Speakers and AV unit for custom garage ?

J

John Clement

Junior Audioholic
Need some help with garage system in a roughy 36x25 3 car garage .. for the time being I’m using receiver off my screened In porch which is a onkyo sr373 as Sunday my onkyo 777 will not stay on or powered up after firmware update. ? That’s another story but On to the help..

I want a dedicated AV unit media player or something maybe I don’t know about to run speakers with connection possibilities to add a couple of wall control for volume and source . I want a Bluetooth capable and also network unit as I also have a television mostly for you tube but enjoy Tidal music as well .
Im debating on which style and brand but think I need 3 pair of speakers to cover all the area like I want to hear it , LOUD..
my third stall has a partial wall that blocks sound now so that’s why I think another pair would benefit me
.. I have been looking at speaker Craft ceiling and or infinity 162’s as well as Ascend Acoustics and open for suggestions ..?
I don’t want Klipsch as that’s what I’m replacing in my living room and using my old set from last year .. I also have looked into RBH Speakers.
I prefer the sound of my old Paradigm monitor v4’s over the harsh Klipsch . I also have a spare HSU VTF15 I’m probably going to utilize well.
Pardon the typos and errors I’m in between stop lights and so on .
I am fixing to add Swiss Trax ribbed and Rubber flooring which will help sound , I think it should help anyways ..
It’s under construction and most done by myself and that’s saying something as km not much of a carpenter..

Any thoughts or ideas on what type of brand would you go with.
I made a post earlier in wrong. Section

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
J

John Clement

Junior Audioholic
I guess no one has suggestions for me. I was thinking of a large center for tv and two car stall area , one set of book shelf’s in upper right and left corner , one pair of books in center beam and one set of books in third stall..?
Now my main question is what speakers to purchase and I’m confused on audio receiver vs home theater ? Also to run the number of speakers what receiver do I want as I’m also wanting to add wall volume controls ?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've read your post and I'm still not certain what you're trying to accomplish.

It sounds like you want a surround sound system for your garage? I don't know, hard to determine from your post.

The Bluetooth AVR is pretty easy, and one capable of powering speakers for this space should not be much of a problem either.

Still hard to tell what exactly you want here.

Main two bays...where the TV is...3 book shelf speakers on that shelf below the TV should be plenty...if you want surround sound...add to side surrounds and you're done there. You might want the single bay on a separate zone and depending on how many speakers you put in the large bay area one AVR could power your zone 2...or get a small 2 channel amp.

J

John Clement

Junior Audioholic
I've read your post and I'm still not certain what you're trying to accomplish.

It sounds like you want a surround sound system for your garage? I don't know, hard to determine from your post.

The Bluetooth AVR is pretty easy, and one capable of powering speakers for this space should not be much of a problem either.

Still hard to tell what exactly you want here.

Main two bays...where the TV is...3 book shelf speakers on that shelf below the TV should be plenty...if you want surround sound...add to side surrounds and you're done there. You might want the single bay on a separate zone and depending on how many speakers you put in the large bay area one AVR could power your zone 2...or get a small 2 channel amp.
Sorry, I’m not good at explaining but I want a loud not background style sound ..
With the help of some members I have determined I need some large bookshelf 6.5” or larger book shelf’s speakers mounted to walls and or ceiling that articulate to aim sound down .
Pinpoint makes some great mounts ..
I was wanting to know if I needed outdoor, pa speakers or studio monitors for best bass response .
I’m going to power with the Outlaw 2160 receiver..
Have a couple of speakers in order like the Klipsch 600’ bookshelf and HSU..
I’m wanting suggestions on speakers for best sound in this application.. thx

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So you've decided to go 2ch rather than surround since you're going with the RR2160? Maybe something like a pair of the Behringer B212XL or B215XL speakers; easy to drive to very loud levels but despite the largish drivers they really still need a sub (or subs for your large space) for bass, tho. Maybe a couple Dayton SUB1500s....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Sorry, I’m not good at explaining but I want a loud not background style sound ..
With the help of some members I have determined I need some large bookshelf 6.5” or larger book shelf’s speakers mounted to walls and or ceiling that articulate to aim sound down .
Pinpoint makes some great mounts ..
I was wanting to know if I needed outdoor, pa speakers or studio monitors for best bass response .
I’m going to power with the Outlaw 2160 receiver..
Have a couple of speakers in order like the Klipsch 600’ bookshelf and HSU..
I’m wanting suggestions on speakers for best sound in this application.. thx

I don't know what you have for the AV budget, but I wouldn't worry about the main speakers producing bass- if you live close to others, a sub's level will need to be monitored, in order to prevent annoying them but if you want real bass in the garage, bookshelf speakers aren't where you'll find it unless they're placed where three panels meet (two walls and ceiling) and they're able to handle high excursion. If they can't, you'll be disappointed- the bass response will be lacking unless the woofers are large.

The flooring will do almost nothing to help the acoustics- the pattern is far too shallow for that.

I did a garage with two JBL C-28 speakers and a sub and it rocks. The output is limited to the receiver's power, but if you want a simple system, look at the Yamaha MusicCast WXC-50 and find a power amp that has a 12VDC trigger. I have used Dayton amplifiers from Parts Express and they're good- one is 9 years old and in a fitness facility with a Yoga studio- I bridged the channels in the Yoga studio because it has a pair of Polk outdoor speakers but the main room, which is 35' x 65'x 14', has eight 8" in-ceiling speakers from Proficient- she had a tight budget but they sound good. I also installed a JBL Control-Sub2210 dual ten inch sub on its own Behringer A500 power amp and put a Behringer FBQ-1502 equalizer with sub crossover. Since I have everything set to mono, one channel of the EQ is for the main room, the other is for the Yoga studio. She uses a wireless mic and that required a small mixer, but for your garage, the Yamaha WXC-50 can be used for all of your sources- I have one and am using it as my preamp, with an old Sony ES integrated amp connected for its phono section.

The Yamaha can be mixed to mono, it has filters, compression, BT, Airplay, ethernet port AND WiFi (I strongly recommend wiring ANYTHING that doesn't move) and it streams whatever you want, or uses the phone as the source. It can also use the USB port for outboard storage devices. The app works great and I have had mine for almost two years- I like the sound, flexibility and extra input/output jacks- these are the main reason I chose it over Sonos.

I also did the audio upgrade for a school gym-

Crown CDi1000 power amp, eight JBL C26D 70V in-ceiling speakers and the same JBL Control S2210 subwoofer- that system also needed a mixer, but the Crown amp can be connected to the MusicCast piece just as easily but since it's a commercial audio piece, it doesn't use RCA, 1/4" or XLR jacks- it uses Phoenix connectors (also called 'Euro-style), but that's no big deal. It can be used with standard 2-4-8 Ohm speakers, or 70V/100V speakers in a commercial/industrial installation. It also has a DSP, which handles stereo/mono, limiting, level controls, 5-band parametric EQ for the input/8-band parametric for the output; it has a pink noise source for each channel, the controls on the face can be locked out and full setup is done with a computer via USB cable and Audio Architect software (which is really cool!). The gym has a full basketball court + about 12' on each side, a stage with heavy curtains at the front and the ceiling has a shallow slope, from around 16'-24' at the center.

If you don't need 500W/channel, you can use the systems as a model and buy what you do need WRT power- the QSC amp in the link should be plenty- it's actually rated at 600W/ch, but it's less money and doesn't do quite as much-

https://www.zzounds.com/item--QSCGXD4?siid=167722&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkfriBRD1ARIsAASKsQKarNUikEjUzUfEqKSRXhTPVihUlBiq5vJh-h4nZYLiiPLjviJ3mhIaArB4EALw_wcB

Last edited:
J

John Clement

Junior Audioholic
I don't know what you have for the AV budget, but I wouldn't worry about the main speakers producing bass- if you live close to others, a sub's level will need to be monitored, in order to prevent annoying them but if you want real bass in the garage, bookshelf speakers aren't where you'll find it unless they're placed where three panels meet (two walls and ceiling) and they're able to handle high excursion. If they can't, you'll be disappointed- the bass response will be lacking unless the woofers are large.

The flooring will do almost nothing to help the acoustics- the pattern is far too shallow for that.

I did a garage with two JBL C-28 speakers and a sub and it rocks. The output is limited to the receiver's power, but if you want a simple system, look at the Yamaha MusicCast WXC-50 and find a power amp that has a 12VDC trigger. I have used Dayton amplifiers from Parts Express and they're good- one is 9 years old and in a fitness facility with a Yoga studio- I bridged the channels in the Yoga studio because it has a pair of Polk outdoor speakers but the main room, which is 35' x 65'x 14', has eight 8" in-ceiling speakers from Proficient- she had a tight budget but they sound good. I also installed a JBL Control-Sub2210 dual ten inch sub on its own Behringer A500 power amp and put a Behringer FBQ-1502 equalizer with sub crossover. Since I have everything set to mono, one channel of the EQ is for the main room, the other is for the Yoga studio. She uses a wireless mic and that required a small mixer, but for your garage, the Yamaha WXC-50 can be used for all of your sources- I have one and am using it as my preamp, with an old Sony ES integrated amp connected for its phono section.

The Yamaha can be mixed to mono, it has filters, compression, BT, Airplay, ethernet port AND WiFi (I strongly recommend wiring ANYTHING that doesn't move) and it streams whatever you want, or uses the phone as the source. It can also use the USB port for outboard storage devices. The app works great and I have had mine for almost two years- I like the sound, flexibility and extra input/output jacks- these are the main reason I chose it over Sonos.

I also did the audio upgrade for a school gym-

Crown CDi1000 power amp, eight JBL C26D 70V in-ceiling speakers and the same JBL Control S2210 subwoofer- that system also needed a mixer, but the Crown amp can be connected to the MusicCast piece just as easily but since it's a commercial audio piece, it doesn't use RCA, 1/4" or XLR jacks- it uses Phoenix connectors (also called 'Euro-style), but that's no big deal. It can be used with standard 2-4-8 Ohm speakers, or 70V/100V speakers in a commercial/industrial installation. It also has a DSP, which handles stereo/mono, limiting, level controls, 5-band parametric EQ for the input/8-band parametric for the output; it has a pink noise source for each channel, the controls on the face can be locked out and full setup is done with a computer via USB cable and Audio Architect software (which is really cool!). The gym has a full basketball court + about 12' on each side, a stage with heavy curtains at the front and the ceiling has a shallow slope, from around 16'-24' at the center.

If you don't need 500W/channel, you can use the systems as a model and buy what you do need WRT power- the QSC amp in the link should be plenty- it's actually rated at 600W/ch, but it's less money and doesn't do quite as much-

https://www.zzounds.com/item--QSCGXD4?siid=167722&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkfriBRD1ARIsAASKsQKarNUikEjUzUfEqKSRXhTPVihUlBiq5vJh-h4nZYLiiPLjviJ3mhIaArB4EALw_wcB
Thanks for the input .
I don’t want surround but want to go loud when needed ..
I will be using my HSU VTF 15 in garage as well as 4 speakers .
my lack of knowledge on Audio isn’t helping me
I want 4 speakers running that I can play from my iPhone , you tube videos and Tidal music..
I have great WiFi and with the thin rubber floor that’s used under the Swiss track Modular flooring , it should help the sound .

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I want 4 speakers running that I can play from my iPhone , you tube videos and Tidal music..
I have great WiFi and with the thin rubber floor that’s used under the Swiss track Modular flooring , it should help the sound .

The rubber helps with foot traffic, but that doesn't mean it will do much to stop reflections. However, if you aim the speakers above the floor (roughly at head height), you shouldn't have a big problem with that. With a bit of toe-in, you should be fine.

J

John Clement

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for input everyone. Would a pendent speaker like the pro or pendent JBL benefit me? Also as far as sound dampening what areas should I focus ?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis