Speaker crossover/AVR settings etc

C

ciotime

Junior Audioholic
I'm about to get new tower speakers coming from big bookshelves'. Couple of questions re the setup.
1) I've read even if having towers it's still best to designate the mains as small
2) Usually it's advised to set the AVR's crossover to 80HZ to send the lower frequencies to the subs. Doesn't this kind of take the usefulness of capable mains that can play the bottom end?
3) New speakers have a break-in period. If one set's the crossover to 80HZ or even 60HZ does this mean the new speaker's aren't properly broken in coz they're not playing full range?
4) Should the AVR be set to LFE+Main or just LFE?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes with my towers they're still set to small as my subwoofage is more capable.

80hz is a good starting point, but it's a crossover between speaker and sub, where the low pass filter for the sub and the high pass filter for the speaker "crosses over". Don't know about your subs, but mine are far more capable in the bass regions than even my relatively capable towers. I cross higher than 80 generally, tho.

New speaker break in is mostly about you breaking in, good stuff comes as broken in as you need to worry about. Play something for a few minutes if worried. Not a real big concern no matter what.

LFE would be the cleaner use, as LFE+Main creates more overlap in the lower bass area. More preference in the long run, personally I prefer not to use LFE+Main.

Experiment a bit, in the end its what you like. Many like a little extra bottom end.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
3) New speakers have a break-in period.
So you're saying that the speakers change their Sound Signature w/ Breakin?
You're saying that the original sound that the Speaker Designers wanted you to hear changes with Breakin?

tenor-3.gif

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Senior Audioholic
. . .

LFE would be the cleaner use, as LFE+Main creates more overlap in the lower bass area. More preference in the long run, personally I prefer not to use LFE+Main.

Experiment a bit, in the end its what you like. Many like a little extra bottom end.
Lovin,
It may be different amoung makers, but at least for Denon AVRs, if Mains/any other Towers are set to Small, then aren't LFE and LFE+Main equivalent?
Please see excerpt from X4500H manual below, even though their language leaves a lot of room for improvement.

LFE (Default):
The low range signal of the channel set to “Small” speaker size is added to the LFE signal output from the subwoofer.

LFE+Main:
The low range signal of all channels is added to the LFE signal output from the subwoofer.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

C

ciotime

Junior Audioholic
Yes with my towers they're still set to small as my subwoofage is more capable.

80hz is a good starting point, but it's a crossover between speaker and sub, where the low pass filter for the sub and the high pass filter for the speaker "crosses over". Don't know about your subs, but mine are far more capable in the bass regions than even my relatively capable towers. I cross higher than 80 generally, tho.

New speaker break in is mostly about you breaking in, good stuff comes as broken in as you need to worry about. Play something for a few minutes if worried. Not a real big concern no matter what.

Thanks...I'm using dual SVS PB1000.

C

ciotime

Junior Audioholic
C

ciotime

Junior Audioholic
You can believe what you want to believe.
Just like cables change the sound of your speakers
Not saying I believe the break-in thing but Klipsch themselves are saying one should. If it isn't true then I guess we shouldn't believe everything they say about their speakers right?
Anyway this part isn't really that important. Just thought I'd put it out there.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
A lot of speakers have dual binding posts for Bi-Amping and Bi-Wiring.
Just because they put them on there do you really think they work just because they print it do you really believe it's true

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Not saying I believe the break-in thing but Klipsch themselves are saying one should. If it isn't true then I guess we shouldn't believe everything they say about their speakers right?
Anyway this part isn't really that important. Just thought I'd put it out there.
Klipsch is not immune to audio nonsense. Just read their brochures for their heritage series for proof of that. The reality is that some short term use will lower the resonant frequency of the bass drivers, and you could call that break-in. It doesn't take very long to do. The myth is that it somehow changes the sound for the better. Break-in as it is understood by audiophiles is largely a matter of their own imagination.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis