Static in speakers.

R

Redbone

Audioholic
Ever since I hooked up my new Hsu STF2 subwoofer I am noticing crackle and pop static in my main and front speakers. It is not a constant thing but when it happens it is usually every 30 or so seconds then a pop and static crackle for a micro second. It has happened on DVD and TV sources and it is driving me crazy. It does not seem to happen all the time just at certain times.

The only thing I did different when I installed my sub was to switch all speakers to small and cross at 80Hz. The sub is plugged into a separate outlet from the receiver across the room.

Any ideas from anyone on this?? :confused:

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Does it still do it when the sub is unplugged from the wall socket?

O

outsider

Audioholic
I had a similar problem when I recently upgraded subwoofers. I was told that it could be a ground loop.
I corrected the problem by using a plug adapter that converts the 3-prong plug on the subwoofer power cord to a 2 prong plug.

R

Redbone

Audioholic
No I have not tried the system with the sub unplugged. I only hear the crackle every so often but it is anoying as hell when it happens consistently. Does adding the two prong adapter effect anything else in terms of sub performance??

D

dreadstar

Audioholic Intern
It could be a ground loop problem most houses are not grounded all that well anymore. To much plastic.

Putting a 2 prong adapter on will negate the ground on the sub this can be bad if the amplifier shorts it can't send the short to ground instead it will send it to your breaker box. Hopefully it will stop there.

A short discussion about ground loops:

You hear the audio guys say “it’s gotta be a ground loop” Well what does that mean? A ground is supposed to be a zero-potential surface or point, but most float at some small voltage. In reality, our best hope is there is little circulating current [particularly RF]. Some households have multiple ground reference points: the ac power ground, the plumbing system, and sometimes separate grounds for the telephone and cable systems. Multiple grounds, however, are not a good practice; the National Electric code requires that all grounds be connected to a single point. Water pipes are buried, but their ground resistivity can be quite high, and there are no precautions to ensure electrical continuity [many homes use plastic pipe today]. As a result, the plumbing is usually tied to the ac ground return at some point in the house. This point is often at an outside faucet, where a wire is attached from the ac ground to the water pipe with a clamp. Improper grounding can introduce unwanted audio hum and may violate the National Electric Code of local regulations. An added ground for an audio system could create a big ground lop, which could act as antenna and worsen the RFI. (Taken from the ARRL RFI Book) The simple answer here is: TOO MANY GROUNDS CAN SPOIL AN OTHERWISE GOOD SYSTEM.

Try unpluging the sub and seeing if it stops if so you have a ground loop issue.
Also try leaving it plugged in and on, but unplug the LFE from your reciever not the sub.
You may have a bad RCA cable. If it is a very long run go buy a pair of Ferrite beads put one on each end of the rca cable going to your sub. Radioshack or any good electronics store will have these. it may be RF leakage.

R

Redbone

Audioholic
Yes it is a long run about 6m in length I assume it is a well built cable though, Analysis Plus sub oval. I am going to try the ferrite beads. Last night I was watching a movie and my dishwasher was on, between every damn cycle change the speakers made a pop which got to be damn aggrivating.

R

Redbone

Audioholic
:confused: I am really confused now ferrite beads, cable isolators which one do I try and which isolater is for me- further will it take away any of the beutifal sound my amp is sending to the sub?

I already have my cable tv coax going through my Monster power strip?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
You have a ground loop caused by the coax. Disconnect the cable to the tv completely. Turn system on without any music & see if the sub is buzzing. Then you will be certain it is the cable. Buy the $12 isolator and install before the Monster power strip!
If the sub is a powered unit which has a standby mode, it will power up without a signal when a ground loop is present. If this is the problem, the cable isolater will eliminate this problem.

R

Redbone

Audioholic
My system made the pop and crackle noises no matter if the sub was connected or not connected. What I see most is that when a refrigerator fan or dishwasher comes off and on you hear the click or pop through the speakers. As I said you dont hear it constantly, just for a split second as the power from another electrical appliance comes on. When I use a blender the static is constant through the speakers though? It seems that nights are worse than days and some nights are better than others.

The sub never buzzes or emites a deep humm, when music isn't playing.

How can you have a ground loop from cable TV?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Redbone said:
How can you have a ground loop from cable TV?
Easy,

Different ground potential will let current through the ground and the 60Hz will jump on it?

As was suggested, disconnect the cable TV and see if it still happens. Maybe that is what I should have suiggested as well in the beginning but missed it.

R

Redbone

Audioholic
Ok I will disconnect the cable TV wire, but I really don't hear it to much on strait music mainly on TV broadcasts and dvd's? So it is going to be tricky to get the sound without the cable hook up.

R

Redbone

Audioholic
I disconnected the cable wire from the wall and I still hear noise in the speakers. a crackle/pop every minute or so for the duration the system is on. Rembember it is not a constant hum or buzz but a split second pop that happens continously.

Here is what I know so far:

1. Subwoofer is not at fault. Totaly took it out of system and statice sound remained i.e uplugged a/c outlet and sub cable.

2. Cable TV is not the problem, disconnected it from wall jack, still crackle.

3 Have heard newer NAD receivers have this problem- the ones with the three prong plugs.

4. I really don't think it is R/F noise as it continues even when sub is disconnected.

I am thinking of upgrading the NAD Plug to a PS audio plug- I am convinced that it is line noise from dirty a/c outlet- though I am running through a Monster Stage 1 filter.

Out of ideas can anyone help me? :eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Redbone said:
I disconnected the cable wire from the wall and I still hear noise in the speakers. a crackle/pop every minute or so for the duration the system is on. Rembember it is not a constant hum or buzz but a split second pop that happens continously.

Here is what I know so far:

1. Subwoofer is not at fault. Totaly took it out of system and statice sound remained i.e uplugged a/c outlet and sub cable.

2. Cable TV is not the problem, disconnected it from wall jack, still crackle.

3 Have heard newer NAD receivers have this problem- the ones with the three prong plugs.

4. I really don't think it is R/F noise as it continues even when sub is disconnected.

I am thinking of upgrading the NAD Plug to a PS audio plug- I am convinced that it is line noise from dirty a/c outlet- though I am running through a Monster Stage 1 filter.

Out of ideas can anyone help me? :eek:

OK. Do these pops coincide with other appliences in the house turning on? What happens when you do turn on appliances, same sort of noise?

What is the NAD Plug? Before you do anything, is there anyway you can borrow another receiver, different brand, and see if has the same noise issues? That should nail the problem: if it is there, you have house problems; if not there, you have a receiver problem.

R

Redbone

Audioholic
Good sugestion Crafts, I hear the noise especially at night and on Saturdays when the guy next door is home or all electrical appliances are working. I can hear Blenders and food choppers that are being used in the kitchen through my speakers. I will try what you said.

Thanks Bro-

What do I do to fix dirty ac??

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
RedBone, I think mtrycrafts is correct in suggesting to plug in another radio in the same outlet and test it for the same symptoms.

I personally think you might have a loose (non tight on the screw) electrical wire on the wall AC outlet you're using, causing sparks and sporadic interferances to your HT, and if that's the case it should be checked immediately without waisting anytime.

Attachments

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Redbone said:
Good sugestion Crafts, I hear the noise especially at night and on Saturdays when the guy next door is home or all electrical appliances are working. I can hear Blenders and food choppers that are being used in the kitchen through my speakers. I will try what you said.

Thanks Bro-

What do I do to fix dirty ac??

I may have suggested something like Mr T indicated but suggested a problem at the panel someplace. You indicated it is a new place, about 10 yrs old? You still need to check the panel and plug as Mr T suggested for a wire that is loose causing arcing? Is there aluminum wire in the panel?
You may try an extension cord and run to other outlets.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
Yah, I like the extension cord idea that mtrycrafts suggested.

enjoy our planet earth and the sun tomorrow

Attachments

Last edited:
R

Redbone

Audioholic
Hold the phone I think I may have isolated the problem. Awhile back I took some tweak advice I read somewhere and it said to buff the power cable connectors with steel wool, I did this as well but went one step further and treated them with Cage Pro-Gold. The sound seemed more dynamic after I did this to all my components Receiver, DVD player, TV and cable box. I also did it to the Monster HT850 power strip. I think that is around the time I bought the sub and noticed the popping in the speakers. I think I might have super enhanced the electricla connection allowing the smallest noise to come through. Make sense to any one??

One thing the crackle and pop is definately worse at night 6- 10pm and definately worse some times than others. Some times that crackle/ pop is loud and makes you jump out of your seat. So it is not consistent, lately it seems to be getting worse.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis