Sound United has been sold....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ha. Y'all be some small thinkers.
From one of my ab-fav sites... I go here ever'time I need a pick-me-up:

:oops: o_O :rolleyes:
Nothing beats Machina Dynamica and their brilliant pebbles!

mikro-pebbles (4).jpg

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
You have added weight to what we are worried about. This acquisition will more likely than not accelerate the race to the bottom.

There is a real danger that will have high end two channel audiophool systems and ghastly sound bars, and precious little if anything in between.

I see a real possibility of creating a great home theater experience becoming close to impossible in the not too distant future.
I do agree the audio market is undergoing significant changes..
Regarding AVRs which for the most part drove the home theater market segment, is no longer profitable for the competing brands.... The only brand to survive is Yamaha and that is largely because they control their own development & production, also they have heavy $$ underwriting/leverage from corporate. To me today the biggest issue is the buying consumer expects to pay lower pricing while the overhead, material, royalty, production, transit costs are all increasing significantly.. Forcing the market sell price to increase.. In turn this forces out the smaller, local, independent AV seller, so products are now sold more on-line through internet sellers. And buying product through the internet may be fine until... :rolleyes: A problem arises and the product needs to be returned and/or serviced..

Just my $0.02... ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
sadly, somewhere, somebody actually bought into that nonsense .....
Some have said this site is operated just to take money from the 'phools and redirect it towards charitable purposes.....nice idea, don't know if true.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Can't speak for Gene but... :)
Clearly Sound United has too many loudspeaker brands, look for the new owner to spin a few off...
Here is where in my opinion they missed the boat..
SoundBars, BT smart speakers and headphones categories all had significant sales growth for the last 3 years and are projected to increase by 12% up to 2025. The soundbars have grown along with the flat panel HD displays, as the market demand for bigger screen sizes also to support increased demand for better surround audio including Dolby Atmos and DTS-X. Here the audio brands need to compete in the growth categories as they deliver a higher profit margin than AVRs...

Just my $0.02... ;)
Thanks @M Code, SU did a nice job with Polk Audio speakers was hoping Onkyo would be improved also same with Pioneer. Competition is good for our hobby this sell off is unsettling for sure.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
An intriguing write-up, Wayde. Thank you.
In the end, patience is still advised! ;)
We likely won't see any effect until 2023 at the earliest. I think most telling will be how long until they spin off unwanted parts...
What the hell is Boston Acoustic doing for the last couple years, anyway!?!!
The rest of the different brands all hold some promise. :)

(And I do have fond memories of my Dad's BA Speakers and would love to see them stick around! ;) )

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
In a world where Apple Music delivered wirelessly from an iPhone to active speakers now serves many satisfactorily for their recorded music needs, the market for consumer audio/video is shrinking, kind of like the market for digital SLR cameras began to shrink as iPhones became convenient for casual photography needs. So, my opinion is this Masimo acquisition will expand Home Theater sales to markets for at home telemedical needs which the iPhone cannot ideally serve. In other words, Home Theatre stops bleeding with some "medical assistance".

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
An intriguing write-up, Wayde. Thank you.
In the end, patience is still advised! ;)
Thanks, I thought it was worth speculating about possible products, but not completely serious, it's such an odd crossover of businesses it seemed to be begging for it. All we can do is speculate and be patient.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They got an Electrical Engineer (with some medical background) running the company. So far, so good. :D

We know @PENG, @gene, the late Siegfried Linkwitz and probably a few other Audioholics are also EE's.

Until he does something wrong, gotta give him the benefit of the doubt and wish him luck! :D

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm trying to imagine how the board meetings went when this acquisition first came up...
"If you guys approve it, Classe Amps and Nautilus Speakers for everybody here!... so what do you guys say?"
:p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm trying to imagine how the board meetings went when this acquisition first came up...
"If you guys approve it, Classe Amps and Nautilus Speakers for everybody here!... so what do you guys say?"
:p
I was hoping for something more in the lines of "I don't know about you guys, but I've had it up to here with these ridiculous speaker measurements from these $30K B&W speakers! About time we make them accurate!" :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis