Sub keeps shutting off periodically when sharp bass hits

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@ryanosaur Thank you for all the details to work on.

Now I have so many questions and maybe you guys can give a little input. Yes I love bass! I am looking for something that will give me a wide range to work with, but definitely I loke the lows. I am really not sure of the terminology but can remember that when Jurassic Park came out we would watch the T-rex scene repeatedly to show off the system we had set up. This was in around 1994 so many years ago. I just remember the stomping making the ground shake as if he was coming into the room and his scream would shake the house as if he was out the window. The sounds was balanced as well between our speakers and the sub so nothing really overpowered over each other that I could remember. I do not remember the speakers we had except for the sub as I got it from a friend for $50 as he wanted me to have a quality speaker added.

So now I am looking to get back into a cinematic experience in my new home yet have no idea where to go and even sample the speaker quality except for Best Buy, and when I go there is no one to sample the speakers for us. So hard to decide without hearing it.

The room I am working on is 18' x 12'. Budget have not decided yet as I am one who needs to experience what I am going to buy. That is why I test drive cars before I buy them.... So any assistance with ideas going from a budget starter system that can be upgraded, or even a final set up that will last me and fulfill my needs. Sill my receiver work or do I need to replace it? I am already committed to replacing speakers and am thinking of getting out of satellite speakers and getting floor standing towers instead, unless there are satellites that might make me think twice.

Thank you all for your time and suggestions. I really appreciate it. Also if you know of a shop to check out in the Los Angeles area, please let me know so I can go and see what is out there.
Keep in mind a room has a great influence on the sound of speakers and a sub's performance. An audition in a big box store isn't generally the way I'd go, particularly for subs, and even their dedicated rooms aren't always a good way to go compared to your own room where they'll actually be used.

Your avr looks fine unless there's some particular feature you think you're missing?

Been years and years since I lived in LA, no idea where to suggest these days. I use the internet and often internet direct sellers. SVS has a great home trial program for both speakers and subs so you can do demos at home. Other internet direct sellers will have you assume some of the return costs more than SVS, tho still can be interesting. If you do need to go to Best Buy at least try to find one with the Magnolia store within a store thing for audio....both more choices and better rooms for listening generally.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might also think of contacting Hsu Research and see if they're doing demos of gear (and they're in socal so might be able to arrange an in-home trial with you doing at least the return to Hsu rather than paying for return freight).

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Best Buy's Magnolia section carries SVS so you can go and audition them there without any issue.

In my experience, subwoofers are one of those products where you get more when you pay more within any respected brand. So, with SVS, if you get a 1000 series subwoofer ($600ish), it won't measure anywhere near what their Ultra ($2,300+) series delivers.

I've run a Velodyne HGS-18BG speaker for years. It can rattle the entire house if I want it to. The bass doesn't just hit hard, it actually goes beyond my hearing range and can just give a presence to movies that is undeniable.

IMO, spending money on a good subwoofer makes almost the most sense of anything within a system. You can get one, enjoy it for decades, and it still will have value after years of use. Buying used can definitely save some money.

For example, the 15" version of the Velodyne HGS...
(HEY! It's local to So. Cal.)

Still being sold for $800 20+ years after the production date.

Buying used subwoofers can often yield very good results for less money than new.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis