Speaker wire; MONSTER CABLE OR COAT HANGERS??

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I think there's a different reality to high-end cables... and maybe even components altogether. I have to admit... I'm one of those guys who's got $1K to $2k in cables either plugged in or laying around somewhere in a box waiting to get plugged in.
That is not good for them, laying around doing nothing:D
You need to help the economy and buy more components so you can use them, get your money's worth out of them. :D

Did I buy because I honestly believed it was that much better than "normal" cable? No... not at all. I bought because I felt secure that it was no worse and could potentially yield benefits if all the cables were of similar variety.
But that last part is the same as believing them to be better.

The most honest answer, however, is that I think they're cool. .
Then, that is all that matters, being cool:D

itschris

itschris

Don't we all buy stuff, to one degree or another, because we "want" vs "need?" Who needs a sports car or fancy clothes?

The cabes I have... kimber and monster, were bought over a period of years. I can't stomach dropping $1000+ for wires... believe me... but buying a set here or there doesn't hurt as bad. I do think there's some benefit to higher end cables... at least if all your cables are of similar caliber with high end components. I think there's a commulative effect perhaps. Can I say that I definitively hear the difference, I don't know... maybe, maybe not, but I "feel" things are better and I lack the question mark in the back of my head that tells me I could be missing out by connecting with cheap cables... that's worth a lot to me. I refuse to believe that high end cables are worthless, 1 - because I have some and I'd feel like an idiot, but 2 - the market/consumer wouldn't stand for it... at least not over the long term like it's been.

Sometimes perceived benefit is just as important and real as the real kind.

S

sglade

Audiophyte
Well I am still newb, but where it can be confusing for the consumer out there trying to build a system, they are told "your quality is only as good as the cables you run" and therefore think that expensive must equal better. :(

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Well I am still newb, but where it can be confusing for the consumer out there trying to build a system, they are told "your quality is only as good as the cables you run" and therefore think that expensive must equal better. :(
Sure it can be confusing to those who are just not versed in this stuff, or looked into this area more. And, whom would they believe when they have no underlying reason to question the advice.
No different than many other consumer marketplace. Unless you are well versed in something you will rarely question.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis