Speaker Frequency Question

H

hhudson26

Audiophyte
I've got a question about something I just noticed and maybe someone can enlighten me. I've slowly (over the last five years) accumulated the following speakers - Bookshelf - Infinity RS3, Subwoofer - Infinity BU-1, In-Wall - Infinity ERS-210, Center Channel - Infinity IL-25C. I bought the bookshelf speakers and sub at the same time. I now need another sub (the amplifier is bad) and upon looking for another sub noticed the following. The frequency response on the RS3 is 40Hz to 20Khz, and the frequency response on the BU-1 is 45 to 150Hz. The drivers on the RS3 are 6 1/2" while the sub is 8". How is it that the RS3's have a lower capability than the sub? Now, I'm thinking that I need to look for a sub with capability below 40Hz. Any thoughts? I'm currenlty looking at Velodyne subs.

Thanks for any input,
hhudson

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
In my humble opinion, any speaker that can't go below 45 hz has no right co label itself a subwoofer. Many stand-alone speakers can easily meet that sub's bass extention. Athena AS-F1's can top (or bottom, actually) that.

Actually, I'd call that item a "common bass module" as opposed to a subwoofer. This is whatyou would find in 2.1 computer speakers and such. I'd say Bose am series also but I don't want to go there.

If I read your post correctly, this is an in wall unit. Such being the case, I would say that mounting a sub in wall is a losing proposition. You're paying a LOT for the ability to mount it in the wall.

I'd recommend you look at the stand alone subs out there. You'll get better bass extention at (probably) a better price.

But, to answer your question, a sub exists to extend the lower limit of your main speakers. Get one thet goes significantly lower than the lower limit of your mains.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Heck, get one that will go lower than your hearing! You may not be able to hear below 20hz, but you can darn sure feel it! :eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis