Still Winter in Minnesota

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
As I posted 6 months ago we had our first snowfalls in late October. The temperatures bounced around in November and most of December. Then as predicted the Boreal winter set in as Autumn turned to winter. It struck hard on December 20 with snow and an arctic blast. It has not let up.

The snow banks here have been piling up on my lot.

This was a couple of weeks ago.

This is today, when we have been clipped by this weekend's blizzard in Southern and Central MN.

The Twin cities have been hit hard were they have had heavy snow for 36 hours that will end tonight, with more for midweek.

Where my eldest son live in Richfield an inner suburb, they have had 27.1 inches and counting.

I see at our Eagan residence we have had 15 inches with 5 more expected.

We have now smashed the record for April snow fall in Minnesota by a wide margin.

No lake in Minnesota has so far declared ice out. The far southern lakes should have had ice out a month ago. Even lake Pepin, which is actually the Mississippi River is largely ice covered. Therefore there have been no tows into St. Paul so far this year. The Leech Lake system has 3' of hard ice still. There are still vehicles travelling on the lakes. The lakes north of here like Red Lake and especially The Lake of the woods, report 6' of hard ice. They reckon this may not go until late June or even early July.

This time last year it was 72 F and we had the lifts, docks and boats in. This will be a May ice out. The latest on this lake since we have been here was May 5. I think it will go past this. The latest ice out for Leech was May 25 1893. I think we will go right up on that. The immediate long range forecast is for well below normal temperatures for the next 30 days. It will go a little above freezing by day this week, but with hard freezes at night. We have only had a couple of nights were it has gone a degree or two above freezing so far.

I was watching the news last night and some hardy Minnesotan's were skiing Buck Hill in he Cities in the blizzard. Yesterday was Minnesota Trout fishing opener. There were some hardy souls fishing the trout streams in the blizzard yesterday in the Twin Cities. The stream are still frozen up here.

Minnesota fishing opener is May 12 and my guess is it will be a bust.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Our Snowbird friends passed through here on the way back to Nevis, Mn. the other day. They had to hightail it home to beat the latest storm.
Cheers, Mac

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
My Mother lives in Appleton, WI and shared a photo from her front door with almost 2 feet of snow outside.

I'm supposed to be up there next month. As much as I love snow, I don't want to be stuck in Appleton!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

My Mother lives in Appleton, WI and shared a photo from her front door with almost 2 feet of snow outside.

I'm supposed to be up there next month. As much as I love snow, I don't want to be stuck in Appleton!
Just come in from shoveling snow this morning!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
ahhh 'Minnesnowta' , reminds me of 4th of July back home in Buffalo !

beautiful pics !

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I used to live up by Lake of the Woods. Spring can come quite late up there and it looks like this year may be one of the latest ever.

In SE Wisconsin, we mostly got 2" of ice pellets and then snow on top. Heavy wet crap. I spent 2 hours clearing out my business lot with the skid steer. It was like pushing a giant slurpee with water dripping. Really had to work the old Bobcat 610 to clear the mess. Then this morning, we got another 1+" so far. Nothing like the central part of Wisconsin where some areas got 30" or more over the weekend.

It was so water logged that it broke the shear pin on the throwing auger on my tractor's snow blower. So I said the hell with it as the snow should melt off by Wednesday. Maybe...

http://www.wisn.com/article/snow-covered-hotel-roof-collapses-in-green-bay/19821945
Roof collapse at a motel in Green Bay which had 23.5" of snow. It's delaying the start of NFL practice season with players stuck at airports trying to fly into Green Bay.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Got up this morning and it was snowing! I know it is not such a BIG deal. But, I do NOT ever remember it snowing in the middle of April. Not to mention, it is rather cold as well. Ran a few errands and it is like snowing like a Dickens out there. Holy smokes! Ugh! :eek::eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Got up this morning and it was snowing! I know it is not such a BIG deal. But, I do NOT ever remember it snowing in the middle of April. Not to mention, it is rather cold as well. Ran a few errands and it is like snowing like a Dickens out there. Holy smokes! Ugh! :eek::eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil
This reminded me of a quote from a co-worker when I lived up near Lake of the Woods: "The only month I can remember not seeing snow is August." Gonna be one of those years...

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
This reminded me of a quote from a co-worker when I lived up near Lake of the Woods: "The only month I can remember not seeing snow is August." Gonna be one of those years...
August? Holy Smokes! If that is somewhat normal, then I can certainly understand. But, here in Western KY snowing this late in April is very rare. Have seen it though at one time or another. However, I am like so ready for warmer weather! Got to get my tan on. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Had to go run more errands and noticed that the lawn mowing service provider was mowing when I left. Never seen anyone mow grass when it is merely snowing. We even set an all new record of only reaching 37 degrees today. That is at least 40 degrees below normal. Oh well, there is always a first.;););)

Cheers,

Phil

highfigh

highfigh

It was so water logged that it broke the shear pin on the throwing auger on my tractor's snow blower. So I said the hell with it as the snow should melt off by Wednesday. Maybe...
Yeah, well, it's supposed to snow again tomorrow.

I was supposed to play in a golf meet when I was in high school- we got 12" and the meet was canceled. That was 1975, so this really didn't come as a total surprise, just a major annoyance.I didn't even bother on Sunday- I don't shovel or blow snow while it's still falling and I don't rake leaves when the wind is blowing.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Wisconsin State Police reported 481 reports of cars off the road during the weekend snow storm. Not sure why so many were out and about during such a nasty storm.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
That's plain crazy. It's also the polar (pun intended) opposite of where I'm at in NM. This winter was full of record or near record high temps. Ditto for lack of precipitation and most days without rain. Recently we've been blasted with high winds 25+mph continuous and gust of 50-70mph. We're in a severe drought and expecting a lot fires this year.... There were warnings this winter telling us to water your outdoor plants, or they won't come back in spring. Prior to ~2005 I could tell you every fire that smoked out the Rio Grande valley since the 1970s. Now I can't tell you how many did that last year:(

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That's plain crazy. It's also the polar (pun intended) opposite of where I'm at in NM. This winter was full of record or near record high temps. Ditto for lack of precipitation and most days without rain. Recently we've been blasted with high winds 25+mph continuous and gust of 50-70mph. We're in a severe drought and expecting a lot fires this year.... There were warnings this winter telling us to water your outdoor plants, or they won't come back in spring. Prior to ~2005 I could tell you every fire that smoked out the Rio Grande valley since the 1970s. Now I can't tell you how many did that last year:(
It is snowing in far southern MN right now. It is starting to warm up but still freezing at night. It looks like the big Spring warm up will start this weekend. If that is so, then ice out should be around fishing opener on May 12. I think Leech lake however will likely miss out on fishing opener.

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
My Grandfather (Long Passed) had a cabin/home on Spirit Lake by Aitkin. Loved going there as a kid to fish and canoe. Loved all the Birch trees.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

My Grandfather (Long Passed) had a cabin/home on Spirit Lake by Aitkin. Loved going there as a kid to fish and canoe. Loved all the Birch trees.
Due to global warming we had a visit from the dreaded polar vortex a few years ago. It got down passed -40 F here with a howling wind. Aitken is North east of here getting close to the Superior national forest. Embarrass MN in the forest got to -53 F with a howling wind also. Birch tress do not like that and it killed the Birch trees stone dead.

We have a few on this property, but since that event some have died and the rest barely hanging on.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
In Minnesota and you have a convertible, if summer comes on a weekend, you can drive around with the top down.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis