint ran that looks pretty bad and may need to be redone. It took her about 6 seconds to find that. I would have also used black screws to mount the driver but it came with the SS screws. I will likely change to black in the near future. All in all, it matches the rest of my stuff and I like the looks once I change/fix the issues noted above. She also wants a grill on it as soon as possible, Andrew will be building it soon.

Who care how it looks...how did it perform, you ask....

I will start by saying that my system sounds the best it has. I have to wonder how much of this is proper calibration/EQ and how much is secondary to better gear. Everything seems perfectly blended and the detail and separation is top notch. The more I listen to the sub the more I realize how good it is. It goes deep, it is very tight and it will get just down right loud and nasty. With music, it doesn't stand out, it just does what it is called to do. Just a nice extension where the 100's fall off without drawing attention to itself.

Did you watch a movie...did ya...did ya...

Movies are a different story. I like to run the sub +5 hot during movies. I gave this a shot with the new sub and it lasted about 40 minutes. I paused the movie, got up and turned the sub back down. It was just an ungodly amount of bass, not the kind that smeared the sound and made it difficult to understand the dialog, the kind that was deep, tight and shaking everything in my house. I normally like this and I will set it +5 hot when I show it off but it is plenty when calibrated "even" with the rest of the system.

After only having this for a couple of days my first impressions are favorable. It takes me quite some time to fully decide if upgrades are working for me and if they were worth it or not. I will continue to update this thread as I have more time with the new sub.

Compare that crazy new thing to the Servo15 will you....

I will go on record right now and say the Servo is no slouch and is an impressive sub. The new sub is tighter and seems to go lower and at crazy volumes it is way less muddy and boomy. If I tried to rate these on a scale, I would give the Servo a 7/10 and the new sub a 9/10. If I factored in the cost of these subs the ratio would improve on the DIY.

Anyway, sorry I am not very technical but I hope you are able to get a glance of what I experienced when I compared the subs and my feelings towards the DIY.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Glad you like the sub. I can take care of the paint issue in the future. I didn't actually notice the run until you pointed it out at your place, but I was up until 2AM painting the thing so I could deliver it to you on time for Christmas. The weather just didn't cooperate between the rain and the temperature. You may have been joking about getting it by Christmas, but I figured I could do it ;).

As far as the screws go I tried to use black ones I owned, but the rubber rim on the Axis stopped the typical screw type from fitting hence the silver ones that were included with the sub. I will keep my eyes out for a black screw that will work.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Once we get the grill done it hides both issues but it would be best to just fix them.

Can you research the 60hz hum from the amp.
Glad you like the sub. I can take care of the paint issue in the future. I didn't actually notice the run until you pointed it out at your place, but I was up until 2AM painting the thing so I could deliver it to you on time for Christmas. The weather just didn't cooperate between the rain and the temperature. You may have been joking about getting it by Christmas, but I figured I could do it ;).

As far as the screws go I tried to use black ones I owned, but the rubber rim on the Axis stopped the typical screw type from fitting hence the silver ones that were included with the sub. I will keep my eyes out for a black screw that will work.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Very Nice looking sub ya got there Dawg.... I'm glad you finally got it in and completed.... Grab a small bottle of black touch up paint and paint those caps screws.... It will only take a minute and will make you happy.

That is a phenomenal driver and blows away so many others for the price.

IMO you have a much better sub then a JL F113 for 1/2 the money. ;):D

Nice Job Andrew....

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Once we get the grill done it hides both issues but it would be best to just fix them.

Can you research the 60hz hum from the amp.
Yeah, I am looking into the best solution for your ground loop. Try unplugging your cable box and see if that works. If it does it might be best to isolate that rather than using some other passive solution.

Warp's idea for the paint will probably be the best option. Those screws are made to work with the thick rim of the driver.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Or pull out half the screws at a time and paint them with spray paint, then do the others... Those cap crews are hard to find, and I have used some regular wood screws, but the just don't give me the feeling of security knowing that at some time they will strip out... then I'm buggered.....

J

jamie2112

Banned
Andrew that is a wonderful looking sub you made. I am sure it sounds great. I just finished making the kappa perfect sub. It is amazing....

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
avaserfi, will you also give me home service? :D
Buy me a ticket and I will be sure to set everything up for you :D.

Andrew that is a wonderful looking sub you made. I am sure it sounds great. I just finished making the kappa perfect sub. It is amazing....
Glad you like the Kappas, be sure to write a review so I can link it up on my neglected website!

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Were you guys going to be posting measurements of the Axis....?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Were you guys going to be posting measurements of the Axis....?
Measurements are planned to be hosted over at Home Theater Shack. Currently, some testing is planned for the 3rd, but it doesn't seem as if the Axis will be there. It will likely be tested at a later date.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Measurements are planned to be hosted over at Home Theater Shack. Currently, some testing is planned for the 3rd, but it doesn't seem as if the Axis will be there. It will likely be tested at a later date.

I really only meant for in Dawg's room, the before and after EQ plots....

I know you were intending on doing some out in the field measurments down the road of different drivers Andrew.... Just wanted to see how it faired in his room.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I really only meant for in Dawg's room, the before and after EQ plots....

I know you were intending on doing some out in the field measurments down the road of different drivers Andrew.... Just wanted to see how it faired in his room.
Ohh, I didn't bother saving images of the in room measurements. They are pretty much useless in comparison to other subwoofers. Prior to equalization the F3 of the sub was about 27Hz and there was a 15-18dB peak from 47-65Hz. After equalization F3 was about 18Hz and the response was +/- 3dB up to crossover point.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis