South Florida Blackout!!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I hope this happened at night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Turn lemon into lemonade.......it sounds like a great opportunity to take a telescope outside void of light pollution.
Nope, at the worst possible time(1:30 +/-), right before Miami rush hour that usually starts at 2:00 pm and ends at 8:00 pm, and ain't kidding neither!

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
The paper had total effected at 4 million with 700,000 customers out at the peak. Also indicated it took 5 hours to restore power fully. Front page news right above State Farm's announcement that our money wasn't good enough except for car insurance. Glad I'm with the Gecko. So outrageous Even a caveman would be ticked.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
The paper had total effected at 4 million with 700,000 customers out at the peak. Also indicated it took 5 hours to restore power fully. Front page news right above State Farm's announcement that our money wasn't good enough except for car insurance. Glad I'm with the Gecko. So outrageous Even a caveman would be ticked.
LOL!!! Damn gecko, I hate his guts.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
We were fine. I think the hidden gem in this is that a nuclear power plant reacted to a safety concern and shut down. So often people decry them as being bad, and here is a nice example of one working as advertised. The grid may have issues, but nuclear continues to be fairly safe.

Similar thing happened in 3 mile island - an example of a huge successful shut down (albeit permanent)... No injuries, no deaths - even in the surrounding area... but the media didn't find that as interesting as reporting it as a disaster.

20+ years later we're dependent on Middle East oil and we wonder why...
You're partially correct. It depends on who is evaluating the circumstances. For anyone involved in the nuclear power industry to any degree (such as myself), what happened at 3 Mile was a not too friendly reminder of the inherent safeguards that must be implemented with any operating nuclear reactor and the fact that a combination of human error and faulty equipment can lead us perilously close to disaster - which is precisely what occurred there. I've been trained extensively on the conditions and circumstances surrounding both the Three Mile Island incident, and of course the big one - Chernobyl. The entire industry has taken many lessons from both events and have applied them to existing operations.

Of course the media will always sensationalize any event that occurs with a nuclear facility, that much we can count on. However the incident at Three Mile was far from just a normal emergency shutdown. It was an unfortunate series of events that ultimately led to a partial meltdown of the core within TMI-2, which is classified by NRC standards as a nuclear accident. Aforementioned safeguard systems failed to operate correctly, and the event was compounded by subsequent faulty indications and therefore incorrect actions taken by plant operators who believed what they were reading. To make a long story short, all combined, the chain of events led to overheating and subsequent over-pressurization of the primary (reactor) cooling system (which also transports heat to a secondary system for steam generation, which is what spins the turbines to produce electricity), and loss of said cooling water flow led to the reactor's inability to avoid a condition called Critical Heat Flux, which is an implicit thermal limit inherent in all reactor designs. Basically water flashed to steam and led to further complications to plant operators trying desperately to determine reactor water levels.

By the way, in the nuclear world, on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the worst case scenario (a full on Chernobyl event), this ranks as an 8.5 to 9.

My point here is not to sway anyone away from nuclear power, in fact like you Clint believe strongly in the need for future nuke expansion within our power infrastructure to meet increasing demand. But, it is important to fully understand the events that have preceded us in the past as a way to avoid them in the future, and an educated public IMO, is a trusting public. Nuclear power scares the bejeesus out of some people, but it still remains one of the safest, most reliable sources of energy that exists on this planet. You can not begin to conceive the safeguards systems, redundancy, and backup safety systems that are built into these plants - and the incredible amount of training and certifications a plant operator must go through before he is handed the controls, and then they must go through lengthy recertification processes periodically and continuous training to ensure they are kept sharp as a tack when sitting at the panels.

Chernobyl happened because plant operators bypassed these safety features and exercised a testing protocol that was designed to take the reactor outside of its normal operating limits - typical Soviet bravado that ultimately ended in catastrophe.

Three Mile Island happened because of a ridiculous chain of events that all happened to take place at once, and for the grace of god and the actions of the aforementioned highly trained operators - this could have easily been the American version of Chernobyl - yet under the craziest of circumstances it was not.

If anyone would like any further information, please feel free to PM me. ;)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I don't have a problem with nukes, they're great under the circumstances you stated, but alas the press won't let it be, neither will Hollywood, Ed Begley, Jr, Lenny Di Caprio and a host of guilt ridden* "voices of society" that always manage to paint something good and worthwhile into dangerous and unacceptable under any condition.

*guilt ridden, for they understand that the money they get paid for what they do is ridiculous, they provide nothing for the betterment of society, on the contrary their passionate hate for the rational has given birth to morbid fear and hate of nuclear power. They offer no solution only meaningless criticism to assuage their guilty conscience.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Right now we're in the midst of a new surge in new nuclear plant applications, within the upcoming decade I expect to see construction on a scale that has not been see since the 70's. This is in spite of the outcry you speak of Strat - while it is still prevalent, there are many who have come around to the idea, even many of the "Green Earth" type people.

Nevertheless, what we face is the whole "Not in my backyard" concept - which relegates new constructions to take place on already existing facilities, thereby boosting total plant capacity, but not necessarily adding new sources to the grid from other locations that desperately need it. It's as if people have begun to accept it, but choose to not want to know about it.

Interestingly enough - right about the time of the Three Mile incident, the movie "The China Syndrome" had just come out, which only helped to fuel the public's alarm over the use of nuke power. Combined with the actual event itself, and everyone's favorite American TRAITOR, Jane Fonda, who went on the warpath denouncing nuclear power after starring in the movie, which eerily depicted events that were similar in nature to what happened at TMI-2.

How's that for ironic? ;)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Right now we're in the midst of a new surge in new nuclear plant applications, within the upcoming decade I expect to see construction on a scale that has not been see since the 70's. This is in spite of the outcry you speak of Strat - while it is still prevalent, there are many who have come around to the idea, even many of the "Green Earth" type people.

Nevertheless, what we face is the whole "Not in my backyard" concept - which relegates new constructions to take place on already existing facilities, thereby boosting total plant capacity, but not necessarily adding new sources to the grid from other locations that desperately need it. It's as if people have begun to accept it, but choose to not want to know about it.

Interestingly enough - right about the time of the Three Mile incident, the movie "The China Syndrome" had just come out, which only helped to fuel the publics alarm over the use of nuke power. Combined with the actual event itself, and everyone's favorite American TRAITOR, Jane Fonda, who went on the warpath denouncing nuclear power after starring in the movie, which eerily depicted events that were similar in nature to what happened at TMI-2.

How's that for ironic? ;)

I remember that as if it was yesterday, then all the broadcasters started in with the nuke "investigative" reports and docu-dramas, they had the country hiding in it's backyard bomb shelter, there wasn't such a nuclear scare since the Cuban Missile Crisis of '62. I remember it so clearly, Janie riding the wave of hysteria. BTW, she got booted out of Dadeland by some wild-eyed anti-commie Cubans, when she came to Burdines to pimp her perfume or some other nonsense, I thought it was hilarious, the Cuban press was having a field day with her, I remember some businesses actually closed and people took off from work to protest Hanoi J and Burdines.

I got one word for the people deciding on where to put the nuclear waste: Nevada.

Screw Nevadans - go find another place to live - it's a freakin' desert! :)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Half of it is radioactive anyway, the other half.......:rolleyes: So what's a few more mutants? For pete's sake Vegas is full of them.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Half of it is radioactive anyway, the other half.......:rolleyes: So what's a few more mutants? For pete's sake Vegas is full of them.
Lest we forget my own personal favorite example of the public's misconception regarding radioactive waste....:D

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis