Studios Sue to Stop Family-friendly DVD Film Cuts... Again.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
People do have a choice. You can either watch a film or not. No one is making you show films to your children.

Just because there is a market for butchered films does not mean that the studios have any obligation to fill it.
I never implied they were obligated. :rolleyes: However, it would be nice if the people had more of a choice than watching and non watching. You may not like to see butchered films but isn't nice that you have a choice to watch non butchered films.

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
Yes, all these could be versions could be. But, it is up to the makers, the authors, the license holders to choose, not the public. The public chooses from what is available, period.
Kids do not have to see anything the parents deem appropriate. And no, they don't have rights to see a cleaned up version of anything.
You are right no one has to make a cleaned up version.

I never said there is a right. I was just making the point that there is a market for a cleaned up movie.

It is an industry which is in the business of trying to make money (although the decisions made don't always seem to support this...) and in a business there is deemed a market for something it make sense to supply it (or let someone supply it and pay licensing fee... however you want to skin it).

Not trying to censor anyone. I can't believe this is something that people got up in arms about.

To repeat...

NO ONE WANTS CENSORED ONLY MOVIES....:rolleyes:

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
You are right no one has to make a cleaned up version.

I never said there is a right. I was just making the point that there is a market for a cleaned up movie.

It is an industry which is in the business of trying to make money (although the decisions made don't always seem to support this...) and in a business there is deemed a market for something it make sense to supply it (or let someone supply it and pay licensing fee... however you want to skin it).

Not trying to censor anyone. I can't believe this is something that people got up in arms about.

To repeat...

NO ONE WANTS CENSORED ONLY MOVIES....:rolleyes:
Perhaps that is because you are viewing it as only a moneymaking product. Some people make movies as an artistic expression, and so they want it in a particular way. If Michelangelo had mass produced copies of his David, do you think he might object to them being altered into something else because some prude objected to nudity? Even if there was a market for them? The same idea applies to some films. And it also applies to films that are crap, as well as great ones, because being crap does not mean that it isn't the artistic expression of its maker(s). (Some artists are much better than others, but the bad art produced by bad artists is still art, and represents the artistic vision of those artists.)

Not every filmmaker is a total whore just out to make money. And so they are not going to be willing to change it just because there is a market for it. Some films are not designed for children, and many filmmakers do not want small children seeing their films.

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
Perhaps that is because you are viewing it as only a moneymaking product. Some people make movies as an artistic expression, and so they want it in a particular way. If Michelangelo had mass produced copies of his David, do you think he might object to them being altered into something else because some prude objected to nudity? Even if there was a market for them? The same idea applies to some films. And it also applies to films that are crap, as well as great ones, because being crap does not mean that it isn't the artistic expression of its maker(s). (Some artists are much better than others, but the bad art produced by bad artists is still art, and represents the artistic vision of those artists.)

Not every filmmaker is a total whore just out to make money. And so they are not going to be willing to change it just because there is a market for it. Some films are not designed for children, and many filmmakers do not want small children seeing their films.
Ok but I can get an image of David cover up his man parts and rerelease as art myself...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Ok but I can get an image of David cover up his man parts and rerelease as art myself...
Of course that too would be art but that is not how it was done. Michelangelo could have made a number of different ones of David but he didn't for whatever reason.
Some films are rated and later also released to DVD unrated. But, that is up to the makers, not someone in the public stealing it and redoing someone else's creation. Ain't this fun :D

S

sm31

Audioholic Intern
Seems like there could be a real business opportunity for studios here...

Why not market "PG" versions of some of their more popular PG-13 and maybe even R rated (R movies that may appeal to younger viewers... like Terminator 2 or whatever) fare? It would be easy enough since the studios already know all about the audience demographics for each movie they release.

Wait a reasonable amount of time, then pop PG edited versions on the market about the same time as the special edition discs show up.

After all, they do it for TV already.

edit: eesh.. never mind. didn't realize the thread was this long. Probably already been said 10x over.

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
Seems like there could be a real business opportunity for studios here...

Why not market "PG" versions of some of their more popular PG-13 and maybe even R rated (R movies that may appeal to younger viewers... like Terminator 2 or whatever) fare? It would be easy enough since the studios already know all about the audience demographics for each movie they release.

Wait a reasonable amount of time, then pop PG edited versions on the market about the same time as the special edition discs show up.

After all, they do it for TV already.

edit: eesh.. never mind. didn't realize the thread was this long. Probably already been said 10x over.
Yeah lets not go there again. I think its a we agree to disagree....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis