Stereo amps Vs AVRs

Which one of the following would you choose for the best audio quality?

• An Integrated amp

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • An AVR

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • They have the same audio quality

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
W

whiplash

Junior Audioholic
My preference is using the BDP-95 dedicated unbalanced analog outputs connected to the Yamaha 7.1 FL/FR analog inputs.

- Rich
Interesting point of view, I'm wondering one thing, if you do like you said, that means the music which you play with the oppo, which is digital, after you pass by RCA in analog from the Oppo to the AVR, and once arrived in the AVR will be conversion again in digital. It's not better to do not be to don't "use" the double conversion?

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Interesting point of view, I'm wondering one thing, if you do like you said, that means the music which you play with the oppo, which is digital, after you pass by RCA in analog from the Oppo to the AVR, and once arrived in the AVR will be conversion again in digital. It's not better to do not be to don't "use" the double conversion?
There is double conversion because this (any many AVRs) cannot digitize the 7.1 analog inputs. The AVR is acting an analog preamp supplying volume control.

- Rich

W

whiplash

Junior Audioholic
There is double conversion because this (any many AVRs) cannot digitize the 7.1 analog inputs. The AVR is acting an analog preamp supplying volume control.

- Rich

I see. I'm looking to add a HDMI card to the Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 if I will choice this one, to can connect my UDP-203 to him. It's a good idea or no?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I've had hafler and McIntosh as part of my total setup before, which was part of my surround system. I ended up selling the vintage gear as I felt there wasnt any sonic advantage over my avr. The avr was a pioneer vsx 94 was measured at 180w per channel @8ohms and .08 thd and the McIntosh measured at 280w at 8ohms at .003 thd. I listen to jazz and classical and have never been able to discern a audiable difference. I now run multiple amps in my setup, 3 are the behringer a500s for the surrounds and a hafler 500 for the mains . I have never felt the pioneer couldn't handle the load in my 2300 cubic foot room. The only reason I run separates is so I can update my pre to keep current formats. Current avr is now a marantz 6010 without the hafler. My 2 channel system is powered by a crown xls 1502, Yamaha 995 as the pre and a pair of Dave Ellis speakers. That's a 19 year old pre amp, class d amp and some seriously nice drivers. Don't over pay for electronics

Last edited:
W

whiplash

Junior Audioholic
I've had hafler and McIntosh as part of my total setup before, which was part of my surround system. I ended up selling the vintage gear as I felt there wasnt any sonic advantage over my avr. The avr was a pioneer vsx 94 was measured at 180w per channel @8ohms and .08 thd and the McIntosh measured at 280w at 8ohms at .003 thd. I listen to jazz and classical and have never been able to discern a audiable difference. I know run multiple amps in my setup, 3 are the behringer a500s for the surrounds and a hafler 500 for the mains . I have never felt the pioneer couldn't handle the load in my 2300 cubic foot room. The only reason I run separates is so I can update my pre to keep current formats. Current avr is now a marantz 6010 without the hafler. My 2 channel system is powered by a crown xls 1502, Yamaha 995 as the pre and a pair of Dave Ellis speakers. That's a 19 year old pre amp, class d amp and some seriously nice drivers. Don't over pay for electronics
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand it well, but if you mean your integrate amp was vintage, for me is like to compare a car from 2000 and one from 2015.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I see. I'm looking to add a HDMI card to the Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 if I will choice this one, to can connect my UDP-203 to him. It's a good idea or no?
The Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 looks like a very nice piece. I guess you'd be going out HDMI (with blank video) and then D/A in the 203 then to a Lyngdorf analog input. That's an expensive and complicated approach and you may not like it better.

I have a couple of friends using a BDP-105(D) one connected to Parasound A21 and another to an ATI6007 amps. This fits better into their space and sounds really good.

- Rich

W

whiplash

Junior Audioholic
The Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 looks like a very nice piece. I guess you'd be going out HDMI (with blank video) and then D/A in the 203 then to a Lyngdorf analog input. That's an expensive and complicated approach and you may not like it better.

I have a couple of friends using a BDP-105(D) one connected to Parasound A21 and another to an ATI6007 amps. This fits better into their space and sounds really good.

- Rich
I asked you that, because a dealer make me an offer with the HDMI(2k, 1.4) card at the same price, cause Lyngdorf made an update for the card. The new one is 4K.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand it well, but if you mean your integrate amp was vintage, for me is like to compare a car from 2000 and one from 2015.
The McIntosh amp sells for about 4K used currently, the amp was serviced regularly about every ten years. My point is that any audiophoole would cry to have it their system and unless you were driving speakers that were in 2 ohm range, i.e. Electrostatic panels , it wasn't the cats meow. Any current avr in the mid to upper range was indistinguishable

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Speakers matter.

I connected an 80 watt Yamaha AVR to the Salon2's and it was not a good match even moderate levels The Salon2's are not an easy load.

If only considering the power specs and speaker specs, there should be no problem at modest volume level. I have not found this to be the case.

- Rich
It depends on what moderate level means in your case, room size, distance from speakers, SPL, volume position etc. We both know very few people would even think about driving the Salon2 with an AVR, let alone a 80W AVR, unless you are listening at 0.1W average (as I do), and listen to music with less than 20 dB dynamic peaks.

By the way, I finally started using jRiver, like it so far, much easier to use with multiple DACs than Foobar. Are you thinking about ordering the Oppo Sonica DAC too?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think in terms of ACTUAL sound quality, both are equal if in DIRECT mode.

But Denon & Marantz AVRs have Audyssey DYNAMIC EQ, which I think makes the Denon & Marantz sound BETTER than the integrated amps.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why would you use an integrated amp if you're using the avr as pre?

G

gzubeck

Audioholic
I asked you that, because a dealer make me an offer with the HDMI(2k, 1.4) card at the same price, cause Lyngdorf made an update for the card. The new one is 4K.
Your willing to spend $4k to hook up to $2000 speakers? Sounds like you want a fully integrated digital system with room correction. This is a fairly sophisticated Integrated digital class d amp. Your comparing a $1200 avr to a $4K product. It better sound better.

W

whiplash

Junior Audioholic
Your willing to spend $4k to hook up to $2000 speakers? Sounds like you want a fully integrated digital system with room correction. This is a fairly sophisticated Integrated digital class d amp. Your comparing a $1200 avr to a $4K product. It better sound better.
If you did read better you could see the price for Lingdorf TDAI-2170 with HDMI card(1.4) is at the same price like the basic model. Told ya, a dealer make me this offert. And no, I didn't compare a $4k with a $1200. Go and read the article posted by Rich and you will understand better, that in case you want to admit the reality, if not, is up to you and to others who believe the same thing like you :)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
From my experience, and I'm not claiming to be a pro but do have some small experience with this, a stereo amplifier sounds no different from a quality AVR from Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, etc. The only time you might tell a difference is if you have very inefficient or hard to drive speakers and need a lot of power.
This is true, but you can also get more power from an AVR. It's not like it has to be power from an amp (although I don't know up to what power do the AVR's go).

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Go and read the article posted by Rich and you will understand better, that in case you want to admit the reality, if not, is up to you and to others who believe the same thing like you :)
whiplash, you're like "confirmation bias incarnated":) were you looking for advice or a friend?

W

whiplash

Junior Audioholic
whiplash, you're like "confirmation bias incarnated":) were you looking for advice or a friend?

Yeah, it's not true :) I don't have bias, I think you can say that about nostalgic people, they have bias about old gears it's better than news thing, here I made the comparison between gears in the same range of price. For me it's like the nostalgic people who say for exemple Ford Mustang '67 it's steel better like many cars on out time(I talk about Mustang with original pieces, even if this are brand new). And don't get me wrong, Mustang '67 it's my dream too, but with the latest technologie.

I will make another comparison, which would be the average age of life in this days if the docs would use still in out days the old "gears", because in the end, the old scalpels cut just as good like the new ones, the only difference is in our day he have bipolar scalpel WHICH make a HUGE difference in some specific operations, in fact make the difference between LIFE and DEAD.(I will not describe exactly in which one, this is another subject). And just was a simple comparison, we can find how many you want.

My point is, an open mind will make ALWAYS progress, at least give it a try and conclude afterwards.

Best regards. :)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis