Speaker Recommendations

G

gostillerz

Audiophyte
Hi everyone.

I was thinking about upgrading my speakers, until I realized I know nothing about speakers!

Right now I have a Marantz 5006 with a Polk PSW10 sub and 6 Insignia NS-B2111 bookshelves. I know Insignia is pretty bad, but they sound just okay and I got all of them for $90 when I worked there.

The last good speakers I've heard we're those Athena AS series ones maybe 7 years ago and loved them, but cant find them used close to me. I have a budget of around $500, and don't have a preference between towers or bookshelves. I see a lot of people recommending Energy Take Five or Micro.

The sub I have is adequate for now (I think), have the volume at maybe 50%. My use is well, pretty much everything. Movies, sports, Xbox, music which is mostly rock and metal.

Those Energy ones run about $300?, so I can afford more, but only if it'll make that much more of a difference.

What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance!

Spookyfoot

Spookyfoot

Audioholic Intern
Look into the Klipsch RF-42 II, very nice speaker. May stretch you to between $500-$600 but the value is there. I agree w/ Zieglj to keep a pair of the Insignia's as surrounds which will leave you more cash to put into the front speakers where it matters most.

I would definitely go for the floorstanders vs bookshelf to help hit the low end and take some of the responsibility off of the sub. If you like your Sabbath and Dream Theater with some punch like me you'll want the floorstanders!;)

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I have EMP E5Ti's tower speakers and they are very impressive for the $275.00 I paid for them.

EMP Tek E5Ti Tower Speakers

EMP is an internet direct company and offer an in home 30 day trial. They pay for return shipping if you're not happy with the speakers. I have been told that the E55Ti's are even better, but they're also $300.00 more.

Link to EMP bookshelf speakers;

EMP Tek Bookshelf and Compact Speakers

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

CDogg

CDogg

Junior Audioholic
I have these in my living room. IMO these are the best bang for the buck.

[URL="http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P252BG/Infinity-Primus-P252-Black-grille.html?tp=185[/URL]

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome to the forum.

How big is the room and can you place the speakers in correct locations for surround sound. I see that your receiver is 7.2 capable, but placing 5 or 7 speakers in an inappropriate manner will create issues and hamper your journey to good sound.

Also, are you more inclined towards movies or music? If movies, then surround makes sense, if music, then it would be preferable to have high quality main speakers since most rock and metal is available only as a stereo mix.

Unless your listening space is relatively small, 10'x10', a good surround speaker set in that budget will be a matter of making the right compromises. IMHO, get a good set of floorstanding speakers for $500 and over time add a center, second sub (optional), surround and finally rear speakers.

I have some speaker recommendations, but, I'll hold onto those for now :).

G

gostillerz

Audiophyte
Agar,

The room is L shaped, the listening area is about 12x9. The fronts and centers are placed pretty good, the surrounds are maybe 1ft behind me. It's set up as 6.1 now, but I don't think I'll need 7.1 considering how small the room is. I'd rate my usage as 40% movies/tv, 30% Xbox, 30% music.

The Boston Acoustics that ziegl recommended seem good and priced right, but God are they ugly! White speakers? Those EMP's look very nice, but after seeing the bigger towers they have, I might have to Craigslist some stuff. I can never stick to a budget!!

I'm kind leaning towards towers and keeping the Insignia's as surrounds for the time being and getting better mains like others' suggested.Do speaker models change often? I'm worried about getting good towers and not being able to find matching surrounds down the road. Using one of the Insignia's as a center with good towers isn't a good idea right?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I have spent some time with the Insignia speakers - for me, they
are a poor option for center channel use.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Using one of the Insignia's as a center with good towers isn't a good idea right?
Even if it were a good speaker, I would recommend against it. I have tried using a non-matching center before and found the results to be poor and....really weird. When you're watching a movie and something crosses the front soundstage having it change in character from left to center to right is very unpleasant. Furthermore keep in mind that for movie use a large portion of the sound comes out of the center speaker, so if you spend all of this money on really good mains, you'll be giving a lot of that up to your poor center.

If budget is a very large concern [as it is for me] I find that if your mains have very good imaging you don't even miss the center toooooo much.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I think non matching center really depends on what you get. Sometimes it can work, sometimes not. Phantom centers can work, but I'm not sure I would try it without a bit more invested in my fronts.

Polk tsi200

Polk rti A3/1

Not terrible options for the price. Nice little speakers.

How interested in you in doing a little DIY? Great options for cheap there.

BOOKSHELF / SATELLITE SPEAKERS from Parts Express ship same day and come with 45 day money back guarantee. Free Shipping Available. Order free 10,000 product catalog.

Speaker Kits - Build Your Own Speakers With These Easy To Assemble Speaker Kits From Parts Express

The first link is for pre-assembled speakers and the second is for DIY. The DIY speakers range from simple (just screwing a few things together usually an hour or less devoted to actual DIY) while some of them are a bit more involved. Lots of good suggestions above, a few more options here.

GO NUTS :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the Primus speaker set is a good deal, but, ...shame on you, recommending an 8" sub :D.
Well, now, it's not always about the size. :eek: :D

The 12" BIC sub most likely has better output, but the little Infinity just might be tighter.:D

P

pureiso

Junior Audioholic
Hi everyone.

I was thinking about upgrading my speakers, until I realized I know nothing about speakers!

Right now I have a Marantz 5006 with a Polk PSW10 sub and 6 Insignia NS-B2111 bookshelves. I know Insignia is pretty bad, but they sound just okay and I got all of them for $90 when I worked there.

The last good speakers I've heard we're those Athena AS series ones maybe 7 years ago and loved them, but cant find them used close to me. I have a budget of around $500, and don't have a preference between towers or bookshelves. I see a lot of people recommending Energy Take Five or Micro.

The sub I have is adequate for now (I think), have the volume at maybe 50%. My use is well, pretty much everything. Movies, sports, Xbox, music which is mostly rock and metal.

Those Energy ones run about $300?, so I can afford more, but only if it'll make that much more of a difference.

What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance!

To be honest, those speakers you have are pretty good with some work. I sold my pair last night and it makes me a bit sad.

Look up GR Research and find the Insignia upgrade, it will kind of give you an idea of what you have on your hands right now...

As for staying in your budget, if you are a DIY kind of person I found some amazing deals that would easily keep you under budget.

P

pureiso

Junior Audioholic
Here is a few more to add:

Hsu HB1-MK2s
Behringer B2030P
BIC FH-65B
My personal pick: Pioneer SP-BS41-LR

Or used. Also, if you are looking for used speakers, the AV123 X Series stuff is fantastic. AV123 is now closed but I have seen their speakers pop up every now and again.

G

gostillerz

Audiophyte
Craigslist has a pair of Energy RC 50, in Connellsville, PA, for $550. I'd bet you'll get them for $450.

He said he'd take $450. Good deal? Specs wise, they look better than anything else I'd be able to afford.

I figured get those, find a center channel and save up for surrounds and a better sub later.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
He said he'd take $450. Good deal? Specs wise, they look better than anything else I'd be able to afford.
Push for $400 :). That would put them in the sweet deal range. Here is a thread where they talked about the speaker in context of sound quality. You will need to listen to them and compare with others to know if they are keepers. No way around it, anything else is just someone else's opinion.

I figured get those, find a center channel and save up for surrounds and a better sub later.
That sounds like a good plan, except, I suggest you change the order to, sub, center and finally, surrounds.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis