Speaker Upgrade advice

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
Took a few snippets...

Hi Skads, it just strikes me that the type of speakers you're considering to date are somewhat at odds with your stated needs (dedicated HT; 90% movies; better and louder sound...). So far, what you're considering are more like different flavours of the same thing that cost more, rather than a true upgrade.

You need to bust out of the old paradigm of glossy, mass produced, average sensitivity, quasi full range towers masquerading as high performance HT speakers! :D

To truly meet your needs, I'd aim for a front end of 3 X JTR Noesis 228HT's (US$1300 each). For precision, clarity and dynamics at all volume levels, the JTR's will put "the usual suspects" in the shade. The combination of genuine high sensitivity, high power handling/low distortion and controlled directivity (not spraying sound all over the side walls) are the keys that set the JTR Noesis apart.

If all three will be a stretch, just get a pair initially. Due to the controlled directivity of their horn, JTR's image very well so will achieve a solid "phantom" centre image with some experimentation with toe-in. Get the third later when budget permits.

Wish I'd spotted your thread before you bought the XPA-3. :( You can confidently return it to help fund the speaker purchase as it will not be needed with the JTR's. Your Pioneer SC-25 will be fine. It is THX Select2 Plus certified and therefore will have about 10dB (10x power) up it's sleeve (headroom) at calibrated reference level (0dBMV) in your proposed room driving the 98dB/2V/1m JTR's.

Suitable surrounds for the JTR's are these JBL 834A's ($1100/pr).

If a walnut finish floats your boat, JTR will do a range of veneers or custom matched finishes (at cost I understand). They're still a basic box though! :D

Jump on the Official JTR Speaker thread over at AVS and ask around. Many JTR owners are only too happy to oblige with an audition, and with any luck there's someone in your area. Failing that, like all good ID speaker companies, JTR has a "love 'em or send 'em back" policy.

Good luck! ;)
Thanks for the input . I do have to say though and it's my fault I haven't mentioned it on this thread before, I have many cd's, and after listening to studios, silvers and the sonus fabers. I have to say I will be listening to a lot more music, maybe 35% or even more.
I might even get into vinyl as well.
If I had the money I would get the sonus Faber venere 2.5 for music only and keep what I have for movies.
So am I still on the right path? My music listening will definitely increase, based on what I've heard so far. I've also taken note of the equipment they use at the store and treatment.

I've always read and heard that if the speakers are good for music, they will be good for movies as well, does this logic still apply?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
forgot to add, even though it plays a very minute roll, aesthetically, the t45's are not that pleasing either. i have black ash.
some nice looking walnut speakers would look sweet.
The T45's are not very heavy so you may want to bring them in to the dealer and do some extended comparison with the Studio 60 and hopefully others in the same price range. I strongly suggest you bring your own CDs/SACDs or digital files (preferably HD) that you are familiar with. You can't compare the T45s in your home listening environment with other speakers in the dealer's demo room and I think you know the reasons.

With your budget you may also audition the KEF 500. )http://www.soundstage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=793:nrc-measurements-kef-r500&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements) I just don't think one can expect much improvements going from T45 to Studio 60. In fact I think they will sound quite similar and I also think the newer Image T6 may sound more accurate than the Studio, lower THD anyway on paper. At the end though, it is a subjective matter so it is you who has the final say. All we can suggest is that you take the time and try to be as objective as practically possible when doing your comparison listening. If you are going to spend $3,450 on speaker upgrade you want to be sure that the new speakers really sound better in your own home with your own equipment, not just sounding better in the dealer's room using their audio equipment and possible their choice of media.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The T45's are not very heavy so you may want to bring them in to the dealer and do some extended comparison with the Studio 60 and hopefully others in the same price range. I strongly suggest you bring your own CDs/SACDs or digital files (preferably HD) that you are familiar with. You can't compare the T45s in your home listening environment with other speakers in the dealer's demo room and I think you know the reasons.

With your budget you may also audition the KEF 500. )http://www.soundstage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=793:nrc-measurements-kef-r500&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements) I just don't think one can expect much improvements going from T45 to Studio 60. In fact I think they will sound quite similar and I also think the newer Image T6 may sound more accurate than the Studio, lower THD anyway on paper. At the end though, it is a subjective matter so it is you who has the final say. All we can suggest is that you take the time and try to be as objective as practically possible when doing your comparison listening. If you are going to spend $3,450 on speaker upgrade you want to be sure that the new speakers really sound better in your own home with your own equipment, not just sounding better in the dealer's room using their audio equipment and possible their choice of media.
I agree totally with PENG. One cannot correctly evaluate speakers in two different acoustic environments. Having read through this thread, I get that you no longer like the PSB. However, you will most likely make another mistake if you don't take care to correctly try to audition speakers in at least similar acoustic venues. Your preferences suggest you like the Paradigms better than the PSB but it's only really valid for that acoustic venue. I would wait until you have completed your listening room before pulling the trigger on new speakers that may or may not work in your room.

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic

I agree, that could be a good idea to bring them to the store.
you bring up some good points, i will audition the kef as well, not many stores that carry those around my area unfortunately.
as far as similarities, i find my t45 sounds similar to lets say the monitor 7, have heard both. but when I heard the 60. music at least sounded better. but again, it wasnt a direct a/b comparison.

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
I agree totally with PENG. One cannot correctly evaluate speakers in two different acoustic environments. Having read through this thread, I get that you no longer like the PSB. However, you will most likely make another mistake if you don't take care to correctly try to audition speakers in at least similar acoustic venues. Your preferences suggest you like the Paradigms better than the PSB but it's only really valid for that acoustic venue. I would wait until you have completed your listening room before pulling the trigger on new speakers that may or may not work in your room.
i dont necessarily no longer like psb, but i agree 100%, i will need to wait until the basement is completed. re-connect the t-45's (its been awhile) and then try to test speakers at home, or bring the t45's to the store to compare.

the other option is to move up the psb ladder? i still would like to audition the imagines.

please dont forget, I also want speakers that look nice as well, im not too crazy about black ash.
I would like a nice walnut veneer speaker next time.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
i dont necessarily no longer like psb, but i agree 100%, i will need to wait until the basement is completed. re-connect the t-45's (its been awhile) and then try to test speakers at home, or bring the t45's to the store to compare.

the other option is to move up the psb ladder? i still would like to audition the imagines.

please dont forget, I also want speakers that look nice as well, im not too crazy about black ash.
I would like a nice walnut veneer speaker next time.
I own the t45s and they do look pedestarian ...ermm ugly? :) . No worries... They look better with the grills off I think. They work very well in my room but my room and your room are two different animals.

You can try out the Imagines as well. Liking a speaker is very subjective thing ... One man's meat may be another man's poison type of thing. :)

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
I own the t45s and they do look pedestarian ...ermm ugly? :) . No worries... They look better with the grills off I think. They work very well in my room but my room and your room are two different animals.

You can try out the Imagines as well. Liking a speaker is very subjective thing ... One man's meat may be another man's poison type of thing. :)
yeah, got tired of the look really, plus the black ash isnt my cup of tea anymore.

and dont get me wrong all the speakers im listening to, i know im not going from a honda to mercedes. but more like a honda to an acura type of thing.

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic

its a shame the x2t's dont have any other finish options, veneer, etc.
i would need to audition them. but man that black ash wood grain...

have you auditioned them by any chance? or heard of comments?
im wondering if its better than the imagine t?
the imagine t2 is way too pricey unfortunately for me.
I saw a used pair online, but they are no longer there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis