SS Skillet question

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I never mentioned the brand or the site or if I bought them at a store. So I do not know what you are referring to.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
after almost 49 years of marriage my wife's Revereware still going strong. As for utensils, I'm pretty sure she has SS.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Because that is what is traditionally marketed from that company, and what is still shown on their site.

I really think this dissimilar metals idea is a really bad one, due to differences of thermal expansion of different metals. I would anticipate the those pans become far from flat in use. As far as I'm concerned that has been a brand to avoid.

When it comes to cookware, well crafted and machined traditional cookware wins out. I do not like aluminum. Sold stainless steel or cast iron is what I favor, and the heavier the better.
As far as I know almost all stainless steel pots and pans today are either 3 ply or 5 ply.

Where do you find solid stainless steel cookware?

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Got a link?

@ryanosaur since we're on the subject, what do you think about carbon steel pans?
They can be great. Gotta care for them right. But similarly, they are usually heavy, conduct and hold heat well; excellent for high heat applications.

One of the restaurants I was at used them for searing Foie steaks. Gets super hot for a good strong sear, and Foie likes a deep mahogany sear. Quick finish in a hot oven to make certain it is cooked through…
One of the best things you can ever put in your mouth!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They can be great. Gotta care for them right. But similarly, they are usually heavy, conduct and hold heat well; excellent for high heat applications.

One of the restaurants I was at used them for searing Foie steaks. Gets super hot for a good strong sear, and Foie likes a deep mahogany sear. Quick finish in a hot oven to make certain it is cooked through…
One of the best things you can ever put in your mouth!
I've had some learning curve on care with my carbon pan; it is quite a bit heavier than my stainless steel pan in same size (10"). Foie may be great but I'll probably never know, never tried as I have had really poor experiences with liver and not crazy about the foie process either so I'll just take your learned word for it :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Made in China unfortunately.
That's typical of a lot of consumer products....I do find Oxo generally of decent quality, and now that I looked at your link I think I did consider those before trying what seemed to be a heavier duty silicone model (but was a bit disappointing altho the smaller scraper style spatulas are great).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I find four pans there, but are aluminum, searching stainless steel there came up with no results...
I bought almost all my cookware 30 years ago or more. I don't think I have bought any pan is the last 20 to 25 years.

highfigh

highfigh

Because that is what is traditionally marketed from that company, and what is still shown on their site.

I really think this dissimilar metals idea is a really bad one, due to differences of thermal expansion of different metals. I would anticipate the those pans become far from flat in use. As far as I'm concerned that has been a brand to avoid.

When it comes to cookware, well crafted and machined traditional cookware wins out. I do not like aluminum. Sold stainless steel or cast iron is what I favor, and the heavier the better.
The pans often have a rolled edge, for a reason- it locks the assembly together. The Aluminum doesn't need to occupy all of the space in the middle and as long as it doesn't, it shouldn't stress the pan excessively. It would be helpful to know which version of each is being used, but the fact is, cookware with more than one material has been made for a very long time and I think the metallurgists working for the manufacturers know what they're doing. Aluminum transfers heat better than many metals, Stainless retains heat better.

highfigh

highfigh

after almost 49 years of marriage my wife's Revereware still going strong. As for utensils, I'm pretty sure she has SS.
I have Revereware that my mom got- not sure how old they are but my parents were married in 1946, so....

You don't know about the utensils? Do you ever wash dishes?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have a bit of everything because different dishes require different pans. SST is for browning and simmering (thick, copper clad, forgot which brand but I've had it for over 20 years). I have Calphalon for high heat quick dishes (tends to be the least used), and we use the cast iron pans for most things. I have an 8, two 12s and a 14" cast iron; the 8 and 12s see the most use, daily basically.

SST pan cleaning is super easy. As long as you don't burn something crazy in it, you almost can't kill them. I use the same process for cleaning SST as cast iron - heat it up, ketchup or tomato sauce with a little water to cover the bottom, simmer until the debris is loose then wash by hand (cooled off obviously). SST gets the scrubby pad, iron gets a regular sponge. SST goes to normal rack to dry but the iron goes back on the warm stove for a few min to evaporate the remaining water. Been doing that for many years with great results. Not a fan of ceramic coated pans. I have a little 8" and it needs to be heated and cleaned similar to cast iron, so might as well just use the cast iron.

With the cast iron pan, I use steel utensils. For the SST, plastic or silicone only. I have 2 of these:

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis