Sound description ? for Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo 2ch receivers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
im sure the x3500h is an excellent receiver with great reviews and a great price but it is way too complicated for my needs. I would never use all those inputs.
Few would....use what you want to.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a joke for you. What do you call a difficult speaker in terms of impedance and/or phase angle? A 4 ohm speaker. Lol
Haha. So, what phase angle you thinking? :) Thought you were saying 4 ohm was fine a minute ago....

I was thinking of some speakers that (while perhaps 4 ohm nominally rated) might dip into the 1s or have a really tough phase angles to deal with....not generally 4 ohm speakers.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Buy a stereo receiver off of Craigslist or Offerup or eBay for under $100. Then buy nicer speakers. That will upgrade your system more than focusing on perceived sound quality differences of new receivers.

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
Buy a stereo receiver off of Craigslist or Offerup or eBay for under $100. Then buy nicer speakers. That will upgrade your system more than focusing on perceived sound quality differences of new receivers.
yes speakers are important. A mild case OCD here, just want to get the receiver right.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I know, but simpler is good. less to go wrong.
More power, more features, hdmi for easy source selection, easy subwoofer integration, very good room correction software and the ability to expand down the road should you choose. It doesn't have to be complicated. Using it in a 2 channel setup would be pretty simple to set up and operate.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
More power, more features, hdmi for easy source selection, easy subwoofer integration, very good room correction software and the ability to expand down the road should you choose. It doesn't have to be complicated. Using it in a 2 channel setup would be pretty simple to set up and operate.
Probably worst part would be if you don't have a tv to help with setup (and after setup wouldn't be very important). Hard to beat the value of an avr....

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
Well it's just that Crutchfield is usually more expensive than most other sites. However that should not be a deal breaker for you. Just make sure whatever you decide to buy, find it for a lower price somewhere else and have Crutchfield price match the item.
where has the best prices on audio? thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For receivers if you don't mind the risk of a refurb, accessories4less.com is used by many here. The value of "auditioning" a receiver is of little value except to test perhaps particular features/functions....

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Haha. So, what phase angle you thinking? :) Thought you were saying 4 ohm was fine a minute ago....

I was thinking of some speakers that (while perhaps 4 ohm nominally rated) might dip into the 1s or have a really tough phase angles to deal with....not generally 4 ohm speakers.
Here is an excellent speaker which phase shifts just a bit outside of the ideal +/-45 degrees and dips down to 2 ohms. Magicos are difficult load not for any amplifier true but it’s not a flawed design but a full range design goal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis