Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
You're eating pizza and surfing for pics of Jolene Blalock, aren't you?
Nah, last night consisted of cleaning/laundry and watching movies at full reference level :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Fortunately for me, she's not quite that bad :D

Depending on content, we'll usually watch around -20dB to -30dB; if it's just me, I'll usually range from -5dB to -15dB. It's a very rare occasion that I push to 0, but I figured while the wife is out of town, I might as well play :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
So I'm thinking about amplification these days. The wallet hasn't yet cooled down from the KEF purchase, but that's not exactly going to stop me from ogling fancy looking pieces of equipment. As it is, I've got the Onkyo 707 and the Emo XPA-200. My plans include moving the Emo upstairs and pairing that with one of their DACs, and then putting in a 5+ channel amplifier to replace it in the theater setup.

My thoughts are that

1. I'd like something in the 100W/ch 8 ohm / 200W/ch 4 ohm range.
2. I'd prefer something a little less deep than the Emotiva.
3. I'd prefer not to have to deal with something on the order of 80+ pounds.
4. I'd prefer something that under 7" tall.
5. I'd prefer something where the binding posts have a decent amount of spacing to reduce the potential for shorts (the locking plugs on my BJC wiring make me a little paranoid).
6. Made in the "first world" is always a bonus.
7. Given that the Outlaw 7125 meets all of these criteria except potentially the binding post spacing, and offers two extra channels to boot, I can't really justify spending much beyond $1000 (though it's not a hard limit by any means).

The only other amps that I've come across thus far that are somewhere in the ballpark of what I'm looking for are the Parasound A52 (costly, a little too deep), and the Adcom GFA-7605 (2 year warranty, made where?).

As always, thoughts, comments, concerns, and ridicule over my obsessive/compulsive ways are welcome.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
XPA-3 and run the surrounds off the AVR. So its too deep and pretty heavy. Deal with it :) Plenty of space between the posts. With those WBT binding posts and my locking bananas, it sticks WAY out the back of my rack, but I had already taken the back off because of my Marantz previously.

Seriously, just go with the Outlaw though :)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
There's this, but it only has 23 hours left which may not give you enough time to decide.
It's less about time to decide and more about giving my wife time to forget how much I spend on this hobby :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It's less about time to decide and more about giving my wife time to forget how much I spend on this hobby :D
Obviously you need to learn from Alex, since his significant other didn't even notice the giant silver Aragon for weeks after he brought it home :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Actually my lovely wife mentioned tonight that once I get the old Klipsch setup moved out of the house, I can proceed with my next set of upgrades. Of course, mum was the word on how that had to happen :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
IPS-1, babeee. I can probably let it go for under a grand.

China's in the first world, aren't they? :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
So I'm thinking about amplification these days. The wallet hasn't yet cooled down from the KEF purchase, but that's not exactly going to stop me from ogling fancy looking pieces of equipment. As it is, I've got the Onkyo 707 and the Emo XPA-200. My plans include moving the Emo upstairs and pairing that with one of their DACs, and then putting in a 5+ channel amplifier to replace it in the theater setup.

My thoughts are that

1. I'd like something in the 100W/ch 8 ohm / 200W/ch 4 ohm range.
2. I'd prefer something a little less deep than the Emotiva.
3. I'd prefer not to have to deal with something on the order of 80+ pounds.
4. I'd prefer something that under 7" tall.
5. I'd prefer something where the binding posts have a decent amount of spacing to reduce the potential for shorts (the locking plugs on my BJC wiring make me a little paranoid).
6. Made in the "first world" is always a bonus.
7. Given that the Outlaw 7125 meets all of these criteria except potentially the binding post spacing, and offers two extra channels to boot, I can't really justify spending much beyond $1000 (though it's not a hard limit by any means).

The only other amps that I've come across thus far that are somewhere in the ballpark of what I'm looking for are the Parasound A52 (costly, a little too deep), and the Adcom GFA-7605 (2 year warranty, made where?).

As always, thoughts, comments, concerns, and ridicule over my obsessive/compulsive ways are welcome.
After carefully disregarding all of the above criteria I suggest this:

ARAGON 4004 mark 2 | Solid state | Lindenhurst, New York 11757 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis