Speakers with built in subwoofers

B

BengalCatKilo

Enthusiast
I'm currently looking at Golden Ear Triton One.R speakers for the Mains and surrounds in a Atmos 5.1.4 setup. My question is with speakers that have built in subwoofers.
1- Do I need a separate subwoofer/s
2- How do you best calibrate these type of speakers. (I'm currently using a Anthem MRX 720 with ARC)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1. Depends on how much bass is enough for you
2. Try both types - LFE from AVR to the built-in subs vs FULL-RANGE. I prefer LFE and treat the built-in subs like separate subwoofers.

One thing I would say - I don't like the idea of putting amps inside speakers or subs. It might be a PITA if one of these amps ever fail. If you have amps OUTSIDE the speakers/subs, you can easily just use another amp. But that's just my preference.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Generally speaking, these types of speakers are frowned upon.

Many will say it is because subwoofer placement in a room is difficult. You can end up with a boomy sound you don't like, or weak bass which you aren't happy with. I have no problem with this as a concept.

As well, a major issue that I've seen, dozens of times, is that the amplifier in these speakers breaks. It overheats, or whatever, and no longer works. This puts a high dollar repair out there as a requirement to get your speakers up and running. A major issue if the speaker is discontinued or the amplifier is no longer manufactured. Yes, I've seen this as well. All with Definitive Technology speakers.

IMO, it is money MUCH better spent by getting high quality passive speakers around the room, then pair it with excellent subwoofers which can be placed where they are supposed to go into the room. The money spent will not be wasted on high dollar subwoofers from a company that may or may not be doing justice to the bass needs in your room. And you get a subwoofer that is designed from the ground up from a company that really knows their subwoofers.

This doesn't mean that Golden Ear, or Def Tech don't make quality speakers. It just means that I would avoid the speakers with subwoofers in favor of their long line of other models which are available which should perform just as well without the headache of the integrated sub.

B

BengalCatKilo

Enthusiast
Thank you for your reply. I normally would be looking at passive speakers for my HT system but this was a closeout deal from my local dealer who wants to push through them as such I can get a substantial deal on these particular speakers. They are also a service center so any issues with the amps could be repaired by them. It sounds more of a headache trying to get this type of speaker to perform well in a HT environment as I've learned that subwoofer placement is completely different than your other speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wouldn't be my cup of tea, and usually they're more bass modules than true subwoofers (and you are limited to placing the "subs" with the speakers which is likely less than ideal in most rooms but maybe with a full set of 5 or 7 of them it might work well enough). Altho these days wouldn't buy anything from GE due their new owner (Fraudioquest), I wouldn't give them a dime.....

B

BengalCatKilo

Enthusiast
Wouldn't be my cup of tea, and usually they're more bass modules than true subwoofers (and you are limited to placing the "subs" with the speakers which is likely less than ideal in most rooms but maybe with a full set of 5 or 7 of them it might work well enough). Altho these days wouldn't buy anything from GE due their new owner (Fraudioquest), I wouldn't give them a dime.....
Ah, might explain why the dealer is pushing these so hard. Think I'll stick to my original plan and build upon my Martin Logan system and add separate subs as needed.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A major issue if the speaker is discontinued or the amplifier is no longer manufactured. Yes, I've seen this as well. All with Definitive Technology speakers.
I've seen a few Infinity Interlude IL50 and IL60 towers with blown bass amps in the classifieds too. There's a guy on ebay who specializes in amp repairs for just those models, and it's not cheap. They're really good speakers, but discontinued and no longer supported by the company.

I agree with the rest of your post too. I think having your powered subs separate offers a lot more advantages, and I'm in line with ADTG too. Passive subs (and speakers) are nice and easy to deal with if an amp goes on you. My next sub will likely be passive too.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Generally speaking, these types of speakers are frowned upon.

Many will say it is because subwoofer placement in a room is difficult. You can end up with a boomy sound you don't like, or weak bass which you aren't happy with. I have no problem with this as a concept.

As well, a major issue that I've seen, dozens of times, is that the amplifier in these speakers breaks. It overheats, or whatever, and no longer works. This puts a high dollar repair out there as a requirement to get your speakers up and running. A major issue if the speaker is discontinued or the amplifier is no longer manufactured. Yes, I've seen this as well. All with Definitive Technology speakers.

IMO, it is money MUCH better spent by getting high quality passive speakers around the room, then pair it with excellent subwoofers which can be placed where they are supposed to go into the room. The money spent will not be wasted on high dollar subwoofers from a company that may or may not be doing justice to the bass needs in your room. And you get a subwoofer that is designed from the ground up from a company that really knows their subwoofers.

This doesn't mean that Golden Ear, or Def Tech don't make quality speakers. It just means that I would avoid the speakers with subwoofers in favor of their long line of other models which are available which should perform just as well without the headache of the integrated sub.
To add to BMXTRIX post... Speakers with built in subs maybe prone to a compromise in speaker placement. You may find that speakers placed for optimum stereo sound may compromise bass response because the location may not be optimum for bass. Bass is really dependent on room geometry and placement within that geometry. Conversely, placing the speakers for optimum bass response may result in speaker placement in opposite corners as an example which would totally destroy stereo imaging.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've seen a few Infinity Interlude IL50 and IL60 towers with blown bass amps in the classifieds too. There's a guy on ebay who specializes in amp repairs for just those models, and it's not cheap. They're really good speakers, but discontinued and no longer supported by the company.

I agree with the rest of your post too. I think having your powered subs separate offers a lot more advantages, and I'm in line with ADTG too. Passive subs (and speakers) are nice and easy to deal with if an amp goes on you. My next sub will likely be passive too.
Was that SV1212NR the 1st passive sub in your life?:D

The 1st sub I ever owned in my life was when I was about 19 years old. And it was a passive sub. I didn't even own a powered sub until about 10 years ago (and sold them 1 year later). :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis