Status Acoustics Titus 8T Loudspeaker System Q&A Interview

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
coming from a pair of T30s which are equivalent to 1010-SE/R subs only with 50% more box volume so they play even lower, the Titus 8T is quite a substantial upgrade not just in output but how it plays into the room. Those giant rear ports load the room almost like having additional bass drivers towards the back of the cabinet. Just using the 8Ts as large towers with LFE routed to them and no sub channel used, I get incredible bass at every listening seat which was something I couldn't achieve with the T30s.
You're making me drool! I'd be very curious to see or hear from someone at RBH how the 8T compares to the original Titus. 6 10" drivers vs 3 of the upgraded beryllium drivers. Not that I'd want more, but just to know if it is an upgrade to them or just a simpler version of what I already have.

AcuDefTechGuy, since you have heard the RBH 1010's, how would you compare their bass sound to the rest of your gear? Do you have 2 1010's? I haven't heard better sounding bass, but I would like to see how your ears compare them to your other high end gear.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You're making me drool! I'd be very curious to see or hear from someone at RBH how the 8T compares to the original Titus. 6 10" drivers vs 3 of the upgraded beryllium drivers. Not that I'd want more, but just to know if it is an upgrade to them or just a simpler version of what I already have.

AcuDefTechGuy, since you have heard the RBH 1010's, how would you compare their bass sound to the rest of your gear? Do you have 2 1010's? I haven't heard better sounding bass, but I would like to see how your ears compare them to your other high end gear.
Don't forget the original 10" driver on the Status Titus have 1/2 the excursion of the new 10" drivers used on the 8Ts. I asked Shane about this and he said the bass from the 8T is a significant step up from the original Titus. That being said the original Titus are incredible performers and I think you should be happy with what you have already :)

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
I knew the new drivers were much better. I hope they don't loose accuracy by adding more movement. Boom is good, but not at the cost of accuracy. I'm sure they kept the sound quality to at least as good as they were. I'll love reading your review when it's done.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the RBH 1010 compare extremely well to the other high quality woofers. Very tight, accurate, punchy.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I knew the new drivers were much better. I hope they don't loose accuracy by adding more movement. Boom is good, but not at the cost of accuracy. I'm sure they kept the sound quality to at least as good as they were. I'll love reading your review when it's done.
Shane spent years developing and testing the improved bass driver. He is meticulous about having good bass and was very careful in designing the new driver to be as musical as the old one. I was present during some of his preliminary testing when he had a bunch of different high mass drivers that just didn't cut it.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Shane spent years developing and testing the improved bass driver. He is meticulous about having good bass and was very careful in designing the new driver to be as musical as the old one. I was present during some of his preliminary testing when he had a bunch of different high mass drivers that just didn't cut it.
...........You got me interested. In what ways didn't the others cut it? Were they less linear at longer throws?

Or was it an optimal box size and inductance issue? Were they just too power hungry/inefficient?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
...........You got me interested. In what ways didn't the others cut it? Were they less linear at longer throws?

Or was it an optimal box size and inductance issue? Were they just too power hungry/inefficient?
It's been a long time so I don't remember all the issues other than some of the drivers sounded very one-notey. Yes efficiency and inductance were issues I recall.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm listening to my B&W 802D2 + RBH SX-1010N subs, and I'm so loving it. And I can't help but ponder the notion of pairing my 802D2 with dual Titus 8T subs one delightful dreamy day. :cool:

Gene, you must tell Shane that fans would be very disappointed if he does not offer the Titus 8T subs. He doesn't have to use the same 4TC Kimber cables if he doesn't want. As long as we get the 8T subs. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm listening to my B&W 802D2 + RBH SX-1010N subs, and I'm so loving it. And I can't help but ponder the notion of pairing my 802D2 with dual Titus 8T subs one delightful dreamy day. :cool:

Gene, you must tell Shane that fans would be very disappointed if he does not offer the Titus 8T subs. He doesn't have to use the same 4TC Kimber cables if he doesn't want. As long as we get the 8T subs. :D
If you had a pair of 8T subs it would be a crime to restrict them without their matching satellite speakers. What you really need to do is sell your 802d's and get a pair of Status 8T speakers ;) The way the sub+satellite system integrates with this system is unparalleled which is why I am running them as fullrange towers instead of main channels + dedicated subs. The dynamic range is just endless.

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
The way the sub+satellite system integrates with this system is unparalleled which is why I am running them as fullrange towers instead of main channels + dedicated subs. The dynamic range is just endless.
That's how I am running mine. It's lovely. I just remembered something else a little odd about these. Not sure if the 8T is the same or similar. The low pass crossover is much higher than most subwoofers. I think it's between 100 and 120 Hz. The light cone really allows it to get much higher bass notes than most other woofers I have seen while still going just as low as the rest. Mixing them with other satellites could get a little weird if you don't set it up just right.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That's how I am running mine. It's lovely. I just remembered something else a little odd about these. Not sure if the 8T is the same or similar. The low pass crossover is much higher than most subwoofers. I think it's between 100 and 120 Hz. The light cone really allows it to get much higher bass notes than most other woofers I have seen while still going just as low as the rest. Mixing them with other satellites could get a little weird if you don't set it up just right.
Yep that's intentional since those drivers have a lot more output capability at those frequencies. The woofers on the 8T are crossed over even higher. Stereo bass rocks, not so much below 80hz but from 80hz and up most definitely.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Here is our video review of the new Status Acoustics 8T Speaker System.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, I'm riding my motorcycle across the country next week to move back to GA. I can totally make a detour to FL. Please? PLEASE?

Oh and to answer the video question, I was in a demo room with various Vienna Acoustics speakers. There was a higher end model, but I cannot recall the make. *sigh* I have all the ambition but I'm a total amateur...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi Gene
We've a speaker company up here in Canada called Hansen Audio. Other then the web page, I know nothing about them. I just brushed thru their website again and remembered your review of the Status Acoustic Titus 8T and thought it would be fun (and back breaking) to have shoot out between them and these Hansens...... THE GRAND MASTER 2

Call it the "Clash of the Titans"

ENCLOSURE

GENERAL
- Time Coherent
- Dispersion Coherent
- Frequency Response: 15 Hz to 23,000hz +/-2db
- Sensitivity: 90db
- Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
- True Dynamic
- Tonal Accurate

TECHNOLOGY
- Engineered, designed, and manufactured by Hansen Audio