Sub for Audioengine A5+

M

Mdude186

Enthusiast
Will the creative external sound card allow me to set the crossovers manually? (or will it take the crossover from the sub?)

I was pretty set on getting the STF-2, does anyone know if the Energy VSW10 has any advantages or disadvantages compared to the STF-2? Maybe a quick comparison :D.

Thank you guys so much for helping me out this much! I feel much better going into this now.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
I guess I don't get why this is being over-complicated.

RCA from source to A5+, then RCA out (full range) from A5+ to RCA in on sub... and use the subs xover to filter out the high frequencies.

That's the simplest way to do it, and there is no need for a new sound card. Plus, this opens up essentially any sub that has line level inputs as an option...

I get that it'd be nice to high pass filter the signal going to the A5+, and to have the xovers in the digital domain (for both the A5+ and sub) handled by a soundcard... but it's not necessary to do it that way. If this were to be used for movies/games with the PC as a source, I can see it being more important to high pass the A5+... but for mostly music in a small room, it's probably not as critical.

I say probably, because lets say there is an issue of exaggerated bass or boominess due to placement, and filtering out some of that low end could help alleviate that...depending where the problem frequencies are.

Last edited:
A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
I was pretty set on getting the STF-2, does anyone know if the Energy VSW10 has any advantages or disadvantages compared to the STF-2? Maybe a quick comparison :D.
Advantage - it's smaller.

I haven't heard the STF-2... so I cannot speak for that.

I owned the Mirage Prestige S10, which = Energy ESW-V10 which appears to = Energy VSW10 (aside from some slight differences in setting options on the amp).

The Prestige S10 was a very musical sub... and for the $300 I paid was a very nice deal. I have no doubts the STF-2 is well worth the money... but if size is a concern, I think the VSW10 would be a great compact option for your needs (small room, 98% music).

K

kesando

Junior Audioholic
I guess I don't get why this is being over-complicated.

RCA from source to A5+, then RCA out (full range) from A5+ to RCA in on sub... and use the subs xover to filter out the high frequencies.

That's the simplest way to do it, and there is no need for a new sound card. Plus, this opens up essentially any sub that has line level inputs as an option...

I get that it'd be nice to high pass filter the signal going to the A5+, and to have the xovers in the digital domain (for both the A5+ and sub) handled by a soundcard... but it's not necessary to do it that way. If this were to be used for movies/games with the PC as a source, I can see it being more important to high pass the A5+... but for mostly music in a small room, it's probably not as critical.

I say probably, because lets say there is an issue of exaggerated bass or boominess due to placement, and filtering out some of that low end could help alleviate that...depending where the problem frequencies are.
My thoughts exactly. This is how I have my setup and it works perfectly.

M

Mdude186

Enthusiast
Well, I can't hook RCA cables up to my computer, at the moment I have the A5+'s hooked up using a 3.5" mini jack. Also, after emailing HSU I was told I couldn't connect their sub to my A5+'s using RCA cables, which is why I'm reverting back to the 3.5" for the sub as well. But I was hoping to Cross the speakers at around 80 or 65hz. Which I'm still unsure of how I'd do, I looked into my sound card and couldn't find anything about crossovers. Which is why I wanted the external sound card.

Although after searching through the internet I feel a little torn between the two subs, but I think I'm still going to go with the HSU sub since they are both the exact same price and the majority of people buying the VSW10 were getting it on sale for 350$. Unless someone who has heard both feels strongly that the VSW10 is better for music than the STF-2.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
If you're set on filtering the signal to the A5+, then you're right to go for a sound card with a separate sub out, and use the PC to do the filtering digitally.

And you're right, to go from many PC soundcards or all (as far as I know) onbard sound jacks, you need a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable.

I didn't realize the STF-2 only has an LFE in, and not stereo line level inputs.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Although after searching through the internet I feel a little torn between the two subs, but I think I'm still going to go with the HSU sub since they are both the exact same price and the majority of people buying the VSW10 were getting it on sale for 350$. Unless someone who has heard both feels strongly that the VSW10 is better for music than the STF-2.
Newegg has Energy sales and bundle deals on a fairly consistent basis, so if time is not of the essence you might want to keep watch on their website. For example, right now they have a deal on the S10.3 where you get two free speakers when you buy the sub. That's not a bad sub either, so perhaps it's worth considering as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis