Sound description ? for Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo 2ch receivers

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
When I bought my Sony receiver 30 years ago there were a couple audio stores close by and I could go in there, listen to music and decide what I wanted. . . easy. Now I have to try to figure it out without that luxury of listening to it first. I know, I can probably buy something and return it if I wanted.

I'm mostly interested in a 2 channel stereo receiver for music listening pleasure so I don't really think I need the HDMI jacks but I don't want to rule that out. I'm looking at staying under $600.

I don't listen to load music, maybe occasionally. I'm running an older set of Polk bookshelf speakers but I may upgrade to something with a wider range. or a small sub woofer. I like good quality sound but don't know how to describe it? I like to hear the full range but don't like tinny. I like something that is a real pleasure to listen to.

In general what are the sound characteristics of these brands.

I'm looking at

Marantz NR1200 - I really like the looks of this and its size, its rated at 75 w per ch, weighs about 18 lbs

Yamaha N-R602 - Rated at 80 w per ch weighs about 21 lbs

Onkyo - TX 8260, 8270 (80, 100) w per ch. weighs 18 lbs

thanks in advance for your opinions.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
99.9% of the sound characteristics will come from the speakers and the way they interact with your room, assuming amp specs and performance being equal. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep your speakers and the room will far outstrip the slight differences among those....

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
99.9% of the sound characteristics will come from the speakers and the way they interact with your room, assuming amp specs and performance being equal. :)
I'm still working on a receiver or tossing around the idea of an integrated amp. Haven't got anything yet though. Other than listening to a set of speakers, how do you match them up? Are there specs to look at? thx

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm still working on a receiver or tossing around the idea of an integrated amp. Haven't got anything yet though. Other than listening to a set of speakers, how do you match them up? Are there specs to look at? thx
A good amp will work with a wide variety of speakers. If you have a particularly difficult speaker in terms of impedance and/or phase angle then you might need a more capable amp to overcome that design flaw. An integrated amp is a receiver without a tuner as we used to say....i.e. not much different. These days look at all the features....some of the 2ch stuff is quite limited.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
First thing first, I'm a fan of Marantz and have heard good things about Yamaha in general. While I liked the Onkyo I've owned in the past (RZ900), I haven't kept up with them lately. If you plan on using room correction, Audyssey XT32 would be best (with the app, so you can limit EQ) which comes equipped on certain Marantz and Denon models.

You might already know the below rambling, but ultimately get the amp and specs you need, without worrying about sound signature. I personally believe the warm/bright/forward/airy adjectives people use for amps are snake oil placebo.

For watts per channel...few things to consider. How much power you need will depend on several factors, including speaker's sensitivity, room size, distance to listening position, your volume preferences, content listening, headroom etc.

For most normal conditions, especially with 2 channel music 75wpc is plenty. However for the specs make sure they're rated for 20hz-20khz with 2 channels driven and distortion like .08% or .1%. Some manufacturers fudge the numbers and don't show the distortion or only drive with a 1khz signal etc.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
A good amp will work with a wide variety of speakers. If you have a particularly difficult speaker in terms of impedance and/or phase angle then you might need a more capable amp to overcome that design flaw. An integrated amp is a receiver without a tuner as we used to say....i.e. not much different. These days look at all the features....some of the 2ch stuff is quite limited.
I wouldn’t say a 4 ohm speaker is a flawed design.

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
First thing first, I'm a fan of Marantz and have heard good things about Yamaha in general. While I liked the Onkyo I've owned in the past (RZ900), I haven't kept up with them lately. If you plan on using room correction, Audyssey XT32 would be best (with the app, so you can limit EQ) which comes equipped on certain Marantz and Denon models.

You might already know the below rambling, but ultimately get the amp and specs you need, without worrying about sound signature. I personally believe the warm/bright/forward/airy adjectives people use for amps are snake oil placebo.

For watts per channel...few things to consider. How much power you need will depend on several factors, including speaker's sensitivity, room size, distance to listening position, your volume preferences, content listening, headroom etc.

For most normal conditions, especially with 2 channel music 75wpc is plenty. However for the specs make sure they're rated for 20hz-20khz with 2 channels driven and distortion like .08% or .1%. Some manufacturers fudge the numbers and don't show the distortion or only drive with a 1khz signal etc.
both of these have the specs mentioned.

I'm looking at the Marantz NR 1200 - I like this unit because of its sound, it has a nice sound to it. what I don't like are the HDMI inputs, i'm not going to use them, its another circuit board.

and the Yamaha 602. I think it has a better amp, weighs 3 lbs more but I don't like the brightness of the sound.
but it is said above that 99.9% is in the speakers...

right now i'm running book self speakers that are in the mid to high frequency range so the Marantz may compliment them. I don't think i'm going to go integrated amp. probably just a receiver.

I know a lot of you guys say there are better deals than crutchfield. I find there staff is pretty good and they let you try it of for 60 days with a $10 dollar return fee. that sounds pretty good.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic

I'm looking at the Marantz NR 1200 - I like this unit because of its sound, it has a nice sound to it. what I don't like are the HDMI inputs, i'm not going to use them, its another circuit board.

and the Yamaha 602. I think it has a better amp, weighs 3 lbs more but I don't like the brightness of the sound.

right now i'm running book self speakers that are in the mid to high frequency range so the Marantz may compliment them. I don't think i'm going to go integrated amp. probably just a receiver.

I know a lot of you guys say there are better deals than crutchfield. I find there staff is pretty good and they let you try it of for 60 days with a $10 dollar return fee. that sounds pretty good.
Well it's just that Crutchfield is usually more expensive than most other sites. However that should not be a deal breaker for you. Just make sure whatever you decide to buy, find it for a lower price somewhere else and have Crutchfield price match the item.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief

How are you determining the 'sound' of these receivers?

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Does your old Sony still work? Which Polk speakers are you using?

If your Sony still works, why not consider a speaker upgrade before buying a new receiver?

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
Well it's just that Crutchfield is usually more expensive than most other sites. However that should not be a deal breaker for you. Just make sure whatever you decide to buy, find it for a lower price somewhere else and have Crutchfield price match the item.
good idea

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
How are you determining the 'sound' of these receivers?
I have three things.

I listened to 2 AVR receivers at best buy, they weren't even close to the models im interested in and they were going thru expensive speakers. same price point though.

THD - Marantz - .08 , Yamaha - .04 -- is this a big difference??

opinions, reviews....

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
Does your old Sony still work? Which Polk speakers are you using?

If your Sony still works, why not consider a speaker upgrade before buying a new receiver?
Sony is dead. protector fault . replace a couple of power transistors, it wasn't that.

polk S4

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Save your money on the electronics and put it into speakers. These differences, for all intents and purposes are inaudible. Look for the right feature set and that it fills your power needs. After that any real differences in sq will come from different rc programs (I prefer Audyssey XT32, Denon/Marantz) and your speakers. I put the bulk of my budget into the speakers.

*Edit: The Denon X3500H at $549 is an excellent deal for a good receiver.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I have three things.

I listened to 2 AVR receivers at best buy, they weren't even close to the models im interested in and they were going thru expensive speakers. same price point though.

THD - Marantz - .08 , Yamaha - .04 -- is this a big difference??

opinions, reviews....
Here is a good read concerning distortion: https://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/human-hearing-distortion-audibility-part-3

Simply put, that .04-.08 difference is not audible. Years ago, the audio industry used THD as a selling point (.0000127%!!!1!). Though important, not as important as other factors. If you are into reading the minutia of graphs (as some on this site are wont to do, especially with speakers) then go ahead and knock yourself out! I personally would not worry about THD specs below the audible threshold from reputable manufacturers and concentrate on features. The Yamaha, Marantz and Onkyo receivers you listed should sound remarkable similar. But hey, research, gathering opinions and reviews is more than half the fun! If you have a preferred manufacturer (currently, I like Yamaha until something else changes my mind) then go for it and cheer for the home team!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Save your money on the electronics and put it into speakers. These differences, for all intents and purposes are inaudible. Look for the right feature set and that it fills your power needs. After that any real differences in sq will come from different rc programs (I prefer Audyssey XT32, Denon/Marantz) and your speakers. I put the bulk of my budget into the speakers.

Dagnabbit - you beat me to it! Stupid slow typing fingers...

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
Dagnabbit - you beat me to it! Stupid slow typing fingers...

im sure the x3500h is an excellent receiver with great reviews and a great price but it is way too complicated for my needs. I would never use all those inputs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis