Sub Pre-out issue/using REC-Out (Tape) ok?

R

RynJax17

Audioholic Intern
Its just crazy that the volt output coming from my Fluance powered bookshelf sub-out to my 12inch Klipsch is excellent! the gain only needs to be set to 2-3 out of 11. With my old Kenwood receiver its the total opposite and i shouldnt have to go through a million steps just to make the sub have good bass. Like i said to another person on here is maybe that is just the way the sub-out functions on this kenwood or the sub-out port is malfunctioning hence the loss in output voltage?
I forgot to mention before i picked up the klipsch sub i have been using a 20+ year old 8inch down-firing JBL Sub and the same thing when connected to the sub-out port on the kenwood pretty much no bass when gain was at MAX. One day i decided to disconnect my 2 passive bookshelf speakers that are connected to the "B" speaker channel and connect the JBL sub via high level in/speaker wire and Wolla!! the sub pounded and didnt have to leave the gain to Max had to bring it way down. I am not able to connect the klipsch sub because it doesnt have high level in speaker wire terminals

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I seem to catch more each time I go over this thread. What exactly is the model of the speakers used for the fronts and also the model of the surround speakers used for B?

R

RynJax17

Audioholic Intern
I seem to catch more each time I go over this thread. What exactly is the model of the speakers used for the fronts and also the model of the surround speakers used for B?
I bet you never heard of these floor speakers i have asked many people who have way more experience than i do with audio equipment also asked people from crutchfield and they cant find anything. Maybe you will be the lucky one to know something about them lol. All i know is that they were my fathers speakers and he told me he purchased them sometime in the 70's

Floor speakers: Ultra Acoustic Systems 300 Series
125 watts
Freq Response: 43 HZ to 25KHz
92 dB
Variable Level controls for High frequency driver and Mid frequency driver
10inch driver, 5inch mid, 1inch tweeter

Bookshelf: Realistic MINIMUS 7

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
They were "White Van" speakers from years ago. They are junk. I think they probably bought MCS cases and used some, or all, of the drivers. MCS were a junk brand of J.C. Penny.

The MCS speaker below are a pretty close match.

R

RynJax17

Audioholic Intern
They were "White Van" speakers from years ago. They are junk. I think they probably bought MCS cases and used some, or all, of the drivers. MCS were a junk brand of J.C. Penny.

The MCS speaker below are a pretty close match.

Wow well that is really good/not so good to know lol At least i know that what i have currently is complete garbage how embarrassing lol. All the gear that i have was given to me by my dad so this is what i have been using for 2 years i have nothing to compare it to since its my first audio system or lack there of. A complete overhaul to a modern day system is in works.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There is no reason to be embarrassed about enjoying speakers that some may call junk. We each have our own priorities and budgets regarding this and other hobbies. @TLS Guy is nothing if not honest. But, his bedside manner… well, just never attempt to cry on his shoulder. Your face will get frostbite.

I’m curious though about the speakers connected to the B terminals. Is this for an all channel stereo effect?

R

RynJax17

Audioholic Intern
There is no reason to be embarrassed about enjoying speakers that some may call junk. We each have our own priorities and budgets regarding this and other hobbies. @TLS Guy is nothing if not honest. But, his bedside manner… well, just never attempt to cry on his shoulder. Your face will get frostbite.

I’m curious though about the speakers connected to the B terminals. Is this for an all channel stereo effect?
I appreciate everyone’s honesty and knowledge that’s how I learn. I seriously thought I might have a very rare speaker that’s worth lots of money lol. To be honest from my ears those JC penny speakers sound pretty good they get loud, vocals seem clear and give some good bass/treble sounds better with a sub since i do love extra bass tones. I am due for a new system so saving up my JC Pennies lol.
So yes the bookshelf speakers by Realistic that are connected to the B terminals give me the 2 channel stereo effect they mainly help with making the vocals brighter, louder and more crisp. The floor speakers lack a little in that department

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I appreciate everyone’s honesty and knowledge that’s how I learn. I seriously thought I might have a very rare speaker that’s worth lots of money lol. To be honest from my ears those JC penny speakers sound pretty good they get loud, vocals seem clear and give some good bass/treble sounds better with a sub since i do love extra bass tones. I am due for a new system so saving up my JC Pennies lol.
So yes the bookshelf speakers by Realistic that are connected to the B terminals give me the 2 channel stereo effect they mainly help with making the vocals brighter, louder and more crisp. The floor speakers lack a little in that department
Without digging into your manual, I'd think all speaker B terminals do is duplicate the L/R channels of "A"....not surround at all. Some do like all-channel stereo modes in receivers, I'm not one of them, would prefer an actual surround mode....or just plain 2ch. Maybe for a party use the all-ch stereo thing. Mostly it's about your speakers, tho....if the main LR speakers are not working well, hard to see any duplication or even multich stereo mode helping....seems more just time to address better speakers.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Still curious about this setup. There was mention of Fluance powered speakers. I’d be interested in more information about where these speakers fit into your setup or are they used in another room?

R

RynJax17

Audioholic Intern
Still curious about this setup. There was mention of Fluance powered speakers. I’d be interested in more information about where these speakers fit into your setup or are they used in another room?
great question! So I currently have those Fluance bookshelf speakers on stands in the same room where the other gear is. They are placed next to my JC Penny speakers and I use them Only for Bluetooth but I will sometimes connect my Audiotechnica turntable to the Fluance speaker to switch it up. I know Powered all in one speakers get a bad rap but these powered speakers sound amazing (Ai61) and then I’ll connect my sub to it as well since it’s near the speaker that has the amp. The sound stage and imaging on them is spectacular. They are 9 ft away from each other, 9 ft from my listening chair with a slight toe-in the tweeter is the same height as my ear when sitting in my recliner.

R

RynJax17

Audioholic Intern

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
great question! So I currently have those Fluance bookshelf speakers on stands in the same room where the other gear is. They are placed next to my JC Penny speakers and I use them Only for Bluetooth but I will sometimes connect my Audiotechnica turntable to the Fluance speaker to switch it up. I know Powered all in one speakers get a bad rap but these powered speakers sound amazing (Ai61) and then I’ll connect my sub to it as well since it’s near the speaker that has the amp. The sound stage and imaging on them is spectacular. They are 9 ft away from each other, 9 ft from my listening chair with a slight toe-in the tweeter is the same height as my ear when sitting in my recliner.
Active speakers are often among the best available, who gives them a bad rap? Or is it just these particular powered speakers (i.e. passive crossover rather than active)? While I see in these speakers' description they use the word powered mostly, altho they mention "active" in one description, but seems only a 2x60 watt amp, and "butterworth" crossover.

R

RynJax17

Audioholic Intern
Without digging into your manual, I'd think all speaker B terminals do is duplicate the L/R channels of "A"....not surround at all. Some do like all-channel stereo modes in receivers, I'm not one of them, would prefer an actual surround mode....or just plain 2ch. Maybe for a party use the all-ch stereo thing. Mostly it's about your speakers, tho....if the main LR speakers are not working well, hard to see any duplication or even multich stereo mode helping....seems more just time to address better speakers.
yeah I pretty much just keep my Realistic bookshelf speakers on top of the JC Penny floor speakers and run the system in Stereo mode but sometimes I will use the EQ presets that are built in like Active EQ and Speaker EQ both at the same time. The Active EQ has options like music, cinema, TV. Speaker EQ option is speaker Small, Large.
Those Realistic bookshelf speakers just help clear up and brighten up the vocals

R

RynJax17

Audioholic Intern
Active speakers are often among the best available, who gives them a bad rap? Or is it just these particular powered speakers (i.e. passive crossover rather than active)? While I see in these speakers' description they use the word powered mostly, altho they mention "active" in one description, but seems only a 2x60 watt amp, and "butterworth" crossover.
I see a lot of people online and YouTube giving powered all-in-one systems the boot not saying specifically against Fluance. What’s the difference between powered and active? Doesn’t it mean the same thing? From what you see with those speakers do the numbers and specs seem pretty good?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I see a lot of people online and YouTube giving powered all-in-one systems the boot not saying specifically against Fluance. What’s the difference between powered and active? Doesn’t it mean the same thing? From what you see with those speakers do the numbers and specs seem pretty good?
I was just talking about active/powered speakers. The difference is in the crossover, active speakers use separate amps for each driver and an active crossover (i.e. electronic crossover) whereas a powered speaker simply has an internal amp and the usual passive crossover found (like passive speakers). The specs on the speaker look fine, and you like them....but I'd probably have gone for a JBL 306p perhaps for that pricing.

A powered all in one system? Not sure what that particularly means. There are also some active/powered speakers that include some additional features (maybe built in bluetooth, dac, crossover for a sub, inputs for other devices, etc.).

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, I see it now. Cool room. You know, I think I'd use only the Fluance speakers in that room and not the others at all. I'd use the Kenwood as a switcher. Since it doesn't have a proper front pre out, I'd use the REC OUT of the Kenwood into the Fluance speakers line input and use the sub pre out on the Fluance to the sub. I wouldn't use Bluetooth to get audio to the speakers. Maybe use a WiiM mini or such device for wifi network streaming of lossless audio and connect it to the Kenwood along with the other devices and use the REC OUT to the Fluance speakers. Just a suggestion if you feel like experimenting with it.

R

RynJax17

Audioholic Intern
Ok, I see it now. Cool room. You know, I think I'd use only the Fluance speakers in that room and not the others at all. I'd use the Kenwood as a switcher. Since it doesn't have a proper front pre out, I'd use the REC OUT of the Kenwood into the Fluance speakers line input and use the sub pre out on the Fluance to the sub. I wouldn't use Bluetooth to get audio to the speakers. Maybe use a WiiM mini or such device for wifi network streaming of lossless audio and connect it to the Kenwood along with the other devices and use the REC OUT to the Fluance speakers. Just a suggestion if you feel like experimenting with it.
Thank you! wow i had no idea that i could connect the fluance speakers to my Kenwood receiver to the REC Out then the subwoofer can still be connected to the fluance speakers Sub-out. i am going to try this setup appreciate the recommendation! I looked into the WiiM Mini seems like a cool unit and way better than using the standard bluetooth that the fluance has built in. How would i be able to incorporate my turntable into this mix?

R

RynJax17

Audioholic Intern
I was just talking about active/powered speakers. The difference is in the crossover, active speakers use separate amps for each driver and an active crossover (i.e. electronic crossover) whereas a powered speaker simply has an internal amp and the usual passive crossover found (like passive speakers). The specs on the speaker look fine, and you like them....but I'd probably have gone for a JBL 306p perhaps for that pricing.

A powered all in one system? Not sure what that particularly means. There are also some active/powered speakers that include some additional features (maybe built in bluetooth, dac, crossover for a sub, inputs for other devices, etc.).
Had no clue there was a difference between powered/active speakers thank you for the info. So when i say the Fluance are an all-in-one system i mean you dont need a receiver, cd player, turntable, ect. You can simply use it as a bluetooth setup, Connect to a TV, USB type-c connection But have the option to add a turntable ect. So i purchased the Fluance like 3 years ago they had a great sale on them I think i paid $450 at the time. That's when i hooked up my audiotechnica turntable and JBL Sub

Glad to know that the specs on the Flaunce speakers are pretty good!

R

RynJax17

Audioholic Intern
Thank you! wow i had no idea that i could connect the fluance speakers to my Kenwood receiver to the REC Out then the subwoofer can still be connected to the fluance speakers Sub-out. i am going to try this setup appreciate the recommendation! I looked into the WiiM Mini seems like a cool unit and way better than using the standard bluetooth that the fluance has built in. How would i be able to incorporate my turntable into this mix?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis