Stereo setup..which would be better for me..

Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
Havnt posted in a whilee..went through alotta **** but things are going ok now..

Anyway, im doing a new setup and looking at the

-Klipsch RB-61
-Onyx XLS--Just notice they have a tower version available..might consider that being that they say it has better over-all bass extension

I didn't get the chance to demo Onyx but have read nothing but good things.

Im looking for a speaker that can give me that on-demand dynamic sound with ease and no real fatigue or sings of stress when I am crankin it up.

Mostly heavy metal screaming type music..Not going to have a sub for a few months so it should have some kinda "umph" to it.

The room is not very big at all..about 15x15 give or take..So im mean either one should have a problem to fill the room with sound..

So what you guys think would be better for me? I know the price range is different but im not looking for "well for the price its good blah blah blah" That really means nothing to me...thankss

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The X-LS, and presumably the X-SLS can take plenty of power. Do they sound good? You've already read reviews. They have some minor issues, but they also have some upgrades available as well as new versions of the speakers coming out very soon with many of those upgrades for not much more. They can handle metal, but may not suit your needs 100% if that is all you are going to play on them. I would recommend trying the 30 day risk free trial of the X-LS and know for sure if they are what you need.

If it is metal you are after though, you may want to go with Klipsch...

These two brands could not sound more different IMO, so you aren't comparing apples to oranges.

What do you plan on powering them with?

A

angstadt530

Audioholic
Yeah, I've been waiting to find out what those new towers are like for months. They should be pretty promising. I would put off your decision for a few weeks/months and find out how good those towers turn out to be.

I listen to similar music pretty often, and without a sub, I'm concerned that the Klipsch RB-61s won't give you the bass extension you need. A lot of 'heavier' bands use double-bass pedals and lots of bass guitar to really deliver their music; a small bookshelf setup isn't going to provide that heart-pounding "thump" you want to be hearing/feeling in the drums are being kicked.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
I have no advice for you about either set of speakers but one thing is for sure,you can easily tripple the quality of speakers you end up with from buying used.

Take your budget for speakers & look around audiogon before leaping on any brand new speaker,instead of ending up with brand new speakers that are OK sounding you can score some kick a$$ sounding used ones used.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have no advice for you about either set of speakers but one thing is for sure,you can easily tripple the quality of speakers you end up with from buying used.

Take your budget for speakers & look around audiogon before leaping on any brand new speaker,instead of ending up with brand new speakers that are OK sounding you can score some kick a$$ sounding used ones used.
That is an excellent recommendation, however I would also strongly recommend you KNOW what you're looking for specifically and what it is worth used to really score that way. SO, listen and find what you like first, then go used shopping.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
That is an excellent recommendation, however I would also strongly recommend you KNOW what you're looking for specifically and what it is worth used to really score that way. SO, listen and find what you like first, then go used shopping.

The way i always buy used gear is by using the zip code search feature so i can see & hear everything in person,buying speakers without hearing them is a very bad idea,plus shipping costs & shipping damage suck.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've had excellent luck with Audiogon so far (that is not a guarantee to anyone else), but I too will prefer to look local because checking it out in person can be extremely important.

Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
yea i listen to really all types of music from rap to rock to classical to trance/techno..but i want this setup to be really dedicated to detail and dynamics for rock/metal..

and i would buy used but the only thing is i never know what speakers to really look at. Their are so many different audio names that have great stuff but i really never know what to get..

And they will be powered by an amp not a receiver..more than likely the A500

Im thinking the Klipsch will be my best bet..but im still looking

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
yea i listen to really all types of music from rap to rock to classical to trance/techno..but i want this setup to be really dedicated to detail and dynamics for rock/metal..
That is definitely going to be a big factor in your choice. The best speakers for, say, jazz will not neccesarily be best for what you want. Take plenty of your own music to auditions.
(FWIW I got rid of my Klipsch speakers and would never recommend them to anyone. I found them excessively bright and fatiguing.)

Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
Yea i definitly understand what your saying..I listen to alot of Jazz too lol..

I mean i really dont think any speaker is going to give me the sound i want right out of the box with out No type of EQing..Because for 1 I listen to alot of different types of music at alot of diff times..So either way I will have to have some sacrafice in the overall Sound Quality..depending on what im listening too..

But i mean for these speakers..as long as it can give me the dynamics and detail that i want for my rock/metal..Ill be happy.

Please throw out any other speakers you feel will benifit me in my situation.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I think it's time to start the auditioning process. So many times I liked speakers that I thought I would not and visa versa. Did you ever put in a price range in this thread? This post is in part a small reminder to j garcia comments in post 5.

Nick

Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
im trying to stay in the 350ish range and under ofcourse..

and i really do not have time to audition speakers..and the shops around here are just not worth the time half the people do not know what speaker is which or how to set it up and i dont have time to explain how to use a reciever or dvd player to people..full time school and work here..

So please for those who listen to my type of music just throw out reccomendations thanks..the klipsch is looking good to me though because i have herd it and was happy with the sound so more than likely its gonna be that..but i am open

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
im trying to stay in the 350ish range and under ofcourse..

and i really do not have time to audition speakers..and the shops around here are just not worth the time half the people do not know what speaker is which or how to set it up and i dont have time to explain how to use a reciever or dvd player to people..full time school and work here..

So please for those who listen to my type of music just throw out reccomendations thanks..the klipsch is looking good to me though because i have herd it and was happy with the sound so more than likely its gonna be that..but i am open
Klipsch speakers are Excellent speakers for Hard Rock & Heavy Metal,or Death metal,being that your not able to audition much & you have allready heard the Klipsch i'd say jump on them,plus if your looking for speakers that play loud nobody does that better than Klipsch,what they give up in terms of "audiophile" sound they make up for in dynamics,for the type music you listen to you want a speaker that is dynamic sounding above all else.

Get the Klipsch.

E

EnzoPolotso

Audioholic Intern
Maybe you should look for something in between. I find Klipschs excessively bright for anything not rock/metal (and most of the time even for those genres), but the X-LSs might be too laid back. Ascend, perhaps?

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
If I was buying blind at that price range, the Ascend CBM-170SE would be at the top of my list. After that. I would save up for an x sub, $199, and get that when the funds are available.

That said, buying used makes a lot of bang for your buck too. I have had a Hsu VTF-2 for six years with zero problems. Same for my Paradigm Studio 20's for that matter.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html

Nick

Last edited:
Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
Yea im going to be building my own sub setup so im not worried about that..

I was looking at some used gear but not sure which to get..and audiogon mostly has stuff that are way over my price range..what are some "used" speakers that I should be looking at?

J

Jason Coleman

Banned
Dude, you just need to look around at what's in your price range and listen to as much as you can. If you're looking for a pair of speakers that give you that particular sound you like, only you can determine what's what. And I wouldn't necessarily shell out much cash on a pair of speakers that only performs well when fed a certain brand of music.

J.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
But i mean for these speakers..as long as it can give me the dynamics and detail that i want for my rock/metal..Ill be happy.

Please throw out any other speakers you feel will benifit me in my situation.
Sounds like some JBL's might be right up your alley. They'll give you the dynamics you want, are more musical and less fatiguing than the Klipsch, and can be had cheaply. There are a couple of pair of E90's on Ebay right now (no relation to me) at $149/pair.

Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
The E90s look Huge..i need something a lil smaller..and i herd some of the old NorthRidge series and wasnt to happy with em.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis