B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I have a new PB 3000 sub and i was setting the tone with a SPL meter. i set the left front speaker for 75db and when i got to the sub i had to crank it to +9.5 on my marantz reciever. being set this high will that damage anything? i had the volume set to -15 on the sub to start with.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Setting levels? What gain setting on the sub were you using? Generally you'd raise the gain on the sub so you can set it into the negative range for trim level on the avr for sub. Why did you have a start of -15 for trim level and is that on the sub itself or in the avr (usually those just go to -12 on Marantz afaik)?

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
i was reading when setting one of these subs you set the volume on it at -15 when setting the db manually. so when i got to the sub the volume on it was turned to -15 then with the pink noise on i turned the db gain on the reciever up until the sub noise reached 75db. is this not right?

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
if your talking room gain in the setting it is turned off which was recommended

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you are at 9.5 on the AVR, the sub is too low. IMO, you are shooting for closer to 0 on the AVR if you can.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
this is kinda confusing. i was told if your sub has a phone app set the sub to -15 to calabrate. so your saying if the amp is at 9.5 to hit 75db i need to set the volume higher to bring the setting down in the avr to hit 75db

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
this is kinda confusing. i was told if your sub has a phone app set the sub to -15 to calabrate. so your saying if the amp is at 9.5 to hit 75db i need to set the volume higher to bring the setting down in the avr to hit 75db
Yes. -15 is just a starting point. Every room is different, so the will need different settings in different rooms.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
if -15 is the starting point for volume on the sub where is the starting point on the avr? and which one do i increase to get to 75db? i always thought set the sub to -15 then turn the setting on the avr up until you hit 75db

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Tapatalk crashed and nuked my post….ugh

Anyways. -15 is just a starting point. A smaller room or a system with sensitive mains might require the sub at -20, while a big room might need the sub at -5. Don’t get hung up on -15. There are NO hard numbers and -15 is just a starting point.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What you want is the AVR to come back between-10 and -5. This will give you some room to trim up after calibration. Most people go 3-6 db after calibration.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
so when using a spl meter i select front left speaker turn the volume up on the avr until i hit 75db then set all the other speakers by just setting them by the avr is this even right?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
so when using a spl meter i select front left speaker turn the volume up on the avr until i hit 75db then set all the other speakers by just setting them by the avr is this even right?
In the speaker menu, when setting levels, you would turn the AVR up to -0. Then adjust each speaker TRIM to get 75.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
this is where i get a bit confused when you say turn the volume up to -0 on my marantz the volume goes from 0 to 98 as the high. i reran Audessey which put the sub level right in the middle in the setting. i talked to SVS todsy he said its a little on the high side but nothing to worry about and said i should be able to run the volume on the sub at -8 or louder.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
this is where i get a bit confused when you say turn the volume up to -0 on my marantz the volume goes from 0 to 98 as the high. i reran Audessey which put the sub level right in the middle in the setting. i talked to SVS todsy he said its a little on the high side but nothing to worry about and said i should be able to run the volume on the sub at -8 or louder.
The "0" is the relative scale setting for running manual levels, which is equivalent to 80 on the absolute scale you're using. https://support.marantz.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/136/~/avr---audio---relative-and-absolute-volume-ranges. What volume did you set the Marantz to when measuring?

ps You can change the scale in setup menu - audio - volume - scale (assuming the menus are similar to my Denons).

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
i have no idea i thought audessey set that when i ran it

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
i was until i got it all screwed up but thanks for the link on volume in my avr i will change it and check the manual setting on -0

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
so i just set my volume to 80 which is the same as -0 on the other volume setting and then just trim the speakers and sub out to 75 with a spl meter

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
here is one more question to throw at you. i have a sub cable running from the LFE in to the number 1 sub out on my avr. now since my front towers each have two 8 inch subs in them would it be safe to run a rca or sub cable to my sub plugging them into the left and right jacks in the back? the speakers do have amps in them

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis