Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Wow! Did you get it completed this quickly?
Well I can't say I completed anything except moving the driver & amp over. Build time took about a month and a half, which is expected with a hand made cabinet.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well I can't say I completed anything except moving the driver & amp over. Build time took about a month and a half, which is expected with a hand made cabinet.
Very nice.......I mean it's no raw MDF rectangular prism, but I guess it'll do :p :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Looking at amps again to replace the humming/hissing wonder that is the Outlaw 7125... Had my eye on the new Emersa lineup from Emotiva, but it's vaporware at this point and the lack of 4 ohm data is also a no-go. The new XPA line is intriguing, but that 19" depth is still a ballbuster. Technically it'd fit, but it wouldn't give me a lot of leeway. Right now the Marantz MM7055 looks like it'd fit the bill. It's not as capable in a 4 ohm ACD contest with the 7125, but it's not weak sauce either. Only "drawback" is that it doesn't look any more capable than the SR7010, so no cachet of having a super-powered amp. Then again, it fits the needs of my speakers, ears, and my wallet....

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Looking at amps again to replace the humming/hissing wonder that is the Outlaw 7125... Had my eye on the new Emersa lineup from Emotiva, but it's vaporware at this point and the lack of 4 ohm data is also a no-go. The new XPA line is intriguing, but that 19" depth is still a ballbuster. Technically it'd fit, but it wouldn't give me a lot of leeway. Right now the Marantz MM7055 looks like it'd fit the bill. It's not as capable in a 4 ohm ACD contest with the 7125, but it's not weak sauce either. Only "drawback" is that it doesn't look any more capable than the SR7010, so no cachet of having a super-powered amp. Then again, it fits the needs of my speakers, ears, and my wallet....
That new Monoprice Monolith 7 is a couple inches less deep. Plus, if you have issues with hiss I can buy that off of you too :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Got the MM7055 in last night, and got it hooked up. Initial impressions are mostly favorable. The EI transformer takes up a serious amount of real estate, and the capacitors look like they're about the size of an 8oz can of soda. They're 2 x 33,000uF/71V parts, which compares favorably with the 2 x 10,000uF/63V parts in the Marantz SR6004 Gene reviewed a couple years back (equates to more than 4x the energy storage if nothing else). Overall build quality of the chassis doesn't seem quite as solid as the Outlaw, but still more than adequate. Only real gripe in that respect is the chintzy binding posts. No big deal for me since I use banana plugs anyway, but it's something with a little room for improvement. Posts are well spaced at least, and there's a sheet of plastic over the chassis in that area presumably to keep any stray strands of wire from making contact. It's also a lot nicer looking than the Outlaw 7125, which is a drab gray all around.

The big upside of course is that it fixes the problems I had with the Outlaw. No hum is audible even with my ear 1 foot from the amp, and hiss appears to be gone as well. I took the fan out of the equation (the MM7055 has active cooling anyway), so the in room noise floor is appreciably lower. Might just be placebo effect, but it seems to make a useful difference in low level listening (i.e. watching TV). I haven't had time to really put it through its paces yet, but it didn't get more than warm to the touch after being on for an hour or so at moderately high levels. I'll test that out a bit more for an expanded preview article (no, I'm not going to do a full review w/ a subjective piece & no measurements). If I'm bored, I might compare the FR to the Outlaw through one of my speakers, though I already know what the answer is going to be.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
And now all the Emo gear (XDA-2, XPA-200, ERC-3) from my second setup has been replaced with a Marantz PM6005. Theoretically its a downgrade having about a third of the rated power of the XPA-200, but it's got more than enough power for what I do with that setup (now in my living room, but still mediocre placement for the near term) and the inputs I need. Since I got the PM6005 and the MM7055 on the cheap, the gear swapping has netted me a few bucks for booze in return. Maybe some Nordost wire too :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'll do my best to snap a couple tonight. They aren't all that neat to look at, but better than the old stuff I suppose.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The MM7055 & UMC-200.
UMC-200 & MM7055.jpg
And the 2nd setup w/ the PM6005.
2nd Setup.jpg
I'd like to put those speakers further apart on stands, but it'd take some rearrangement in the living room, and I don't have any authority there...

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That little integrated is sweet. Good job on getting the better pic so I could oggle that a little. Nothing better than playing around with new gear. My 7 channel monster has a start up hum and then if I listen carefully I can hear it from a foot away but first I have to turn off the laptop to lower the noise floor in the room. Pretty quiet I guess.I wonder what the start up hum is about.

I thought my 7 channel amp did a better job with the bottom end at low spl than a Yammy 663 but not enough better to justify all the wiring. I'm surprised you didn't take before and after measurements. You're not gonna get mod of the month like this. :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Speaking of measurements, here are a couple for the second system, both taken at the listening position (such that it is).
Left:
Left.png
Right:
Right.png

Not awful considering the only EQ involved is a little bass boost on the Marantz. Sounds pretty good too.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
So as most of you have probably seen, the 18.0 is up for sale, and the order is now officially in for a Funk 21" sub utilizing this driver: http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/588-4-sealed-21-funk-audio-uh-21v1/

Basic details are a 4.5CF box, 21" driver, and two channels worth of 2.4kW amplification, with the second channel being for a slave cabinet somewhere in the future. This new sub will have double the low end capability of the 18.0 as well as a bit more on the top end due to the additional efficiency of the 21" driver.

One detail about it is that in the aforementioned box, it will achieve a very low Qtc, around 0.35. I believe (but could be mistaken) that the 18.0 is in the ballpark of 0.7, so I'll be interested to see if I can note any difference in perceived tightness (not holding my breath, but you never know). Now it's time for the waiting game...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So as most of you have probably seen, the 18.0 is up for sale, and the order is now officially in for a Funk 21" sub utilizing this driver: http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/588-4-sealed-21-funk-audio-uh-21v1/

Basic details are a 4.5CF box, 21" driver, and two channels worth of 2.4kW amplification, with the second channel being for a slave cabinet somewhere in the future. This new sub will have double the low end capability of the 18.0 as well as a bit more on the top end due to the additional efficiency of the 21" driver.

One detail about it is that in the aforementioned box, it will achieve a very low Qtc, around 0.35. I believe (but could be mistaken) that the 18.0 is in the ballpark of 0.7, so I'll be interested to see if I can note any difference in perceived tightness (not holding my breath, but you never know). Now it's time for the waiting game...
I noticed in your first pic of this thread (assuming you probably don't have the same setup now) that your tv is mounted pretty high. I have a mount arriving today and I'm wanting to mount mine about 10 - 15" higher than it is now. Did you have any issues with your screen mounted that high?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The latest development in the saga...

The wife and I have been cleaning out some of the accumulated crap in our basement, and to go along with those efforts, we've replaced a couple seats with a chair-and-a-half and rearranged some other spots, with the net effect being...I can accommodate both the new 21" beast along with the current 18". The Funk is off the market :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The latest development in the saga...

The wife and I have been cleaning out some of the accumulated crap in our basement, and to go along with those efforts, we've replaced a couple seats with a chair-and-a-half and rearranged some other spots, with the net effect being...I can accommodate both the new 21" beast along with the current 18". The Funk is off the market :D
Awesome. That's going to be a bit insane. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis