Stuck in a Denon X6400H / X4400H Dilemma => Your advice please

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Not really, this is the only one, I truly forgot. Just picked up the 3400. While there, I made a mistake taking a peek at the 4400 on the shelf and noticed the gold plated stuff right away, then the price tag $1499 caught my eyes and that settled it.:D Thanks to ADTG, this is is probably the first time the practical side of me prevailed.
Funny. That's the first thing that happens when I unbox something. Bye bye stickers.

I love my 4300h and my 1300. I'll be interested to hear your impressions in your 2ch rig.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Funny. That's the first thing that happens when I unbox something. Bye bye stickers.
For some reasons, I immediately removed the stickers on the AVP-A1HD and AVR-5308 when I first opened them, but I never did remove the stickers on the X3100 or AVR-3312. I don't know why that is. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
For some reasons, I immediately removed the stickers on the AVP-A1HD and AVR-5308 when I first opened them, but I never did remove the stickers on the X3100 or AVR-3312. I don't know why that is. :D
You've apparently become one of "those people"...:)

My mom does the same thing. She left the stickers on her laptop and REFUSED to remove them. No idea why she wanted "made for vista" on it for 5 years, but who am I to judge...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The funny fact is, after a while that thing somehow became invisible until now, when I am thinking of selling it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I removed everything as soon as I knew I wouldn't be returning the unit, unless it took longer than usual to decide and then got forgetten. That's probably what happened in this case.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I love my 4300h and my 1300. I'll be interested to hear your impressions in your 2ch rig.
Too late to play today but tomorrow for sure. So you have two HT system? How's the SQ of the 1300?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Too late to play today but tomorrow for sure. So you have two HT system? How's the SQ of the 1300?
I have 3...sort of.

I have an all in ceiling in the living room that sounded OK with my old pioneer 521k. Audyssey XT in the 1300 made a HUGE difference. It actually sounded better without Audyssey as well. Not totally sure why, but it does. As far as SQ it's very nice. I didn't opt for a 3300/3400 just because it's an all ceiling speaker system so it can only sound so good. Especially since I haven't been able to finish building my sub. I'd be interested to see if it sounds the same as my Onkyo 809 since they are basically the same with the exception of the onkyo being much heavier.

It'd be interesting to do a comparison, but I don't have a mechanism to do so. Really I'd have to get better speakers in the office to do that anyway.

My office has the Onkyo 809 that was replaced by my 4300h for the theater. I've got 4.1 in the office, but it is my primary music listening room...even though my theater speakers sound better (at 10x the cost the better). 7.4.4 in the theater is the king of them all though. Huge soundstage that I attribute to the speakers (in stereo mode), but XT32 had a hand in how good it sounds.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have 3...sort of.

I have an all in ceiling in the living room that sounded OK with my old pioneer 521k. Audyssey XT in the 1300 made a HUGE difference. It actually sounded better without Audyssey as well. Not totally sure why, but it does. As far as SQ it's very nice. I didn't opt for a 3300/3400 just because it's an all ceiling speaker system so it can only sound so good. Especially since I haven't been able to finish building my sub. I'd be interested to see if it sounds the same as my Onkyo 809 since they are basically the same with the exception of the onkyo being much heavier.

It'd be interesting to do a comparison, but I don't have a mechanism to do so. Really I'd have to get better speakers in the office to do that anyway.

My office has the Onkyo 809 that was replaced by my 4300h for the theater. I've got 4.1 in the office, but it is my primary music listening room...even though my theater speakers sound better (at 10x the cost the better). 7.4.4 in the theater is the king of them all though. Huge soundstage that I attribute to the speakers (in stereo mode), but XT32 had a hand in how good it sounds.
That's encouraging. I can soon find out if xt32 can fix the soundstage issue I had with the LS50 in that room. JRiver's parametric did fix the issue but I am hoping xt32 can do a better job, it should, in theory.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You've apparently become one of "those people"...:)

My mom does the same thing. She left the stickers on her laptop and REFUSED to remove them. No idea why she wanted "made for vista" on it for 5 years, but who am I to judge...
It appears I am. I have some old laptops that still have the stickers. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's encouraging. I can soon find out if xt32 can fix the soundstage issue I had with the LS50 in that room. JRiver's parametric did fix the issue but I am hoping xt32 can do a better job, it should, in theory.
Hope so. We did a manual calibration on the speakers before running audyssey and it wasn't a huge difference for the front speakers, but (as it should) made a large difference in low frequency performance.

Having said that, in 7.x.4 mode the speakers all but disappear after audyssey. They were very good before, but it just did a better job. Sound is just everywhere. I wasn't impressed at first just because I'm so used to being able to pick out the channels so easily (last theater had MUCH lower end speakers), but once I started listening I realized I wasn't missing the localization, but couldn't actually tell where the sound was coming from. It was an eye opener for sure. Now I just enjoy instead of trying to over analyze if it's good enough or not.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hope so. We did a manual calibration on the speakers before running audyssey and it wasn't a huge difference for the front speakers, but (as it should) made a large difference in low frequency performance.

Having said that, in 7.x.4 mode the speakers all but disappear after audyssey. They were very good before, but it just did a better job. Sound is just everywhere. I wasn't impressed at first just because I'm so used to being able to pick out the channels so easily (last theater had MUCH lower end speakers),but once I started listening I realized I wasn't missing the localization, but couldn't actually tell where the sound was coming from. It was an eye opener for sure. Now I just enjoy instead of trying to over analyze if it's good enough or not.
Either the 3400 or the av8801 will end up with the LS50 plus sub, i.e. 2.1, or the 3400 get returned, or the av8801 get sold..

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Either the 3400 or the av8801 will end up with the LS50 plus sub, i.e. 2.1, or the 3400 get returned, or the av8801 get sold..
I thought you were going to use the 3400 in your theater?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Not really, this is the only one, I truly forgot. Just picked up the 3400. While there, I made a mistake taking a peek at the 4400 on the shelf and noticed the gold plated stuff right away, then the price tag $1499 caught my eyes and that settled it.:D Thanks to ADTG, this is is probably the first time the practical side of me prevailed.
Can I be so nosey and ask where did you buy it? I noticed you said BB price matched the 3400 so I'm assuming there and they matched Gibby's price on line.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Can I be so nosey and ask where did you buy it? I noticed you said BB price matched the 3400 so I'm assuming there and they matched Gibby's price on line.
I went in to the BB store that does not have it in stock, and ask the rep how to do price match online. He told me he could do it right there. I have to pay the full $799.99 and he gave me a refund for the difference + 10% of the difference. I told him 3 times Gibby's was $749 but they only matched to 749.99 so I lost 0.99X1.13, I happy enough not to argue lol!!.

So far I quite like the look of this unit, especially the golden color on the front, I thought that's only for the 4400 and up and I assume incorrectly the 4400 has gold plated RCA connectors because my AVR-4308CI's are gold plated. That's only for the look and you can see them from the front anyway.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents,

Well the dilemma is over. I was mentioning to brother about waiting on a price drop for Canada Day, and he said why bother. It's not like I can't afford it. And my wife later this morning said the same thing, and also said I'm always looking for the best deal possible -which is true - and it was driving her crazy on this receiver. So I decided to call Gibby's and talk to them.

They said they wouldn't be moving off the price at anytime, and wouldn't even kick in free freight. But he said they'd only charge me $20 CAN for freight and insurance (so risk of loss or damage is theirs - in transit). I'd save the "regular 5% provincial tax by buying it out of province (About $55).

He said they had a "whole pile" of these with minor damage on the boxes; and some were so bad they put them in plain brown boxes to ship, but he said the remaining 3 all look like new, and I'd be hard pressed to find anything. He said they carry a 3 year Denon Factory Warranty, and come with a 15 day price protection plan. So I said I'd buy the 4400. He sent me an invoice (quote) via email with links to paying them through a Paypal run secure site. I paid with my Avion Visa as it gives me an extra year of warranty coverage (which I hope I never need). All in it was $1,178.61 CAD.

It was supposed to ship today but I doubt it as it was 2:30 EDT when the transaction went through. The Salesman said he would take until about Wednesday, July 4th for it to make it to my house. I can hardly wait to set it up and hear what Atmos sounds like. Any suggestions on a good Blu Ray Movie with that? (Mmmm... maybe I'll start another thread...) I wonder if I should download the APP for my iPhone or iPad... (Mmmm... maybe I'll start another thread...)

Lol, lot of possibilities.

Here's alink to the Gibby's Site. It still shows 3 in stock. It'll be interesting if that changes now.

Gibby's Denon AVR-X4400H Receiver Deal

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I wonder if I should download the APP for my iPhone or iPad... (Mmmm... maybe I'll start another thread...)

Lol, lot of possibilities.

Here's alink to the Gibby's Site. It still shows 3 in stock. It'll be interesting if that changes now.

Gibby's Denon AVR-X4400H Receiver Deal
Sounds great, just one question about those dented box deals for Gibby's, how would they replace the unit if in the unlikely event that it failed within say 30 days, and they don't have another damaged box in stock? Their undamaged box ones are on sale for $1199, that's still a good deal. I am considering getting the 4400 too.

Regarding the APP, it works very well, but as expected, it is very difficult to shape the curve so the larger the screen the better obviously. For Android devices, you only have pay once, and can then use it on multiple devices. I assume it is the same for the ios devices but you should double check that yourself.

@rm3 has much more experience in using the App, ask him if you have more questions.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Sounds great, just one question about those dented box deals for Gibby's, how would they replace the unit if in the unlikely event that it failed within say 30 days, and they don't have another damaged box in stock? Their undamaged box ones are on sale for $1199, that's still a good deal. I am considering getting the 4400 too.

Regarding the APP, it works very well, but as expected, it is very difficult to shape the curve so the larger the screen the better obviously. For Android devices, you only have pay once, and can then use it on multiple devices. I assume it is the same for the ios devices but you should double check that yourself.

@rm3 has much more experience in using the App, ask him if you have more questions.
Thanks for the post. If the 4400 was defective and I needed to invoke a 30 exchange, and they had no stock, that could present an issue I hadn't thought about. I guess I'd have to cross that bridge if it occurs. Hopefully when I light it up, everything works well beyond the 3 year factory warranty and the extra year of coverage my Avion Visa Card applies.

I'll go to the Apple Store and check out the App. I'd like to install it on both.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the post. If the 4400 was defective and I needed to invoke a 30 exchange, and they had no stock, that could present an issue I hadn't thought about. I guess I'd have to cross that bridge if it occurs. Hopefully when I light it up, everything works well beyond the 3 year factory warranty and the extra year of coverage my Avion Visa Card applies.

I'll go to the Apple Store and check out the App. I'd like to install it on both.
I highly recommend you place at least one fan on top, that thing runs much warmer than the X3400H.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis