Star Drek:Discovery

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Apparently it's a bit of a chore to cancel once you sign on and I heard they charge a month even if you do wind up cancelling. Still, it's the principle more than the fee that irks me.
Yes, it is the principle. But to spite them, maybe we'll try to do that 7 days free and see all 14 episodes.

C

chitwood

Audiophyte
After watching some of the Netflix 4k content, there's no way I'm paying CBS for low res and stereo.

Are you listening CBS?

Craig Gordon

Craig Gordon

Junior Audioholic
Why pay for CBS access. I cant believe its only in stereo. Thats embarrassing. I would suggest to rrent it. Oh, did I misspell rent? Sorry. ;)

J

JKR1963

Audiophyte
Thank gods for Space Channel in Canada.......nice 5.1 sound too!

R

Reyfox

Audiophyte
A Netflix subscriber here that lives in Europe. So I get to watch it weekly (Ep 3 already). I would never pay for CBS access. If I had to, to watch the show, I would just skip it, knowing that it will appear in some other form in the future. Also use a VPN to watch in UK and US.

J

joel7156

Audiophyte
I'm a trekie
but I'll skip this series snafu until it's free and up to 4k quality on amazon or netflix,screw cbs

M

Michael A Galante

Audiophyte
I already pay for CBS content. I will not pay twice! Contact your provider and complain. Afterall, we pay them and they pay CBS for progamming!

R

Reyfox

Audiophyte
I'm a trekie
but I'll skip this series snafu until it's free and up to 4k quality on amazon or netflix,screw cbs
Don't know about Netflix getting this in 4K, so you might be waiting a LONG time joel7156. Netflix isn't free either.
As for the acting, I'm going to give it "time" for development before I write this show off. After watching Ep. 3, there seems to be a lot that is going to be happening!
I'm enjoying it "now" in 1080 logging into Netflix here in Poland. Still looks great. I can also watch The Blacklist here. I watched season 5 opener. Can't in the States on Netflix, when I use my VPN to log into, say NY.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
No thanks, 3 episodes of this train wreck are enough for me, I wouldn't watch it for free. Bad casting, worse acting, ridiculous Klingons, lens flares, too many of them, crazy camera angles for no reason, and the darkest bridges in sci-fi, are enough to make me leave the stinking mess alone. If I did pay to watch it, I would be very angry if it wasn't in 720 Dolby at minimum.
If I'm correct, this trash will be cancelled at the end of the first season. I hope CBS will come up with a show worth watching. This isn't it.

d6500k

d6500k

Audiophyte
"The more they tinker with the plumbing, the easier to stop up the pipes!" Montgomery Scott

While the above quote may not be word for word...it conveys the message.

TNG was the closest thing to TOS and it took a more than one season to get it on Trek, er track.

tos cost per episode apx. 200k (about 1.5m in todays bucks)
tng cpe. 1.2 m (about 2.5m today)
ent cpe. 5m (about 6m today)
dis cpe. 8m

The point is, even while cbs/para seem to be spending more than ever, in reality, not so much.
My conclusion is that all of you that think cbs/para are trying to pork us.... You are all probably right. I may well be wrong with the following assumption. This may well be released with all episodes aired (wrong word, should be staired or something) ever....on one BD disk.

OK, back to the Orville on dvr. Paid my cable bill!

All the best,
d6500k

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I watched the first episode and wasn't very impressed. I saw that the second episode was up on Kodi last time I looked. If I do end up watching the show, I'll just watch it on Kodi. No way am I paying for Star Trek.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Having some trouble getting into this. Kinda disappointing.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The mutiny is a little weird and killing off the first captain is also weird, and CBS access in general is poor service and quality. I tried to upgrade to no commercials -- they cancelled the commercial service and charged me full price for no commercials, I called Amazon and got the $5.99 refund as it looked like I was being charged for both. After the next two episodes, I will decide whether or not to continue service.

R

rogers

Audiophyte
I have access to over 40 ota channels connected to a MediaCenter computer (6 tuners). I have more shows recorded than I have time (so far) to watch. And CBS wants me to jump thru their hoops so I can watch "Discovery"... which rates about 2 and a half stars.

The other networks offer web based access too, but without $$$. CBS AllAccess? I'll pass!

S

Sherman

Audiophyte
I ma a BIG time Star Trek fan but I am passing on the CBS access streaming service. The show looks promising and appears to have a good story line. The lack of HD and full on audio means I am going to pass on the fee to basically watch ONE show that CBS has on its service that interests me.

Frankly, to spend this much money on a new show and not provide it in HD and audio that my home theater can take advantage of is a HUGE reason for passing. And when someone tries to grab me in the tender spot hopping that my desire to watch the show will overcome the pain is reason enough to pass. Sorry CBS.

T

taz0921

Audiophyte
I refuse to be goaded into paying $5.99 a month for probably just the one program that I may want to watch since I am a long time Trekkie. Based upon the 1st episode, I was quite disappointed, and as most of us know, 1st impressions, whether with people or watching the 1st episode of a show, usually determines how one may feel about the remaining episodes. To be frank, it does not feel like a 'True Star Trek Show' in my humble opinion. I have seen some of the trailers for upcoming episodes, and I will take my $5.99 and use it for something that I give more value to.

I highly doubt that the show will be renewed for another season, or even make it through the 1st season. What a terrible way to kill a great concept that had us on the edge of our seats for decades.

OBX Pirate

OBX Pirate

Audiophyte
Great article. I’m a devout Star Trek Fan and have seen every episode of every series and movies. However, I am NOT going to pay $10 a month for one show. The sound totally sucked in my 5.1 setup.
I will wait till the entire season one is available, will sign up for a week free trial, watch them all and cancel. Dirty trick CBS.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I will wait till the entire season one is available, will sign up for a week free trial, watch them all and cancel. Dirty trick CBS.
That is what I am hoping to do. Hopefully they will allow to stream the whole season in that 7 day trial.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I refuse to be goaded into paying $5.99 a month for probably just the one program that I may want to watch since I am a long time Trekkie. Based upon the 1st episode, I was quite disappointed, and as most of us know, 1st impressions, whether with people or watching the 1st episode of a show, usually determines how one may feel about the remaining episodes. To be frank, it does not feel like a 'True Star Trek Show' in my humble opinion. I have seen some of the trailers for upcoming episodes, and I will take my $5.99 and use it for something that I give more value to.

I highly doubt that the show will be renewed for another season, or even make it through the 1st season. What a terrible way to kill a great concept that had us on the edge of our seats for decades.
And, they are only giving us a whopping 9 episodes for season 1. Meanwhile shows like TNG, DS9 and Voyager produced 22-24 episodes/year for free! My understanding is season 2 of STD won't even come out till 2019. Pretty pathetic of CBS IMO.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

And, they are only giving us a whopping 9 episodes for season 1. Meanwhile shows like TNG, DS9 and Voyager produced 22-24 episodes/year for free! My understanding is season 2 of STD won't even come out till 2019. Pretty pathetic of CBS IMO.
IMDb lists a number of characters being in 15 episodes. Would that be two seasons worth or one with a break after 9. Looks like episode 10 will start Jan 14. A winter break perhaps after Nov 12?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis