Sound setup for 35 x 12 room

B

Bartleby

Audioholic Intern
"Biggest set of headphones on the block", lol. I never quite heard it put that way before, but I like it!

I agree about the big speaker observation. Big speakers need lots of room to sound their best. You're getting a pair of subs so the advantages you gain from buying big speakers kind of cancels out. Another way to look at it too, is you can get better quality in a large bookshelf speaker for the same money you'd spend on towers. A lot of the expense of a tower goes into the cabinet, extra drivers and getting rid of resonances. That same amount of money going into a bookshelf can get you higher quality drivers, crossovers and overall performance within their frequency band.
So would I get better
So a $10,000 pair of speakers driven by a midfi AVR in a tiny house should definitely have cables costing someplace in between the price point of your speakers and AVR.
Well that would probably be my suggestion if I had smoked half as much weed today as I think you may have.
Lord I wish. I drive truck. Not only is that dangerous, hair follicle testing is common in this industry. I haven't smoked in years.

That aside, what's crazy about the system? I'm a newb and all...

B

Bartleby

Audioholic Intern
Or rather, how would you build it with the caveat components should primarily be sourced from American, Japanese, German or Swiss manufacturers?

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
So would I get better

Lord I wish. I drive truck. Not only is that dangerous, hair follicle testing is common in this industry. I haven't smoked in years.

That aside, what's crazy about the system? I'm a newb and all...
Or rather, how would you build it with the caveat components should primarily be sourced from American, Japanese, German or Swiss manufacturers?

Sorry, just thought jumping from $1500 stand mounts to $10,000 towers was only done around here after a couple edibles

I would just say keep an eye on synergy between components.

So while a midfi AVR might give around 100 watts per channel with two channels driven and be good enough to to drive those stand mounts and a center to acceptable listening levels without clipping.
That same AVR might not be the best choice if asked to drive big towers with a few 12” drivers to the same levels with expectations of the same control. Ie sound quality.

At this point you are asking for help before making purchases so you are already ahead of the game. Just keep doing that and you will likely end up with a system that all works well together.

B

Bartleby

Audioholic Intern
Yea for sure I hear that. I really am kind of lusting after the new McIntosh MA352. It's beautiful, it's powerful, I don't need to worry if I'm missing detail because my speakers don't have enough power, and since I only like to buy equipment once, I don't think I need to worry about upgrading my amp in the future. Further, the Denon is going to have a whole bunch of features I don't need, which is something I'm wary of. I hate the trend of more features = more quality on today's consumer. Instead I want build and component quality to come first.

All that said;
1. At 7ft with 100 watts I get 104.9 DB SPL. That's probably louder than I would be comfortable with.
2. I think there's a to give each speaker 2 channels. I came across that idea while looking into other things and have not seriously investigated how it works, but I think doubling up on channels results in somewhere around 1.4 or 1.5 single channel. That brings it up to 106.4 DB SPL.
The MA352's I'm lusting after bring it to 107.9 DB SPL, and add the cost of DAC and Player in addition to the 5k extra for the amp. 5k for a 2 DB SPL increase doesn't seem like great value to me. I might spring for those when I can afford to buy art that costs 5k.

Also, I'm a ways off yet from springing on this system. Hopefully by the time I purchase, I can find a heavily discounted pair. I saw the 9ks going for I think 2.5k lightly used / floor model, and they are close to the same price new as the 5ks (which I don't really understand).

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yea for sure I hear that. I really am kind of lusting after the new McIntosh MA352. It's beautiful, it's powerful, I don't need to worry if I'm missing detail because my speakers don't have enough power, and since I only like to buy equipment once, I don't think I need to worry about upgrading my amp in the future. Further, the Denon is going to have a whole bunch of features I don't need, which is something I'm wary of. I hate the trend of more features = more quality on today's consumer. Instead I want build and component quality to come first.

All that said;
1. At 7ft with 100 watts I get 104.9 DB SPL. That's probably louder than I would be comfortable with.
2. I think there's a to give each speaker 2 channels. I came across that idea while looking into other things and have not seriously investigated how it works, but I think doubling up on channels results in somewhere around 1.4 or 1.5 single channel. That brings it up to 106.4 DB SPL.
The MA352's I'm lusting after bring it to 107.9 DB SPL, and add the cost of DAC and Player in addition to the 5k extra for the amp. 5k for a 2 DB SPL increase doesn't seem like great value to me. I might spring for those when I can afford to buy art that costs 5k.
What happened to the $4k budget? You done fell right down the rabbit hole! Ha ha!

I'm lusting after some McIntosh too, I ain't gonna lie. I'd love to own some of the gear, but I'm not gonna try to convince myself that a db or 2 gained at levels that will cause permanent damage is even a slightly good reason. Think of it as audio jewelry. It's gorgeous, well built equipment and has blue glowy dials that look so cool! There is no real audible gain going that direction tho. You reach the point of diminishing returns much, much sooner with electronics than you do with speakers.

If you have the dough, and it's what you really want, just know it's more aesthetic than performance. I have a Monolith 7 amp I got from Monoprice for $1500 and I'd bet the farm you wouldn't be able to pick out which was which in a DBT.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
What happened to the $4k budget? You done fell right down the rabbit hole! Ha ha!

If you have the dough, and it's what you really want, just know it's more aesthetic than performance. I have a Monolith 7 amp I got from Monoprice for $1500 and I'd bet the farm you wouldn't be able to pick out which was which in a DBT.
Amen... There is a disease that bites some audiophiles. The same happens with alcoholics. Dipping your toe in the water at a reasonable level works so much better for your mental health. lol

B

Bartleby

Audioholic Intern
Amen... There is a disease that bites some audiophiles. The same happens with alcoholics. Dipping your toe in the water at a reasonable level works so much better for your mental health. lol
Okay that's nicely settled. Back to wire people :). What's the Toyota equivalent (not the rolls Royce, or the Kia - sorry if you drive a Kia) brand/model of speaker wire? Or, a link to a discussion on wire not full of marketing bloat.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis