racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
I gotta say that I love sports. However, I get so sick of some of these spoiled athletes in these big business team sports.

Apparently Terell Owens walked out of Philadelphia's training camp today. He didn't like what the coach told him. They had a dispute. Last time I checked, you're supposed to do what the coach tells you and not argue about it. How hard is it to shut your egotistical mouth and go catch a few passes for a couple hours? He's also in a contract dispute. He's only making 7 million a year for the next 7 years (7 years, 48.97 million to be exact - he must have been pissed he didn't get the 0.03 million to get him to that 7 million a year plateau). See article:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/12350280.htm

I'm not a fan of the Eagles or Owens, but I've watched him enough from his start in San Francisco to know he is a great receiver. If he'd just shutup and go play he could probably be making over 10 million a year and everyone would respect him. What's the matter? Wasn't Jerry Rice a good enough example for this idiot?

Anyway I'm sure a lot of you are looking forward to football season like me. It's just sad that we're going to have to hear about this tired story all year long. Again!!

Comments?

R

RhapsodyInBlack

Junior Audioholic
Football is pretty much the only sport i can find excitement in and i agree that these pushy, overpaid, and whiny players make it harder to enjoy year after year. The sooner these guys realize that they are getting paid for playing, essentially, a childrens game, the better off we will be...I understand that the marketplace decides how much value to put on these players, and i am definately supportive of that fact...But im still amused at just how much money is thrown around to teams, players, stadiums and all that goes into professional sports these days. I live in an nfl town ( jacksonville ) and i am as supportive as i can be, yet those of us who arent able to go to every home game get browbeaten by team management and accused of being unsupportive....I find it laughable that players and team owners dictate just about every facet of city policy regarding team finances when the bulk of the money thrown around is tax payer provided ! As much as i love football, and i always will, I am patiently waiting for city, county, and state leaders to realize that a professional sports team does not and will never define a city or state as a whole...The sooner these whiny players and greedy executives realize that they are getting far more money for the value of service they are offering,the better off the sport and the communities surrounding these teams will be. And i refuse to accept the argument that these sports teams should be held in high regard for all of the charitable contributions they provide...Charity is hardly reason enough to whore the very city you live in out to these people.....just an opinion from a die hard football fan who just happens to also think logically and rationally.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Try being a hockey fan. There are very few hockey players not in need of a good groin kicking IMO. I love what the owners did to them, giving them a take it or leave it offer that really was a take it or leave it offer. I relished the reports coming out of the talks. The players were of the opinion theat, hey this isn't fair, we're going in to negotiate and they aren't listening. The owners were were more along the lines of, what are you guys, retarded? We're not negotiating. Either settle for a cap and salary cuts or go play for $300,000 a year in europe. Hockey players really can't understand things the way a normal person does. It's not like other sports where the athlete has to go to college and prove himself or herself before they get drafted, thereby giving themselves a degree to fall back on, or at least a chance to mature. Most hockey players are drafted right out of highshool. The lucky ones get picked up out of college. I hate the fact that these guys can't grasp the fact that most people with a highscool only education are lucky to make it to shift manager at Wendy's in today's economy. I just wish I didn't love hockey so much.

My biggest hate-on for an athlete (for the moment) is for Vince Carter. Most in Toronto feel the same way. That tool actually admitted that he didn't play his best in order to get traded. How about you refund some of that there money then Vince? I'm pretty sure that not performing up to your potential would violate at least part of your contract. Or, in lieu of returning the money let me get one good groin kick in at you you smug prick. I hope you get another mild sprain and have to sit out for 3 months again and see how supportive the fans in your new city are you wuss.

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
And people wonder why I ignore major league sports. I used to think hockey players were a bit different thant the whiny, overpaid, prima-donna thugs but I was obviously wrong. Oh well, at least that game has some interest. I think I'l stick primarily with racing, fewer of the prima-donna types & they get slapped down regularly.

Edit: Sorry, I originally clicked "Edit" instead of "Quote".

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RhapsodyInBlack

Junior Audioholic
I wish more than anything that the sport was played with a ' loser plays for free ' clause...If some overgrown schmuck wants to play for the ' love of the game' as they always say ( well,at least until contract time ) let them play in the real world......your team ( company ) doesnt perform well and looses out to another team ( company ) then you dont get paid and the winners take it all home...all or nothing,baby...just like the real world.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I think this reflects the way entertainers of all ilks (read actors) are grossly overpaid at the highest levels. An average major league baseball player will earn more in one year than I will in a lifetime. I am a physician in one of the higher paying specialties. I'm not *****ing about doctors incomes but there are a lot of people whose professions are more essential to our society than freakin entertainers who deserve to be paid far better than they are. Civil engineers, research scientists who are mostly NOT MDs, public health officials, paramedics, friefighters, cops, soldiers etc.

I admit that I enjoy watching sports although less than I used to. I will no longer patronize the games or buy their merchandise. I conciously try to avoid buying products that are advertised heavily although this is not always possible. Think about it. We complain about Bose heavy advertising and light quality here all the time and some of us would seem to prefer deafness over a Bose 1-2-3 system. Is Budweiser really any different? We talk a lot about rather obscure speakers here compared to the mainstream public. Why should we support the advertisers who pay the huge dollars to the network who pays the league who pays the players? If advertising were less effective the whole pyramid would collapse, freeing the average guys who are on the bottom of it. Ticket prices would drop and players would make a realistic salary which might adjust a few attitudes. Just wishful thinking I suppose...

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Hey Dan, you left off teachers, and I agree with you. Teachers in Canada get paid better than in the States, but there aren't many careeers where a Masters earns you that little pay. Doctors in Canada make far less on average than their American counterparts by the way. My cousin is a MD, in the States he'd make the big bucks. He was offered a position in the US, and did part of his internship there, but he prefers small town living.

The kind of soceity we live in is where a person who spends 10 years in college learning to save life can't make as much in their 30 yr. career as an 18yr old highshool kid gets from a Sprite endorsement before they ever take a step on a professional basketball court. But then again I've yet to see a doctor do a tomahawk 360 dunk.

annunaki

annunaki

claudermilk said:
And people wonder why I ignore major league sports. I used to think hockey players were a bit different thant the whiny, overpaid, prima-donna thugs but I was obviously wrong. Oh well, at least that game has some interest. I think I'l stick primarily with racing, fewer of the prima-donna types & they get slapped down regularly.
I have kind of started this myself the last few years. Much more Formula 1 and less football. One either get results, or they get rid of them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sports in general has become more about advertising and endorsements than about the sports themselves. I'm a big hockey fan, but I don't feel bad about a salary cap at all. Though these guys take probably the worst beating of anyone, and get paid a lot less than say, prima donna baseball players, that doesn't mean they should be fixated on getting paid ridiculous sums of money to do something they supposedly want to do more than anything.

I never understood the need to pay a professional player MILLIONS of dollars for just about any sport. ALL salaries should be capped.

Don't get me started on movie and music stars. They are a whole different animal. OK, so some movies or albums make a lot of money and deservingly so (sometimes), so the stars of those movies/music get a pretty paycheck. Does that mean they need to drink blessed water and wear 7 million dollar necklaces? Who the f*** do these people think they are?

Last edited by a moderator:
annunaki

annunaki

j_garcia said:
Sports in general has become more about advertising and endorsements than about the sports themselves. I'm a big hockey fan, but I don't feel bad about a salary cap at all. Though these guys take probably the worst beating of anyone, and get paid a lot less than say, prima donna baseball players, that doesn't mean they should be fixated on getting paid ridiculous sums of money to do something they supposedly want to do more than anything.

I never understood the need to pay a professional player MILLIONS of dollars for just about any sport. ALL salaries should be capped.

Don't get me started on movie and music stars. They are a whole different animal. OK, so some movies or albums make a lot of money and deservingly so (sometimes), so the stars of those movies/music get a pretty paycheck. Does that mean they need to drink blessed water and wear 7 million dollar necklaces? Who the f*** do these people think they are?
Watch the language Garcia :) I agree, though. They think they are God or something. However, society makes them feel that way. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: They (most of society) keep spending their precious hard earned dollars on their crap, i.e. "art".

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry about the language. Yes, I love movies and music, but all that money doesn't make these peolple somehow different from anyone else. All that money goes to the heads of all these people.

Did I mention I can't wait to watch hockey again? :D I'm a consumer, like the rest of us, and I want to see my sports and movies and listen to music, but that doesn't make these people gods.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I think it's understandable language. Just out of curiosity Garcia, who's your team? The Kings or the Ducks? I'm a (whisper) Chicago fan. They've made some big moves and now they can afford to compete just like everyone else. Too bad they moved their arena though IMO. Traded a great location and history for modern conviences at a divey location.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Takeereasy said:
I think it's understandable language. Just out of curiosity Garcia, who's your team? The Kings or the Ducks? I'm a (whisper) Chicago fan. They've made some big moves and now they can afford to compete just like everyone else. Too bad they moved their arena though IMO. Traded a great location and history for modern conviences at a divey location.
A Canadian cheering for an American team? That's enought to get you deported isn't it? :D

I guess that's no worse than me being an Avalanche fan in Michigan. Just in case you didn't know, the Red Wings (and their fans) don't like the Avalanche very much.

J_Garcia, if you're a Kings fan, congratulations. You just got my favorite player - Mr. Roenick. :)

Fellow hockey fans, we need some more scoring in our sport. You gotta admit, all the D lately is getting old. I don't need to go back to the Gretzky days, but it would be nice if some of the stars could show off their skills. Maybe that would brings some more fans in!!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
SHARKS man...it's my hometown team :D Yeah, so they haven't gone all the way, but they're my team just the same.

That's OK, we don't like the AVs either... ;) Actually, I'm a Wings fan too :)

Number one complaint I hear about hockey is that the scores are so low. Well, that's because you actually have to WORK to get a goal in this sport :D You don't see any 100 to 99 scores in soccer do you?

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Coincidentally, I was watching Stephen A Smith's "Quite Frankly" yesterday and Drew Rosenhaus was on there, Owens' agent. It's funny to listen to these agents talk about their "clients." Their perception of reality (lived by the other 95% of the country) is soooo skewed and they've clearly lost all touch. It's as if they actually have forgotten that the vast, sweeping majority will never make, in an entire lifetime, what one of their clients will make in a single season. He blathers on about how "i'm just trying to protect their future" and "I want these guys to be set up for life AFTER their' career is over." Um, if that's the case, then spend a little less time urging them to hold out and a little more time directing them to financial advisors who could absolutely, without a doubt, make just a single seasons salary stretch a long way, not to mention multi-year payments. What he's really protecting is their absurdly lavish lifestyles. Think back to last year and the absolutely boneheaded, astounding comments Latrell Sprewell made. He needs more than $7 million a year because "he's got a family to feed??" WTF? If you can't feed your family with the $14 million your scheduled to make, then I suggest cutting your grocery list down a little. Oh wait, I mean cut your new-$200,000-car-I-must-have list down.

Anyway, it all comes down to the alternate reality they live in. Another agent on the show brought up the fact that the median income for a family in the US is $35,000 a year...while that's a little off (It's actually a little over $40,000), it's a far cry from what these guys make. Over 12% of the country lives below the poverty level. I bet that 12% just loves cutting on the tv and listening to T.O. state that he's not gonna come to work because $7 million a year just isn't going to get it done. It's a joke. These players and their agents (not all, but a lot) are complete jerks with no concept of how the other half lives.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
j_garcia said:
You don't see any 100 to 99 scores in soccer do you?
That's why no one watches soccer!!! I'm all for defense to a point. But it can make for some long, boring games.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Yeah some are jerks and others are extremely nice. Jim Edmonds and Scott Rolen of the St. Louis cardinals are two guys that are clients of my company. I see them often and they are really down to earth guys, if you didnt know they were cards players you wouldnt think twice that they made millions.

R

RhapsodyInBlack

Junior Audioholic
The sooner we stop endorsing these players by purchasing nike, adidas, gatorade and whatever other flavor of the day they pimp,the sooner the message will get to them.....I, for one, havent put any nike emblazoned attire or footwear on for over 10 years because of this reason.....Not only that, but i am so adamant about this that for the last few years i absolutely refuse to wear any shirts that endorse anything...period...I figure if nike can afford to pay some bonehead 5 million dollars to have a picture taken wearing some sort of product endorsment, then they need to at least pay me a weeks salary before i advertise for them by wearing some lame nike shirt...I love it when i see people clamoring and saving up for weeks on end to buy a 150 dollar pair of shoes and a nike shirt to match it, when the likes of labron james and others get paid millions of dollars to do the exact same thing....So i will be forever out of touch with my plain grey, white, black and blue non-labeled and non-text t-shirts until they decide to give me free product or pay me money by endorsing them...That being said,anyone in here need a product endorsement ? send your t-shirts my way ( free of charge,of course ) and i will promise to wear it a few times a month....what a deal.....and what a huge amount of savings you get.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Not trying to get political, but it's all chump change when you consider that the USG spends about 70-80 billion dollars each day. They could tax away all of these guys' earning and assets, along with Bill Gates and Warren Buffets (throw in Exxon and Chevron for a bonus) and not even balance the stupid budget.

Mort (off the soap box now)

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
sharpie anyone?

I'd love to see the Eagles bench him for the entire season. Or perhaps the first 4 games.. something!!!

Problem is with Pinkston down, they need a strong WR... aside from TO, they have nada!! A shame.

I guess all the challenges this year will be AFC vs. AFC games

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis