Stereo Bluetooth Speakers for a Buddy

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Gang,

I'm not well versed in what's available these days in the world of stereo Bluetooth speakers that sound decent and won't break the bank.
A good buddy and his wife have bought a new townhouse and want some smallish (OMG!) wireless speakers (Bluetooth?) that they can place on either side of their TV, surprisingly with a plug nearby each location for power. They don't want a wire between them, and hopefully not too large. They moved their receiver off to a side cove where they've set up a small office area with 2 wired speakers, and a (another OMG) new for them Turntable. They want to use Zone 2 for these speakers. The primary source will be Spotify, and it seems no TV sound. I know they could head down the road of Sonos, Heos, etc. But what do you think would be the right solution?

Do you know of anything that will fit the bill?

Thanks for the assist.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What is the receiver make and model? What is the budget for the speakers?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
It's a
What is the receiver make and model? What is the budget for the speakers?
It's a Onkyo TX-NR696. He went ahead and bought a Bluetooth Transmitter for it to try with his mono Bose Bluetooth Speaker. But he seems willing to go to another device instead. He even talked about getting a new receiver but I doubt that would pass the WAF. o_O

No $$ have been discussed yet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know nothing but was curious, seems some of these can do it wirelessly via BT (5.0 feature?), whether WAF will be met, dunno.https://www.guidingtech.com/best-bluetooth-speakers-with-stereo-pairing/ but I'd rather see a manual....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for trying but there's a cable between the two speakers in all of there models that I looked at.

A definite no, no for the WAF.
I think they all need a pairing cable as you would expect. That friend of yours needs a different wife.

I would open up the wall and run the lead in the wall if that is a deal breaker.

Actually the solution to the interior design issues is a building project. We have not had wires showing in our homes.

This is a system we had in our Grand Forks home.

You never saw wires and when you shut the door, the equipment was not seen.

No speaker wires visible either.

There is absolutely no need to have a wire visible, if you are smart about it.

You don't have to go wireless not to have visible wiring.

There is nowhere enough good interior design around audio and AV systems. Opening walls is actually not that big a deal. Drywalling is not prohibitively expensive and repainting is easy.

If your friend commits to a bit of remodelling he will get a much better, more versatile and actually more enjoyable and livable spaces.

My wife would not tolerate wires seen about the place and I would not expect her to.

Even back in 1953 when we moved into the OP we had no visible wires. When doors and lids were closed you would have had no idea there was an audio system in the room. So I have over 70 years experience with "wireless" systems, at least non visible wires.

In my late teens I got the job of installing an audio system in the Guilt Hall of the former Earls of Darnley's historic home. That had an organ in the Balcony that had been played by George Frederic Handel. I leaned an early lesson on that job, as it failed fairly promptly as mice ate through the wiring I had passed under the floors.
Lesson learned. Wires go in conduits!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, found a manual for the Anker in that listing, needs a 3.5mm male/male cable to get them "paired"

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I think they all need a pairing cable as you would expect. That friend of yours needs a different wife.

I would open up the wall and run the lead in the wall if that is a deal breaker.

Actually the solution to the interior design issues is a building project. We have not had wires showing in our homes.

This is a system we had in our Grand Forks home.

You never saw wires and when you shut the door, the equipment was not seen.

No speaker wires visible either.

There is absolutely no need to have a wire visible, if you are smart about it.

You don't have to go wireless not to have visible wiring.

There is nowhere enough good interior design around audio and AV systems. Opening walls is actually not that big a deal. Drywalling is not prohibitively expensive and repainting is easy.

If your friend commits to a bit of remodelling he will get a much better, more versatile and actually more enjoyable and livable spaces.

My wife would not tolerate wires seen about the place and I would not expect her to.

Even back in 1953 when we moved into the OP we had no visible wires. When doors and lids were closed you would have had no idea there was an audio system in the room. So I have over 70 years experience with "wireless" systems, at least non visible wires.

In my late teens I got the job of installing an audio system in the Guilt Hall of the former Earls of Darnley's historic home. That had an organ in the Balcony that had been played by George Frederic Handel. I leaned an early lesson on that job, as it failed fairly promptly as mice ate through the wiring I had passed under the floors.
Lesson learned. Wires go in conduits!
I don't disagree that if wires drive you nuts, then hide them. It's not that hard to do. But that's me, and not my Buddy and his Wife. I told him to pre-wire (in conduit) while it was being built. I even offered to go there with him (4 hours away) and do the install. He never took me up on it.

It's like my Grandpa always said: You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink! ;)

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
If waf issues are this severe. It's best to let them go.

You should tell the waf. No wires means no sound.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't disagree that if wires drive you nuts, then hide them. It's not that hard to do. But that's me, and not my Buddy and his Wife. I told him to pre-wire (in conduit) while it was being built. I even offered to go there with him (4 hours away) and do the install. He never took me up on it.

It's like my Grandpa always said: You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink! ;)
After hearing you helped solve the problem during construction, that chap sounds like a pig headed idiot. I bet he did not give a thought to the house Ethernet infrastructure either. I blame builders also. They do not understand how to build a home in the modern information era. You have to drag them screaming, I can tell you that.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
After hearing you helped solve the problem during construction, that chap sounds like a pig headed idiot. I bet he did not give a thought to the house Ethernet infrastructure either. I blame builders also. They do not understand how to build a home in the modern information era. You have to drag them screaming, I can tell you that.
I offered to do the whole design and install of the LAN, sound, and cable via conduit with pull strings too. (I'm a licensed Electrician with a separate year of Electrical Technologist's training - so this is not hard for me even though I left the trades decades ago.) I pushed him to talk to the Builder as well as an option to my installing everything, but I think that fell on deaf ears. I think they thought the wireless world would unfold before they got it finished. It's a 3 level Townhouse (with an Elevator!) and a fabulous sundeck with a Hot Tub on the 4th level with views. Pretty upscale if you ask me. They plan to put a 55 inch TV up there near the Hot Tub. It's really a great retirement home, and they love the town too.

@Trebdp83 , I only see powered wireless speakers with an Inter-speaker cable so far. There are portable ones with batteries, and no cable, but I don't think that would apply here. I think the sound quality wouldn't suffice, never mind the appearance of them.

I guess I'm still looking...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The KEF include the inter-speaker cable as a back up. They are wirelessly connected by default. Each will have a power cord for connection to a power outlet of course but require no other wires to actually function. They are a nifty set of speakers for those wanting to send audio to them but don't want wires, other than the power cords, running all over the place. They support Airplay 2, Bluetooth and Chromecast. Spotify and Tidal Connect are also present here and the app supports several services.

However, when using a system such as this with a receiver such as the Onkyo TX-NR696, it's best to use a third device such as a PC or Smart device as the source and wirelessly send the signal to the KEF and the Onkyo at once using Airplay 2 or Chromecast. Airplay 2 does not contain Zone restrictions like Chromecast or Play-Fi so the Onkyo can support another set of speakers for a third location when sending a signal over Airplay 2 to the KEF and the Onkyo. Different volume level settings can be made using Airplay 2 for each set of speakers and/or Zones. Airplay 2 is limited to 24/48 so nothing lost or gained by the KEF 24/48 wireless limit.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
The KEF include the inter-speaker cable as a back up. They are wirelessly connected by default. Each will have a power cord for connection to a power outlet of course but require no other wires to actually function. They are a nifty set of speakers for those wanting to send audio to them but don't want wires, other than the power cords, running all over the place. They support Airplay 2, Bluetooth and Chromecast. Spotify and Tidal Connect are also present here and the app supports several services.

However, when using a system such as this with a receiver such as the Onkyo TX-NR696, it's best to use a third device such as a PC or Smart device as the source and wirelessly send the signal to the KEF and the Onkyo at once using Airplay 2 or Chromecast. Airplay 2 does not contain Zone restrictions like Chromecast or Play-Fi so the Onkyo can support another set of speakers for a third location when sending a signal over Airplay 2 to the KEF and the Onkyo. Different volume level settings can be made using Airplay 2 for each set of speakers and/or Zones. Airplay 2 is limited to 24/48 so nothing lost or gained by the KEF 24/48 wireless limit.
:oops: Duh! boy do I feel bad. I totally missed the statement about being wirelessly connected by default. Even though the type was huge! I get it now. Sorry for my mistake.

These do look promising as he can just beam the tunes from Spofity directly from his iPhone or iPad, or do it via the Onkyo with his Bluetooth transmitter so he can use his turntable.

I'm also checking out PSB Alpha iQ (Manual) as well.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There are definitely some interesting wireless options out there. But, many with older routers need to also upgrade their network when wanting state of the art network audio. A poorly place wireless G router from Linksys isn't going to cut it anymore. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis