Stereo System/Subwoofer Matching/Integration/Connections

• Thread starter Timothy A. Kogstrom
  • Start date
T

Timothy A. Kogstrom

Audiophyte
To Whom it Might Generate Interest:

I am in the process of "building" a secondary stereo system, the left and right channel monitors of which are "Audience Audio", Clairaudient 1+1 V2+'s...and wish to augment the limited bass response of these little jewels with one, or two, subwoofers. Ultimately, I await a monitor specific, dedicated active crossover to become available for these limited freq. range monitors, however, until then, would be forced to connect the subwoofer(s) to the line level outputs of my integrated amplifier, OR use speaker-level output into the subwoofer(s)...

The subwoofers under current consideration:

REL Audio T/5i or perhaps T/7i,
OR
JL Audio Dominion series, D108, or D110

I am attempting to determine which subwoofer design would best integrate with my 1+1 monitors, maximize my system in general, and ultimately create the most "musical" stereo system...

Exclusively music listening, currently: primarily small ensemble instrumental, a capella renaissance vocal music, HOWEVER, would like "full" frequency range in order to listen to large Orchestral/Orchestral Choral works, if not pipe organ music.

Currently listening in relatively small space, (11' x 12' x 8'), however, this system may move into a larger space...

I look forward to your responses/suggestions/advice...

Thank you.

Sincerely,
T.A.K.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would guess that the JL Audio subs would have a bit more headroom. However, you won't need a lot of output capability for your musical tastes. I think either one will do. What will make a much greater difference is the care with which you set them up. I would insert a crossover into the signal chain so that the frequency overlap between the subs and speakers is well controlled. Placement will also be important so be sure to look at subwoofer placement guides online- Audioholics has a few. Also make sure the sub is in phase with the speakers!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Why are you set on these 2 brands? I think there are better options available. Where are you located?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis