sound from inwall speakers bleeds into adjoining room

K

kfd

Audiophyte
is there any way to limit or prevent the sound from my inwall speakers in my living room from being heard in the bedroon which is on the other side of the wall

one more time

one more time

Junior Audioholic
About the best you can do is make enclosures for them and hope for the best. Bleed through is the bane of in wall systems. It's the old "one man's ceiling is another man's floor" situation.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Turn the volume down.

Apply two additional layers of 5/8” sheetrock on the bedroom wall.

Neither of which I assume you will want to do...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

K

kfd

Audiophyte
About the best you can do is make enclosures for them and hope for the best. Bleed through is the bane of in wall systems. It's the old "one man's ceiling is another man's floor" situation.
It figures, Thanks for the reply.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
The best option would be to build an enclosure and try to isolate the mount of the speaker. Adding a few layers of drywall on the other wall helps a lot, but because the mass is still coupled, not enough to be worth the effort.

Is the wall insulated? If not I would suggest insulating the wall where the speakers are. This might make enough of a difference to make you happy and it’s cheap. It will absorb some of the mid and high frequencies and reduce reflections and resonances inside the wall.

K

kfd

Audiophyte
The best option would be to build an enclosure and try to isolate the mount of the speaker. Adding a few layers of drywall on the other wall helps a lot, but because the mass is still coupled, not enough to be worth the effort.

Is the wall insulated? If not I would suggest insulating the wall where the speakers are. This might make enough of a difference to make you happy and it’s cheap. It will absorb some of the mid and high frequencies and reduce reflections and resonances inside the wall.
insulation, that might be an easy option. thanks for the tip.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
insulation, that might be an easy option. thanks for the tip.
I thought that too. Might be careful not to pack it in too tight as it may transfer sound even more!
Couple layers of extra Sheetrock would be pretty easy. Or maybe a false wall in the bedroom with some fiberglass insulation or roxul in the cavity. That would probably only eat up about 6”.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
They do sell baffles for in-ceiling speakers. Not sure about in-wall speakers. But, it's a very heavy/dense flexible asphalt like material. They sell this material in sheets (for sure) and it can help a great deal with blocking sound as that's what it is designed for.

Realistically, the best/cheapest solution is to get in-room speakers. Mount them to your wall so that half your audio isn't going into the bedroom. We have huge issues with this for all our in-ceiling speakers, so we just wear headphones after the sun sets. Headphones aren't a bad solution to those wanting quiet while you watch TV, but those can be as much of a black hole as the rest of A/V is. I tend to enjoy my TV viewing a ton more just wearing headphones though. Often the kids are wearing their headphones watching youtube, while my wife and I watch something on the TV. Or she reads and I watch, or... you get the idea.

There are definite considerations, but at this point, the absolute best solution is to get the speakers out of the walls. Fix the walls, maybe add some deadening material inside the wall the speaker goes onto, then use in-room speakers.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
If you don't want to play around with sheetrock and enclosures take a look at these:

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
There are several ways to do this and the level of success varies, based on how well they actually prevent the energy transfer to the backside of the "enclosure". Total isolation and de-coupling are best, but most difficult but if you can't do both, isolation is the best single method as long as you can remove some of the drywall/plaster to install a box that is attached to the studs with a flexible adhesive (like polyurethane or silicone) and not touching the wall on the other side. Once it has set, the drywall can be installed by screwing it to the studs and the face of the box. It's not totally isolated, but by using the flexible adhesive, it's better than being screwed to the studs. A soft enclosure can work, to a point, but since bass is the problem, it's best to use something rigid and build the box with a baffle (face). Make sure to use sealant to attach the drywall to the box- if you don't include a baffle and leave sealing the edges to the drywaller, there's no guarantee they will and that means something will vibrate because of air leakage.

Unless you're prepared to go through this and possibly more, you won't stop all of the sound going to the bedroom- you would need to be isolated and de-coupled for that to happen and most of the low frequency energy reaches other areas though the structure.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis