R

Ras777

Audioholic
I have been doing a lot of reading on speaker dispersion in regards to in-ceiling Atmos speakers. One of the most salient takeaways was the importance of having all your speakers being timbre matched. Since all my speakers are Aperions I am looking at the Intimus L6-IC. They show a Dispersion angle of +/- 30 degrees w/gradual roll off from 15kHz. They also incorporate aimable silk dome tweeters. Are these a good choice for Atmos or would I be better off looking at something different? If I use a different speaker company how do I make sure they are timbre matched? Thanks for your input.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Would need to know more about the room and the intended placement to offer an opinion on them being a 'good choice'.

Timbre matching is most crucial with high frequencies. Dispersion, Directivity Index, even the baffle shape and diaphragm material, influence a speaker's timbre. This is also most crucial with L,C,R main loudspeakers, and is far less noticeable with surrounds.

If these are all soft dome tweeters, for example, then I would say you can safely assume they will blend well together.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
I have been doing a lot of reading on speaker dispersion in regards to in-ceiling Atmos speakers. One of the most salient takeaways was the importance of having all your speakers being timbre matched. Since all my speakers are Aperions I am looking at the Intimus L6-IC. They show a Dispersion angle of +/- 30 degrees w/gradual roll off from 15kHz. They also incorporate aimable silk dome tweeters. Are these a good choice for Atmos or would I be better off looking at something different? If I use a different speaker company how do I make sure they are timbre matched? Thanks for your input.
As far timbre match, don't fall down the rabbit hole too much here. If you're going with a different brand, try and maintain the same 'type' of speaker, like don't match up a ribbon tweeter to dome.

Ceiling speakers are made with fairly wide dispersion characteristics in mind. These look good, I wouldn't worry.

You shouldn't need to, want to aim the tweeter, but there's no fault in trying either way.

The most important part is installing them within the proper area per Atmos recommendations. Too many have installed their atmos speakers too far away from specs.

R

Ras777

Audioholic
Thank you for your replies. I have a dedicated HT room with one row of seating, dimensions 21x 18.5x8. My intentions are to set the room up per the Dolby Atmos white paper that was published July 2017 for a 7.2.4. The only caveat to that is I plan on putting my surrounds 12 in above ear level to keep the speakers from being obstructed.
Equipment
Considering-Denon AVR X6400H
Emotiva XPA -3
OPPO BlueRay player
Aperion Grand Towers and Center
Aperion Forte Surrounds
Two HSU subs

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am sure those speakers will not be bad for your plans. They won't be exactly timbre matched, but they should still do fine, and as long as they are competently designed, you won't notice the difference.

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
I have the same question for Polk 700-LS if anyone has any knowledge or direct experience. I plan to use them for the .4 in 5.1.4. All other speakers are LSiM so timbre matched. I'm going to put them right where Dolby says to put them, but I am wondering about the dispersion angle. The tweeters are not aimable. I haven't been able to find any data. Sorry to OP if I'm imposing. I don't mean to steal the thread. Just seems like a better place to mention it than a new one. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have the same question for Polk 700-LS if anyone has any knowledge or direct experience. I plan to use them for the .4 in 5.1.4. All other speakers are LSiM so timbre matched. I'm going to put them right where Dolby says to put them, but I am wondering about the dispersion angle. The tweeters are not aimable. I haven't been able to find any data. Sorry to OP if I'm imposing. I don't mean to steal the thread. Just seems like a better place to mention it than a new one. :)
I am sure that will work just fine.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Dolby specifies a dispersion of 90 degrees up to 10khz. It’s really difficult to know what the dispersion looks like in consumer speakers or where that dispersion rolls off without actually measuring them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

Ras777

Audioholic
ShadyJ what is it about those speakers that make you feel they won't be timbre matched? Aperion claims they were made to match all their other speakers. Thanks in advance.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
ShadyJ what is it about those speakers that make you feel they won't be timbre matched? Aperion claims they were made to match all their other speakers. Thanks in advance.
I’m of the opinion that overhead speakers should really be from the same line of speakers, and I’m partial to “real” speakers being used, ie bookshelf speakers mounted to the ceiling vs in ceiling speakers. No timbre match issues there, and no dynamically squeezed ceiling speakers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
To be truly matching the speakers would have to have the same frequency response and same dispersion pattern. Given how different these designs are, they probably aren't able to achieve that perfectly, but I am sure it is good enough for your purposes.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Timbre match is really sorta blown out of proportion here. As a rule of thumb I'd get LRC from the same manufacture. Maybe for surrounds, but for rears, and atmos, as long as you're not doing anything dumb, you'll be fine.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Timbre match is really sorta blown out of proportion here. As a rule of thumb I'd get LRC from the same manufacture. Maybe for surrounds, but for rears, and atmos, as long as you're not doing anything dumb, you'll be fine.
I’d have to disagree. I initially used Polk OWM3s as overheads and the timbre mismatch was very distracting, as the overhead speakers are often an “expansion” of the soundstage, not just discrete single objects. Many mixes in atmos and dts x have even had the orchestra score push up into the heights as well.

I suppose it varies from person to person, but I know it really sticks out to me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis