South Florida Blackout!!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
How many of you guys were affected today? My wife was stuck in downtown in the 30th floor of her office building! There were reports of a pregnant woman also stuck. The traffic in Miami went haywire, worse than usual, good ol' FPL, they still have the guts to ask for billions and yet refuse to shore up our antiquated grid.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
No problems in central Florida. Cave must have been awful dark. At least it was not in the summer heat.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I was out of the office when it happened, we were out power for an hour. It was a sci-fi movie, suddenly all of Miami goes dead. No traffic lights, nothing. It was eerie, I heard it (blackout) went as far south as Key West and north to Daytona. I heard that on the radio so take it for what it's worth.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
Boy you guys shoulda been around for the huge east coast blackout in 2003, multiple states had no power up to three days! I had to get gas on the Ohio TurnPike as they had the only power in the northern half of the state due to a seperate power grid feeding them. No riots or theft, everyone took it in stride, I remember the news thinking it was an attack for the first couple hours.......it was a wild few days!

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I was working out in the field at a small co-generation plant yesterday in Polk county when the first of the rolling blackouts began to occur. I had a small team with me; we went out to run tests on a 13.8KV generator and ended up scrapping more test results than we kept due to the fact that our test equipment kept losing power. Aside from the minor headache there, no problems, but this was all the way up in Central Florida.

We got back to the office and made a few calls, as we work extensively with FP&L, but were unable to find out anything more than they released to the news media. Turkey Point power plant was the ultimate hub of the widespread outage - a fault in the distribution system downstream (substation) overloaded one of the 2 nuke reactors on site, and when it shut down it caused a cascading effect, as other units were subsequently overloaded based on shifting electrical demand from the downed units. The other three units (of 5) are standard coal burning units. Sometimes the operators and load dispatchers are able to switch loading fast enough to prevent this scenario, but this apparently happened very quickly.

The power infrastructure is in dire need of an overhaul everywhere Strat, not just in South Florida - many of the transmission lines and substation equipment, transformers and relays are significantly past their expected lifespan for use, but it takes $$$ and manpower to be able to address the issue (not defending FPL mind you), and when you can envision how many power lines, and substations there are in just the south Florida area - everywhere you look - you can understand the challenge involved in upgrading the infrastructure. It will take time, and it's already been happening for years now. ;)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I don't know how it is in the rest of the nation, but South Floridians have a hateful relationship with FPL, we've been trying for years to get another company to provide power and break the monopoly, but FPL is too strong and has Tallahassee in it's pocket.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Yep, well - remember I made a point to not defend them; FPL is huge, they have reach far beyond the state of Florida as well - we're involved with them on a number of wind farm projects as far away as California. Unfortunately it's not likely another company will enter the picture to break up their stronghold any time soon to those living in South Florida. :(

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
I don't know how it is in the rest of the nation, but South Floridians have a hateful relationship with FPL, we've been trying for years to get another company to provide power and break the monopoly, but FPL is too strong and has Tallahassee in it's pocket.
FPL has taken note of your comments and will remember them this August.:D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
That's ll I need................between Ikea and FPL I'm about to blow a gasket!:p:D

majorloser

majorloser

No problems in central Florida. Cave must have been awful dark. At least it was not in the summer heat.
Actually there was problems all over the state, including in our area. It affected every power company in the state, not just FPL. I didn't lose power at home or work, but many areas in town were without power.

From my FPL rep I heard the problem was a fire at a substation. And of course, this is the time of year when most of the smaller plants are doing annual maintenance work.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Actually there was problems all over the state, including in our area. It affected every power company in the state, not just FPL. I didn't lose power at home or work, but many areas in town were without power.

From my FPL rep I heard the problem was a fire at a substation. And of course, this is the time of year when most of the smaller plants are doing annual maintenance work.
Crap! That means you didn't donned your Dearth Vader outfit in the dark and chase Loserwife all over the house, with lightsaber blazing, screaming at the top of your lungs: "come back Leia, I'm not your father! Put back on that gold bikini!!!" While the neighbors stood outside, slacked-jawed, waiting for the cops to arrive?

We were fine. I think the hidden gem in this is that a nuclear power plant reacted to a safety concern and shut down. So often people decry them as being bad, and here is a nice example of one working as advertised. The grid may have issues, but nuclear continues to be fairly safe.

Similar thing happened in 3 mile island - an example of a huge successful shut down (albeit permanent)... No injuries, no deaths - even in the surrounding area... but the media didn't find that as interesting as reporting it as a disaster.

20+ years later we're dependent on Middle East oil and we wonder why...

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Crap! That means you didn't donned your Dearth Vader outfit in the dark and chase Loserwife all over the house, with lightsaber blazing, screaming at the top of your lungs: "come back Leia, I'm not your father! Put back on that gold bikini!!!" While the neighbors stood outside, slacked-jawed, waiting for the cops to arrive?

I've done that...only with a glow in the dark condom!:D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
We were fine. I think the hidden gem in this is that a nuclear power plant reacted to a safety concern and shut down. So often people decry them as being bad, and here is a nice example of one working as advertised. The grid may have issues, but nuclear continues to be fairly safe.

Similar thing happened in 3 mile island - an example of a huge successful shut down (albeit permanent)... No injuries, no deaths - even in the surrounding area... but the media didn't find that as interesting as reporting it as a disaster.

20+ years later we're dependent on Middle East oil and we wonder why...
Ironically the same people that hate oil hate nuclear power. The safest, cleanest source there is. Friggin' tree huggers, want to live in caves, but threaten to turn off their I pods, cappuccino makers, Starbucks and you'll have a full blown war in your hands.:rolleyes:

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Sorry about the blackouts; I dropped a potato in the coolant for the reactor :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
How many of you guys were affected today? My wife was stuck in downtown in the 30th floor of her office building! There were reports of a pregnant woman also stuck. The traffic in Miami went haywire, worse than usual, good ol' FPL, they still have the guts to ask for billions and yet refuse to shore up our antiquated grid.
Crap I think I caused this yesterday when I was doing my power measurements of the Yamaha RX-Z11. :D

Luckily I have completed all of my measurements so we should be good now.

majorloser

majorloser

Crap I think I caused this yesterday when I was doing my power measurements of the Yamaha RX-Z11. :D

Luckily I have completed all of my measurements so we should be good now.
Think about it..... a nuclear powered receiver :rolleyes:

Gigawatts of power per channel (all channels driven of course).

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
I hope this happened at night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Turn lemon into lemonade.......it sounds like a great opportunity to take a telescope outside void of light pollution.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis