K

khiyal

Audiophyte
I need to replace my speaker cables. Just wanted to get an idea from the more learned folks here if 16 or 18 AWG cable will be OK. I will be connecting my JBL SCS160SI (100W, 8 ohm load / 150W sub) 5.1 to my Yamaha rx-v2400. The max cable run will be 30 ft.

Also, is there a way to add a minute delay to the rear speakers on the Yamaha rx-v2400?

Thanks.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I need to replace my speaker cables. Just wanted to get an idea from the more learned folks here if 16 or 18 AWG cable will be OK. I will be connecting my JBL SCS160SI (100W, 8 ohm load / 150W sub) 5.1 to my Yamaha rx-v2400. The max cable run will be 30 ft.

Also, is there a way to add a minute delay to the rear speakers on the Yamaha rx-v2400?

Thanks.
Read the existing threads about cabling-it may be faster.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Long answer 1:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable
Long answer 2:
http://www.audioholics.com/education/frequently-asked-questions/speaker-cable-gauge-distance

My answer: 14gauge is cheap and will definitely work. Just get a spool of 14gauge and be done with it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Thanks.
Delay is part of the speaker setup with the internal test signals and inputting the distances each speakers are from the listening position.

K

khiyal

Audiophyte
Delay is part of the speaker setup with the internal test signals and inputting the distances each speakers are from the listening position.
But that part is automated in this receiver. Is there a manual way to set the delay or just add a few more feet than actual and that will automatically set the delay?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

But that part is automated in this receiver. Is there a manual way to set the delay or just add a few more feet than actual and that will automatically set the delay?
Well, it is automated if you run an auto setup with a mic connected to the receiver. Hopefully this setup will get the distances correctly. One way is to measure the distances with a tape and compare the measurements to the auto distances for each speaker.
Yes, if some distance is off, manually set it in for that speaker. I would not add more than the actual distance is.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General

Out of curiousity...why? An accurate distance would seem to be the goal, no? Am I missing something?

(Also, adding (fake) distance wouldn't introduce a delay; subtracting distance would.)

highfigh

highfigh

Out of curiousity...why? An accurate distance would seem to be the goal, no? Am I missing something?

(Also, adding (fake) distance wouldn't introduce a delay; subtracting distance would.)
If you want to delay the sound from the rear speakers, an accurate setting is the last thing you want. That will only cause the receiver to equalize for that distance. How much delay do you want? Even if you had a room that allowed placing the rears 10' farther back than they are now will delay the arrival by less than 10mS.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I doubt the receiver will accomidate a minute (which is something like 10 miles of sound travel); but you should be able, as mentioned, to add ms delays.

highfigh

highfigh

I doubt the receiver will accomidate a minute (which is something like 10 miles of sound travel); but you should be able, as mentioned, to add ms delays.
Minute- from Dictionary.com
Adjective- pronounciation [mahy-noot]

1. extremely small, as in size, amount, extent, or degree: minute differences.
2. of minor importance; insignificant; trifling.
3. attentive to or concerned with even the smallest details: a minute examination.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
t you should be able, as mentioned, to add ms delays.
To which I again ask...why? This conversation keeps going forward as if adding a delay to your surrounds is a perfectly logical thing to do.

What's the motivation for doing this, exactly?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

Thanks.
Doesn't that receiver have DSP processing modes? That's where delay gets added / changed.
Check your manual: Digital Sound Field Processing

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
To which I again ask...why? This conversation keeps going forward as if adding a delay to your surrounds is a perfectly logical thing to do.

What's the motivation for doing this, exactly?
Good question; here is when I've used it.

I have another setup in a spare room upstairs.
Last weekend we had Roger Waters the Wall live in Berlin on; It's a huge outdoor concert.
I have a Yamaha RX-V1 that has dozens of DSP settings.
Changing it to 'Stadium' or 'Arena' adds some delay and really gives a sense of being there.

I don't know what the OP intends; that's just my 2 cents and how I've used it.:)

K

khiyal

Audiophyte
It is the [mahy-noot] that I intended. The reason is to create a tiny echo which sounds good for some solo music. I will check the manual to see if I can do any little change.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis