Sub for Audioengine A5+

M

Mdude186

Enthusiast
Hey guys, I'm looking for a really musical sub to go with my Audioengine A5+ speakers. It will be going in a fairly small room (Picture standard bedroom size). These speakers are getting hooked up to my computer so it needs to be a powered subwoofer. I will be using this setup 98% for music listening so i'm not looking for a thunderous movie oriented sub, although I wouldn't mind the sub having some real punch and the ability to make my neighbors form a riot against my home :D.

My price range is 350-400$. But I only want to hit the 400$ if its truly worth it. I was already considering audioengine's sub the AS8 but the general consensus seems to be that I should get a 10" or 12". I have also considered some Wharfedale models and a few by Velodyne. I'm not very savy when it comes to home audio so I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction. I also fear I won't be able to listen to the sub before I buy it, which wasn't the case with the A5+'s.

Thank you for any help you could provide!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This should fit the bill: STF-2 Subwoofer Their subs tend toward the musical side, and this one being one of their smaller, budget subs, I think it will do well.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
does your computer have output port for subwoofer?

M

Mdude186

Enthusiast
Hmmm, I was under the impression that the sub connected to my A5+'s via RCA cables. I don't think it needs to be directly connected to my computer, but I could definitely be wrong.

Also, thank you for the subwoofer suggestion, anyone else have anything to say? I'm in no rush to make a decision, I just want to make sure I get a sub that is worth the money.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Audioengine S8 sub uses low level inputs and outputs. HSU STF-2 is a great sub, but I think you'd be only be able to connect it by using low level outputs from speakers, which is sub-optimal...

That goes back to very few options unfortunately...
Only other sub with low-level inputs and output in this price range I know of is this one: http://www.chasehometheater.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=112

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Those are full range stereo outputs. They should work, but you'll have to dial in the sub's x-over manually is all.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Those are full range stereo outputs. They should work, but you'll have to dial in the sub's x-over manually is all.
yea, but would be nice to cross-over mains as well, instead of having playing full-range from both

M

Mdude186

Enthusiast
I thought by setting the crossover on the sub it would control the A5+'s as well. Thats how it works with the AS8 sub (so i've read). I really don't want the double bass effect though, is there a way I could find out for sure? Maybe email HSU?

M

Mdude186

Enthusiast
I just checked my PC for sub input, and I do have one (Its colored orange) But I'm not sure how that would work with the crossover and everything. Would I still be able to set it and have it apply to both the A5+'s and the STF?

Sorry for the double post, I couldn't edit because I came back after an hour had passed.

K

kesando

Junior Audioholic
I have an Emotiva Ultra 10 hooked up via RCA to my Audioengine A5s and you do have to control the crossover manually on the sub. The A5s play full range and I find that the setup sounds best with the sub crossed over around 55hz by ear.. I A5 driver have pretty good excursion so you may not need to worry about high passing them.

I agree that the HSU STF-2 would be a solid choice. I would also consider the Energy S10.3 for a bit less.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
I don't think the PA150 would be a good choice. It's a 15" driver in a large enclosure at a low price, this will be more of a HomeTheater sub rather than a musical sub most likely. The small drivers in the A5 need to have a 10" sub IMO to blend well. Plus the OP has a small bedroom so a large sub is not in order here.

If he wanted a sub for his theater which is large & he had a very limited budget THEN id say get the PA150 but not for what he's looking for right now.

M

Mdude186

Enthusiast
Timoteo is right, there is definitely no need for a sub that large unless I wanted to collapse my bedroom walls and possibly make my ceiling fan fall off the hinges :D. But after emailing HSU about hooking their sub up to my A5+'s this was their response:

"Due to the Audioengine's two channel line outs, you need a VTF-1 MK2 which has two RCA inputs. The Audioengine outputs full range signal, which the VTF-1 MK2 can filter out higher frequencies. The Audioengine will be fed full range signal from your source. The VTF-1 MK2 has no high pass filter, and neither does the A5+ has any way to receive a high pass filtered signal. At least the sub can fill in where the A5+ rolls off. If the A5+ is well designed, it would have a built-in high pass filter."

Is that correct? I really don't want to spend the 500$ for that sub (I'm including shipping) Or is there another way around that? I have little to no experience with hooking a subwoofer up this way so I would really appreciate it if someone could chime in.

That being said my computer sound card DOES have a sub out (i'm pretty sure...I could post a picture if you want) But if I eventually wanted a DAC for my computer would hooking it up be a problem?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
That being said my computer sound card DOES have a sub out (i'm pretty sure...I could post a picture if you want) But if I eventually wanted a DAC for my computer would hooking it up be a problem?
I personally think you should go back to STF-2 and connect it from your pc subwoofer output. Most pc soundcard controls should be able to high pass your a5 mains and low-pass the sub

For Connection from pc to sub you'd need to get monoprice premium 3.5mm to stereo rca cable (sub would most likely ether Red OR While)

M

Mdude186

Enthusiast
I'll have to look into my sound card a bit more later and see if it can high and low pass (I'm thinking it should be able to though). Would a DAC be able to do that as well? And do you know of any? The only one I am really familiar with is the Audioengine D1 and I know that only has analog R/L with no sub out. Thank you very much for clearing that up for me though, I feel relieved.

EDIT: Or if anyone knows of a really good usb sound card that would fit the bill.

Last edited:
timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Look into this more but my guess is that once the computer sees a sub is connected it will crossover the correct frequencies. Maybe a set 80hz crossover setting or something on those lines. Those A5+ most likely have a rumble filter to protect the small drivers from being overdriven.

The STF-2 or VTf-1MK4 are both great subs that are PLENTY powerful for your application & at the same time are very musical. I'm still ver impressed with how musical the VTF-15H is that I own. Looks like the VTF-1 is out of stock though. I would lean towards the VTF-2 MK4 though because it has the variable tuning which will allow you to decide if you want to run it in sealed or ported mode. Plus the variable Q is great! Ported & Q.3 is powerful yet very tight. Its on sale for $519 right now so I don't know if that's too much for you or not. It's more sub that you need but it's always good to have in case you want to use it in a larger space later. But if that's too big or too much then the STF-2 is a great option & with the 10" driver will sound great with the A5+. Plus it's smaller in size as well which is needed in a bedroom. The VTF-2 is pretty large.

Haha sounds like I'm all over the place with my recommendation so I'll summarize. Get the STF-2 :)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I ran the A5's in my office for awhile with a Velo VMS8 going from my computer through an external DAC. I swear this set up sounded as good as my real system. Impressive little speakers!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis