Status Acoustics Titus 8T Loudspeaker System Q&A Interview

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Bad day Gene?

"huh? .... Please re-read."

"Uh, you can.... "

"typical keyboard commando .... that prefers to criticize a product they've never heard.​

How many non-keyboard commandos are reading the site, and clicking the google ads I wonder?
This is the second time this year he's referred to me as a keyboard commando, though this time at least my post count is higher than my IQ. I'm getting used to it.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This is about Power cord... nuff said

I'm not claiming these cables make the speaker better or worse, but it certainly seems like this product was used due to marketing , rather than technical reasons...
I certainly won't disagree with you there. You can surely accomplish the same twisting together a bunch of CAT5 to the equivalent gauge, but Kimber has great name recognition and their products look great. The WBT's don't add any magic to the speaker other that providing a very solid connection and dressing it up. They didn't need to put 24 neodymium magnets on each speaker grille/baffle and could have used pegs instead but the magnetic grilles are very slick.

Years ago I went to the high end show at CES where RBH was demoing their Titus 2 speakers to a crowd of audiophiles and dealers. Everyone loved the sound but when the dealers asked the price of the speakers and RBH replied around $60k/pair, they got up and left commenting on how these speakers were too INEXPENSIVE for them to sell to their serious clientele. Price / value is a matter of prospective.

Matt34

Matt34

Bad day Gene?

"huh? .... Please re-read."

"Uh, you can.... "

"typical keyboard commando .... that prefers to criticize a product they've never heard.​

How many non-keyboard commandos are reading the site, and clicking the google ads I wonder?
It's probably frustrating to take the time and effort to showcase something different from the normal "which $2000 pair of floorstander should I get", or "I'm looking for a new subwoofer" threads that flood the forum day in and day out; then only discuss the internal cabling because it was a named brand.

Like Jinjuku said, I don't see performance claims being made.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
People with the pockets to get this speaker (which dear lord would I ever love to have an hour in front of it :) ) are not going to compromise anything.

They probably have $150K room it's going into.

I personally don't think any SQ promises are being made. Simply stating that they are using Kimber. I don't see performance claims being made.

As hinted previously by Gene, I hope that they offer a more affordable solution in the RHB line. Cost reduced through some normal copper IC's. Probably PCB'd X-Overs, low cost but well built binding posts etc, A lower tier of driver that is still stellar on clean output etc...

It's nice to see a no holds barred speaker. Even my Statements are a cost consideration. Their driver selection is one based on $ to Performance. The 8T's are not. They are simply performance first and cost's second.

To say this speaker has got the juices flowing in what I would do with a dedicated room is an understatement.
Yes there are talks about a possible EMP version down the road. If enough of our readers bug them, it may just happen and likely at 1/10th the cost of these babies.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I think with the high end crowd that can go either way. An active setup allows for better room integration hands down. Passive X-overs are convenient but are generally speaking a one size fits all.

I could see Class A amps on the tweeters and mids and Class D on the subs (which can be done with how they are currently configured). It's a very diverse space at that cost tier.
Agreed. For the past 2 weeks, I've been wrestling with trying to get these speakers to perform ideally for 2CH and Multi Channel but there are compromises to be made. Because this speaker has such perfect integration for all its drivers, it sounds best running as a full range tower. However, in multi-channel, I lose the advantage of running the bottom bass modules as powered subs all being fed a mono sub/lfe signal with my other subs in my system.

I am trying to get Denon to offer a Super Bass mode that will route LFE to the main channels so I can have the best of both worlds but its likely never going to happen.

So now I am experimenting still running these speakers full range, but turning the subwoofer channel completely off and plugging my Velodynes into the L/R main channel rca outputs. I'm uncertain if the Denon will properly produce LFE to the main channels with no dedicated sub channel or if it will scale it down -10dB to avoid digital clipping. I have this question into their engineering department before I continue messing with it.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Gene..

just get two more LFE subs and forget the hassle!

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Yes there are talks about a possible EMP version down the road. If enough of our readers bug them, it may just happen and likely at 1/10th the cost of these babies.
...Who do the readers email? *coughcough*

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene..

just get two more LFE subs and forget the hassle!
Your as sick as me since I've actually been thinking of doing just that. My wife thinks I' borderline certifiable. ;)

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
Wow, these are awesome looking. I would love to hear them...

Now if only I were an NFL football player so I could afford them... And actually carry them...

Gene, looking forward to hearing your impressions (no pun intended) of the speakers. As for the expensive cables, well, I don't think the people who can afford these would even flinch at $2600.. Probably make that much sneezing...

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
I have a pair of the original Titus and absolutely love them. For those saying you just need to add two LFE subs, I highly doubt you would need anything extra. This set has 6 10" woofers in each side for 12 total for the pair. They have incredible bass IMO.

I have also been an owner of the RBH T-2 pair and they don't compare despite appearing similar. One has 2 10" woofers vs 12. Not possible. I of course am a bit insane and my rear speakers are the Atlas with a 12" in each giving me even more. Had I any clue though, being a bass head myself, of the output of the Titus, I would not have gotten the Atlas pair and just gone for an Mediette's.

This set up looks amazing. I love the thought of the Mediette being of similar design or even just the top portion of the Titus being available individually as an LCR. What a beautifully overdone home theater. ^_^

Will the 2T original design with 5 woofers in each chamber be made or is that a thing of the past and it will only be the 8T now?

Have these been reviewed yet elsewhere at this point or is it still too early for that?

What is the price of this pair?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have a pair of the original Titus and absolutely love them. For those saying you just need to add two LFE subs, I highly doubt you would need anything extra. This set has 6 10" woofers in each side for 12 total for the pair. They have incredible bass IMO.
The Titus 8T have incredible bass output. The other subs is to smooth out the bass for multi seats. I managed to run my processor with NO sub and just set the 8T's to large. The bass is incredible at any seat but I did manage to run my 2 additional subs out of the main l/r outputs and now having all 4 subs playing is just insane at any of my seats. I have flat bass extension down to 12Hz (the limit of my room, not the speakers).

I have also been an owner of the RBH T-2 pair and they don't compare despite appearing similar. One has 2 10" woofers vs 12. Not possible. I of course am a bit insane and my rear speakers are the Atlas with a 12" in each giving me even more. Had I any clue though, being a bass head myself, of the output of the Titus, I would not have gotten the Atlas pair and just gone for an Mediette's.

This set up looks amazing. I love the thought of the Mediette being of similar design or even just the top portion of the Titus being available individually as an LCR. What a beautifully overdone home theater. ^_^

Will the 2T original design with 5 woofers in each chamber be made or is that a thing of the past and it will only be the 8T now?

Have these been reviewed yet elsewhere at this point or is it still too early for that?

What is the price of this pair?
Nice setup for sure. I am in the process of reviewing the 8Ts. I have the first production pair built so Audioholics will likely be the first published review. I also have the prototype 8C center channel and its equally as impressive.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I only have dual RBH Reference SX-1010N non-powered subs

Four 10" aluminum woofers total. But they can certainly pack a punch for sure.

Ten 10" woofers would be very, very punchy. :D

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
I only have dual RBH Reference SX-1010N non-powered subs

Four 10" aluminum woofers total. But they can certainly pack a punch for sure.

Ten 10" woofers would be very, very punchy. :D

This is what I have and I'd have to say the same thing. Although, I have the 400 watt amps from RBH as well. The few times I've managed to turn them up have been more than satisfactory.

For the record, I have yet to run these speakers combined with my Rythmik subs. They're never in the same place at the same time... :( That's what happens when you're constantly moving to/from school.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Titus 8T have incredible bass output.
I don't know if anyone asked, but is RBH planning on offering a stand alone Non-powered subwoofer based on the Titus 8T? :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I don't know if anyone asked, but is RBH planning on offering a stand alone Non-powered subwoofer based on the Titus 8T? :D
I did ask actually b/c I was all for trading in my Velodyne DD15+s for one but it sounds like NO for the moment. Just the mains center and possibly a bookshelf for now but if all goes well with the line, an 8T sub could follow.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I did ask actually b/c I was all for trading in my Velodyne DD15+s for one but it sounds like NO for the moment. Just the mains center and possibly a bookshelf for now but if all goes well with the line, an 8T sub could follow.
The 8T sub would seriously cause me to desire a sub upgrade (replacing the Rythmik subs). :D

I was impressed when I auditioned the T2 & T3. But what impressed me most were the 1010-subs. That's why I just had to have them. I can't imagine how awesome the 8T subs would be.

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
Things often have a trickle down effect, but since the 8T isn't even out yet, I think we are way way down the road for that possibility, if ever. Possibly an upgraded sub for the RBH line, but I doubt it will compare with the 8T. The cabinet itself is not likely to ever be in any line, but the Status. They could surprise us though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Things often have a trickle down effect, but since the 8T isn't even out yet, I think we are way way down the road for that possibility, if ever. Possibly an upgraded sub for the RBH line, but I doubt it will compare with the 8T. The cabinet itself is not likely to ever be in any line, but the Status. They could surprise us though.
One can only hope. :D

I think a pair of Titus 8T bookshelf speakers and subs would be nice. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I was impressed when I auditioned the T2 & T3. But what impressed me most were the 1010-subs. That's why I just had to have them. I can't imagine how awesome the 8T subs would be.
coming from a pair of T30s which are equivalent to 1010-SE/R subs only with 50% more box volume so they play even lower, the Titus 8T is quite a substantial upgrade not just in output but how it plays into the room. Those giant rear ports load the room almost like having additional bass drivers towards the back of the cabinet. Just using the 8Ts as large towers with LFE routed to them and no sub channel used, I get incredible bass at every listening seat which was something I couldn't achieve with the T30s.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
coming from a pair of T30s which are equivalent to 1010-SE/R subs only with 50% more box volume so they play even lower, the Titus 8T is quite a substantial upgrade not just in output but how it plays into the room. Those giant rear ports load the room almost like having additional bass drivers towards the back of the cabinet. Just using the 8Ts as large towers with LFE routed to them and no sub channel used, I get incredible bass at every listening seat which was something I couldn't achieve with the T30s.
I bet 8T towers plus two additional 8T subs would be CRAZY to the infinite power. :D

I do hope they eventually offer the 8T subs as stand alone units (my very sick mind is already fantasizing :eek: ).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis