Speaker Recommendations

G

gostillerz

Audiophyte
I ended up getting the RC-50's, and an RC-LCR will be here Monday. I'm having problems configuring the receiver. I hooked them up for 2 channel at first, and there is no bass and weak mids. I made sure they were set to large, sub off and still nothing. Even tried bi-amping for some reason. When I hook them up to my Marantz 2270 they sound amazing, so I have to be doing something wrong with the 5006. :confused:

A

ams511

Audiophyte
I ended up getting the RC-50's, and an RC-LCR will be here Monday. I'm having problems configuring the receiver. I hooked them up for 2 channel at first, and there is no bass and weak mids. I made sure they were set to large, sub off and still nothing. Even tried bi-amping for some reason. When I hook them up to my Marantz 2270 they sound amazing, so I have to be doing something wrong with the 5006. :confused:
I am no expert and please don't take this the wrong way but you may want to read the manual for your 5006. My first instinct would be that your receiver is set to 5.1 not 2.0. So dialog and bass is being sent to speakers that do not exist. The fact the speakers sound amazing with the other amp makes me think it is not a speaker problem but a setting problem on the receiver. My old Yamaha sounds so much better when I actually read the manual and followed the instructions.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
Hi everyone.

I was thinking about upgrading my speakers, until I realized I know nothing about speakers!

Right now I have a Marantz 5006 with a Polk PSW10 sub and 6 Insignia NS-B2111 bookshelves. I know Insignia is pretty bad, but they sound just okay and I got all of them for $90 when I worked there.

The last good speakers I've heard we're those Athena AS series ones maybe 7 years ago and loved them, but cant find them used close to me. I have a budget of around $500, and don't have a preference between towers or bookshelves. I see a lot of people recommending Energy Take Five or Micro.

The sub I have is adequate for now (I think), have the volume at maybe 50%. My use is well, pretty much everything. Movies, sports, Xbox, music which is mostly rock and metal.

Those Energy ones run about $300?, so I can afford more, but only if it'll make that much more of a difference.

What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance!
I would recommend the value Pioneers designed by former Kef designer and current TAD designer Andrew Jones! Very neutral, transparent sound that bests offerings twice their price! The bookshelf is SP-BS21, about $99 a pair, the towers are SP-FS51, at $205 a pair, and the massive SP-C21 center.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis