Speakers + subwoofer connections

G

<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Talked to a recording engineer recently who advised me NOT to use studio monitors for home use ... I had been considering Mackies ... so ... I checked out a set of Sonus Fabers (concertino): wow! they sound stunning  </td></tr></table>

Can't say I agree with that opinion for the Dyns, especially if you will be listening in a near-field environment (less than 6 feet from the speakers).

I've heard a number of users say the Dynaudio BM6A actives are better than their Audience line brothern (Audience 52) for home use.

The Mackies I haven't listened to, so I can't comment.  Sonus Faber are really nice speakers, but are voiced differently, so be sure you try an extended listening audition before buying, if possible.

All receiver's have digital inputs (either coax or Toslink), otherwise they couldn't accept the input from a DVD player.  So maybe the input is labeled DVD player, but that's where you would plug in the coax digital output from the M-Audio PCI card.</font>

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
sokukodo : <font color='#000000'>Talked to a recording engineer recently who advised me NOT to use studio monitors for home use...</font>
<font color='#008080'>I am a recording engineer and I do not agree with this statement (as a general guideline). Keep in mind, however, that you still have to evaluate each studio monitor on its own merit. Also, you'll want to make sure you don't buy a pair of near-field monitors if you intend to sit farther back from your speakers.

But as a whole, studio monitors can be a great way to enjoy music and home threatre.</font>

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Only real reason to use optical out is if you have noise issues from your computer. &nbsp;

On my PC, I found noise in the form of a weird &quot;blipping&quot; noise when I did things with the volume up high, like using my mouse's scroll wheel.

Sadly, my soundcard does not have an optical out, only coax, so I'm looking at using some double shielded interconnect cable I bought a while back and make my own cable. &nbsp;Since the digital coax is apparently 75ohm, like it's analogue counterpart.

I did make a nice set of analog interconnects with that cable.....wait, did i just spell analog the british way above.....darn earl grey tea

well later all, I either need less tea or more rest &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis