SS Skillet question

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I just purchased a stainless Steel skillet set and I would like to know what sort of spatulas should be used. The pans are very heavy, tri-clad pans. I am learning how to use them, but finding a video or info on proper cooking utensils for ss seems to be very hard to find. Does anyone know? Do you use ss spatulas or silicone? There is a set on Amazon that is silicone over flexible ss that says it's good to 600 degrees. That might be just the ticket, but since I am new to ss skillets, I thought I would ask here in case someone could point me in the right direction. Thx!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
What kind of spatulas do you have? Try them see how it works.

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
A couple plastic ones that I had no trouble with using my cheaper non-stick pans. I had the heat on medium and the plastic spatula melted just a tad almost instantaneously. I also have a ss spatula that I used sort gingerly until I know if that is what is recommended.
edit: actually what I did was switch to another pan from the new set after I had the melting plastic issue. It happened as I was attempting to smear the oil around the pan and before I poured in the pancake batter. It was a bit of an ordeal to get that cleaned up. Plus I really didn't want the new pan stained or damaged. Fortunately, it came off with Scotchbrite and some elbow grease

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
With my steel pans I just use whatever is handy in the way of a spatula, steel or silicon. With a teflon pan I'd only use silicon. With a steel pan you need to build up some seasoning to get the best non-stick properties.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
With my steel pans I just use whatever is handy in the way of a spatula, steel or silicon. With a teflon pan I'd only use silicon. With a steel pan you need to build up some seasoning to get the best non-stick properties.
Thx for the help. I ordered rhe amazon silicone set. Should arrive by 8 am tomorrow, so I can try them for breakfast.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thx for the help. I ordered rhe amazon silicone set. Should arrive by 8 am tomorrow, so I can try them for breakfast.
Only problem I've had with some of the silicon spatulas is they can be a bit "floppy" for turning an egg well.....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

A couple plastic ones that I had no trouble with using my cheaper non-stick pans. I had the heat on medium and the plastic spatula melted just a tad almost instantaneously. I also have a ss spatula that I used sort gingerly until I know if that is what is recommended.
edit: actually what I did was switch to another pan from the new set after I had the melting plastic issue. It happened as I was attempting to smear the oil around the pan and before I poured in the pancake batter. It was a bit of an ordeal to get that cleaned up. Plus I really didn't want the new pan stained or damaged. Fortunately, it came off with Scotchbrite and some elbow grease
Try a bit lower temp setting.
Do you have any wooden spatula to try? Any marks as you use your ss? Is the edge sharp enough to lift what you are cooking?
Use a small amount of oil in there, olive or avocado to give it a bit of lubrication.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Try a bit lower temp setting.
Do you have any wooden spatula to try? Any marks as you use your ss? Is the edge sharp enough to lift what you are cooking?
Use a small amount of oil in there, olive or avocado to give it a bit of lubrication.
The ss one was ok. But I wasn't sure about it. I do have a wooden one, yes.
I did learn a bit so far about heat with ss pans.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Only problem I've had with some of the silicon spatulas is they can be a bit "floppy" for turning an egg well.....
The I ordered is ss covered with silicone. It's 2 sizes in the set.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The I ordered is ss covered with silicone. It's 2 sizes in the set.
If they are just straight Stainless, not coated, you can use anything you want. Metal tongs and metal spats touch my stainless and cast iron all the time.

If it's coated with some non-stick treatment, then you need to use special tools, ie not metal or anything abrasive.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
If they are just straight Stainless, not coated, you can use anything you want. Metal tongs and metal spats touch my stainless and cast iron all the time.

If it's coated with some non-stick treatment, then you need to use special tools, ie not metal or anything abrasive.
That's good. These have no coating.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That's good. These have no coating.
Stainless is an absolute workhorse for cooking. You can pretty much do anything to it and will be fine. Within normal reason, of course. Please don't try melting salt. ;)

Aluminum and Cast Iron are reactive. Cooking tools don't matter, but you should avoid cooking acidic substances, like making tomato sauce or cooking wine down in these. (Stainless is inert and will not react with normal cooking acids like tomato sauce or wines and vinegars.)

There is a cool trick to make an aluminum pan "non-stick" which involves heating rock salt to stupid high heat... I've done this and made perfect omelets in what is otherwise NOT a non-stick pan. This is an old kitchen trick and I don't recommend it as a just-for-kicks thing. But, you know... fun with science! :)

highfigh

highfigh

I just purchased a stainless Steel skillet set and I would like to know what sort of spatulas should be used. The pans are very heavy, tri-clad pans. I am learning how to use them, but finding a video or info on proper cooking utensils for ss seems to be very hard to find. Does anyone know? Do you use ss spatulas or silicone? There is a set on Amazon that is silicone over flexible ss that says it's good to 600 degrees. That might be just the ticket, but since I am new to ss skillets, I thought I would ask here in case someone could point me in the right direction. Thx!
What, specifically, does 'tri-clad' mean?- coated with, what? If you post a link to these, it would be good.

WRT the 600° rating, plastic spatulas aren't meant to be left on the bare metal for long and most food isn't cooked at that temperature anyway. Bare stainless will need t be cleaned aggressively, so I'm not sure why Silicone would be best- metal are stiffer, aren't slippery and work better for removing food.

Plastic are good, but many definitely melt, even with non-stick pans.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

What did you buy those for? They are covered with those dreadful PFAS. The forever chemicals that are a known carcinogen.

If you want stainless steel, then get good quality stainless steel and no coatings. Then season the pan per instructions. Then clean and oil every time after use. Some pans you never wash after seasoning, like french omelette pans. You just wipe them with a paper towel after use and put them away. You don't need special utensils for any of these pans with no PIFA surfacing.

One of the easiest materials is cast iron. You season them once. Then never use detergent. You wash with water using a chain link scourer, dry with paper towel and then oil down with vegetable oil.

I use cast iron frying pans and woks in our outside cookery.

Get rid of that coated cookware. Traditional materials last longer, are easier to work with and won't harm you.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Why do people think I bought a coated ss set?
All the premium ss pans are clad. Clad does not mean coated. It is 3 ply for heat retention.
I have two cast iron pans. An 8 and a 10". And they continue to be awesome. And I have only ever cleaned them with a brush and hot water. Never detergent. Why is this post now about cast iron?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The set I got has aluminum core. So it's ss, aluminum, ss. I think that is the typical 3-ply for premium ss pans.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Only reason I asked is to make certain before I gave you advice. My non-stick pans are also stainless, just with a coating. ;)

The set I got has aluminum core. So it's ss, aluminum, ss. I think that is the typical 3-ply for premium ss pans.
Yes, this is very typical, you are correct.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

All the premium ss pans are clad. Clad does not mean coated. It is 3 ply for heat retention.
I have two cast iron pans. An 8 and a 10". And they continue to be awesome. And I have only ever cleaned them with a brush and hot water. Never detergent. Why is this post now about cast iron?
Because that is what is traditionally marketed from that company, and what is still shown on their site.

I really think this dissimilar metals idea is a really bad one, due to differences of thermal expansion of different metals. I would anticipate the those pans become far from flat in use. As far as I'm concerned that has been a brand to avoid.

When it comes to cookware, well crafted and machined traditional cookware wins out. I do not like aluminum. Sold stainless steel or cast iron is what I favor, and the heavier the better.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis