Speaker Selector and surround sound

T

TedZ

Audiophyte
Just moved into a house wired for whole house audio. Wires come out in family room. I've learned that a speaker selector could be used for that. My question is if I can use my current stereo (Panasonic - SC-HT70), which is designed for surround sound. I think I can use the front L and R outputs to plug into the selector. If so, then I could still use the other surround speakers that aren't plugged into the selector, right? There are volume control knobs in each room with the built in ceiling speakers, so I would just have to turn those off, I guess, when watching a movie.

Does that sound right?

Also, do all volume control knobs have impedance protection or only some?

Thanks!!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Just moved into a house wired for whole house audio. Wires come out in family room. I've learned that a speaker selector could be used for that. My question is if I can use my current stereo (Panasonic - SC-HT70), which is designed for surround sound. I think I can use the front L and R outputs to plug into the selector. If so, then I could still use the other surround speakers that aren't plugged into the selector, right? There are volume control knobs in each room with the built in ceiling speakers, so I would just have to turn those off, I guess, when watching a movie.

Does that sound right?

Also, do all volume control knobs have impedance protection or only some?

Thanks!!
I don't believe there's an effective way to integrate that home theater system with your multiroom speakers.

How many rooms have these speakers? Are there just two speakers in each of these rooms?

T

TedZ

Audiophyte
There are two speakers on the deck, two in the office, two in a bedroom, and there are five in the family room that appear to be designed for surround sound (3 in wall, 2 in ceiling).

Right now I have the five family room speakers hooked up to the surround sound. My plan was to get a selector and then plug the front L and R speakers into that. When watching a movie, I'd just turn off the zones (or turn down the separate volume controls in each rooms).

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You need to get a multichannel receiver that has zone 2 preouts, and at minimum a 2 channel amplifier and impedance level switch to operate all these speakers optimally.

The current receiver you're using isn't much so much of a receiver as it is a home theater head unit. It has fixed crossover points and high level output for a passive subwoofer. It is very far from ideal.

The extent of the capacity you could use this is with only the 5 speakers in the family room and a passive subwoofer (or active subwoofer with high level inputs).

T

TedZ

Audiophyte
Would my plan work for less than optimal performance? We're really not going to use the speakers much for music. If the house wasn't pre-wired, I'd settle for the tiny mp3 speaker hooked up to my computer. Would my plan break anything?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Would my plan work for less than optimal performance?
Possibly, but I'd equate it to hanging a picture off a thumb tack

We're really not going to use the speakers much for music.
I assume you're abstaining from expenditure? I think at most I would only use the speakers in the family room for now. Possibly expand later if you can when expenditure is possible.

If the house wasn't pre-wired, I'd settle for the tiny mp3 speaker hooked up to my computer.
I understand your requirements are not high, it's just difficult for us to make recommendations in less than ideal situations.

Would my plan break anything?
If you were trying to wire all the speakers up from every room it's possible.

T

TedZ

Audiophyte
Thanks for your help!! I may experiment with a cheap selector and see what happens. I'll let you know.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis