speakers for a large room

skypickle

skypickle

Audioholic Intern
Elsewhere has recommended Harbeth 40.2. But those go for 18k. Has anyone actually heard those?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
That's a lot of coin for a very traditional, if well executed, speaker. If you're worried about the ability to fill your room, tha Salk SS 8 will have more dynamic range yet compromise nothing r/t the Harbeths.

It's been years since I heard a Harbeth, at RMAF, so take it with a grain of salt. The Harbeths are probably fine speakers, and for $18k they had better be! The SS 8 are among the best you can buy regardless of price.

skypickle

skypickle

Audioholic Intern
I’ve fallen to a rabbit hole. Now revel f228e and Salk 9.5 are on the table too. But with used salon2 available for 10k I need to audition. Unfortunately Salk and jtr have no showrooms in Boston

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Salk has no showrooms period, and I think JTR is the same (maybe, someone correct me if I'm wrong). But if you reach out to Salk, they may be able to hook you up with a nearby owner of the model you're looking at who is willing to audition the speakers for you.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
For a Salk audition, the best bet is to network with existing owners, and I suspect you can find someone local. JTR are more rare, and since WAF is important, they may be too big and ugly anyway. Salon2 and other high end Revel models are worth getting ears on.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Surprised no one has mentioned Sonus Faber unless I missed it. Or Legacy

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I’ve fallen to a rabbit hole. Now revel f228e and Salk 9.5 are on the table too. But with used salon2 available for 10k I need to audition. Unfortunately Salk and jtr have no showrooms in Boston
I have heard both speakers, and they are both outstanding. Flip a coin between them, you win either way.

skypickle

skypickle

Audioholic Intern
I was looking at the salk ss8 as well as the new ss9.5. A fellow who makes videos for this website, Matt Poes, noted that he was impressed with the dispersion of the BMR monitor. These use the RAAL 64-10 tweeter. This same tweeter is used in the ss8. However the newer ss9.5 seems to have a different tweeter. Does anyone know why the tweeter wa changed? I guess the directionality of the ss9.5 is greater but really do not know. Is the clarity better with the newer tweeter?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I was looking at the salk ss8 as well as the new ss9.5. A fellow who makes videos for this website, Matt Poes, noted that he was impressed with the dispersion of the BMR monitor. These use the RAAL 64-10 tweeter. This same tweeter is used in the ss8. However the newer ss9.5 seems to have a different tweeter. Does anyone know why the tweeter wa changed? I guess the directionality of the ss9.5 is greater but really do not know. Is the clarity better with the newer tweeter?
You should ask @DennisMurphy that, he designed them both, so no one will know the answer to that better than him.

B

Bernie Williams

Junior Audioholic
I own a pair of legacy audio focus SE's. I am a believer in "no replacement for displacement". They are big enough to fill that room and look great also. I am very happy with mine. FYI I also own a pair of B&W 803 D3's I use for music in my man cave/work area. The tweeter is definitely brighter though they sound good to my old ears. I can see where listening to the B&W's for a long time at louder volumes might be a little hard on the ears, but great speakers. The SE's sound a little more smooth, definitely have more bass, and are not fatiguing at louder volumes. Just my opinion.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The SS9.5 uses the SB Acoustic Beryllium Tweeter and its wonderful unit. I have it in my Salks and having heard both it tends to be a toss up IMHO. The 64-10 RAAL is nice, but if you're considering the RAAL, the 70-20 would be my choice on that model. Jim can customize the speakers to your liking.

skypickle

skypickle

Audioholic Intern
After multiple road trips I found a pair of salon2 for 10k. Took my amps (sanders sound mono blocks) and they were driven nicely. Almost as nicely as the emm mono blocks the seller had. Stunned by the broadness of the soundstage. And unlike the Maggies, I can pump out dire straits to cure the pain in my bones.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
After multiple road trips I found a pair of salon2 for 10k. Took my amps (sanders sound mono blocks) and they were driven nicely. Almost as nicely as the emm mono blocks the seller had. Stunned by the broadness of the soundstage. And unlike the Maggies, I can pump out dire straits to cure the pain in my bones.
Does all this mean you purchased them?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis