Speaker suggestions for a dolby atmos setup - budget 4.5k

A

Aman

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

A friend of mine is looking to get the below for his basement home theatre:

I wanted to know which other options are available as I don't have too much trust in Klipsch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does he want the bouncy type Atmos speakers rather than install speakers in his ceiling? What does your trust in Klipsch have to do with his system? :) I wouldn't buy Klipsch subs particularly nor their speakers, but if he likes them....what receiver/amp setup does he have?

A

Aman

Audioholic Intern
Does he want the bouncy type Atmos speakers rather than install speakers in his ceiling? What does your trust in Klipsch have to do with his system? :) I wouldn't buy Klipsch subs particularly nor their speakers, but if he likes them....what receiver/amp setup does he have?
He is open to both. Whatever works better for atmos.

Apparently my home theater is the benchmark in my community :D so everyone that is building a home theater comes to me for advice.

He has marantz 7013.

PS: I think it was you that convinced me to get the PSA subs a couple of years back!!!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Apparently my home theater is the benchmark in my community :D so everyone that is building a home theater comes to me for advice.

He has marantz 7013.

PS: I think it was you that convinced me to get the PSA subs a couple of years back!!!
So what do you have? Why doesn't he want what you have? I don't know, mebbe, what PSA subs were they? :)

A

Aman

Audioholic Intern
So what do you have? Why doesn't he want what you have? I don't know, mebbe, what PSA subs were they? :)
I have a dedicated HT room. He wants an open floor plan where HT is on one side. Plus I have little kids to I went with in wall. He is open to bookshelves and towers.

Here is what I have:

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I think Klipsch RP is a great choice for theater, while their subs aren’t the best, they are found cheap so why not?

Dealer discounts definitely make them more attractive than other speakers.

I’d definitely recommend going in ceiling speakers vs reflecting speakers, those rarely work well.

Edit: I realize you linked a Klipsch reference system.

I’d push for a Klipsch RP system.

2 Klipsch RP6000F’s $1200
1 Klipsch RP504C $550
4 Klipsch RP5000F’s $1800
2 Klipsch SPL120’s $1400
4 Klipsch PRO160RPC $1200

Total Price: $6150

Total Price with 30% discount: $4305

Last edited:
A

Aman

Audioholic Intern
What other alternatives exist in the same price range?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
What other alternatives exist in the same price range?
Plenty really, you could do systems from SVS, Paradigm, KEF, RBH, or many others in that range. If your friend wants to have speakers and subs from just one brand, I'd lean toward SVS, if he's ok with mixing sub and speaker brands, that opens things up even more. Hsu subs would be a great option mixed with any of the above speaker brands.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hi,

A friend of mine is looking to get the below for his basement home theatre:

I wanted to know which other options are available as I don't have too much trust in Klipsch.
I’m mostly indifferent to klipsch but understand why you would be reticent to recommend. FWIW, IMO the RP series can make a decent HT. BUT! I would NOT use their Subs and definitely not use speakers with bouncy modules built in to the top. Those modules can be very difficult to get right and even more so when you can’t move them independently of the tower speaker. Not to mention varying ceiling heights and seating distances. I don’t know how they they think a fixed module is even remotely a good idea. If they have to be bouncy, I’d make sure they were independent.
Is 4.5k a super hard number?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
How big is the room? L/W/H

Subs from HSU would be where I would start.

A

Aman

Audioholic Intern
How big is the room? L/W/H

Subs from HSU would be where I would start.
This is the how the set up will be. Height is going to be 9ft. The space to the right of the screen will be open so any suggestions to improve the acoustics will also be appreciated.
1572950336584.png

Attachments

A

Aman

Audioholic Intern
I’m mostly indifferent to klipsch but understand why you would be reticent to recommend. FWIW, IMO the RP series can make a decent HT. BUT! I would NOT use their Subs and definitely not use speakers with bouncy modules built in to the top. Those modules can be very difficult to get right and even more so when you can’t move them independently of the tower speaker. Not to mention varying ceiling heights and seating distances. I don’t know how they they think a fixed module is even remotely a good idea. If they have to be bouncy, I’d make sure they were independent.
Is 4.5k a super hard number?
5K tops. He is already spending a bunch to get the basement finished so may not want to go over that much now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis