Speaker distance from side wall?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Keep in mind gents this discussion all changes when you start talking electrostatics........

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Place a sleeping bag on the floor and have someone slide it away while you’re listening. You can see if there’s any difference.

That said, it’s nearly always a good idea to have a throw rug of low to moderate plushness on top of hard woods.

Go to ikea and take a pick.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You're kidding right ?
If he is, I'm not!
Why?

Understand, I'm not challenging or arguing with you I'm just trying to understand how electrostatics would be different in this context.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
You understand that electrostats are vibrating air molecules, too, right?
Electrostatics / di-poles are first and foremost a line source speaker, rooms and their boundary requirements / set up differ greatly, Side wall and ceiling distances are a completely different set of parameters than what one would have with 'cone' speakers.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Electrostatics / di-poles are first and foremost a line source speaker, rooms and their boundary requirements / set up differ greatly, Side wall and ceiling distances are a completely different set of parameters than what one would have with 'cone' speakers.
So what you're saying is that the positioning, acoustic absorption and or diffusion for one speaker would need to be applied differently compared to other speakers?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
So what you're saying is that the positioning, acoustic absorption and or diffusion for one speaker would need to be applied differently compared to other speakers?

yes, most definitely, remember a di-pole radiates as much to it's rear as it does forward thus the need for them to be further out into ones room (4-6' is preferred) and when treating the wall behind them the general rule is when the ideal distance is able to be met then diffusion is the order of the day and if you have to place them closer then absorption is usually added to the mix as well. It really comes down to timing and reflection of the 'rear wave'.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Place a sleeping bag on the floor and have someone slide it away while you’re listening. You can see if there’s any difference.

That said, it’s nearly always a good idea to have a throw rug of low to moderate plushness on top of hard woods.

Go to ikea and take a pick.
Sleeping bag, I camp in a RV :p

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I think I have figured out the imaging problem is caused by the rear reflections from the room. Slumping down on my sofa, to the point where my rear of the room was blocked by the sofa backing, I immediately heard an improvement in the focus of the center stage.

Problem is, I have no idea how I’d treat the back room. I will upload a photo that show why I say that momentarily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai

This is the back “wall” of my room. I’m about 7’8” from it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nice “pro” drawing. It’s worth noting that the change in sound when you slumped down into the couch could very likely be attributed to reflections off the couch. My leather couch does this, and usually I’ll lay a heavy blanket cross the back to run Audyssey and for critical listening. You might try the blanket on the couch before the back of the room which looks like it might diffuse naturally more than anything.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Nice “pro” drawing. It’s worth noting that the change in sound when you slumped down into the couch could very likely be attributed to reflections off the couch. My leather couch does this, and usually I’ll lay a heavy blanket cross the back to run Audyssey and for critical listening. You might try the blanket on the couch before the back of the room which looks like it might diffuse naturally more than anything.
The couch is soft fabric, and is non reflective.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis