Sound absorption panels

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I am looking to purchase some large rock wool sound absorption panels. What is the best place to purchase the rock wool. I am thinking like 3' x 4' give or take some. I need at least 6 in total for my home theatre.
Thanks
Jeff

B

brownp23

Audiophyte
rock wool

Try looking up a local distributors in your area google them. A lot of them can be found under HVAC companies.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
I've no idea if they're the BEST places to by the insulation, but I know that you can get what you need from Gik Acoustics: GIK Acoustics. Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

or Acoustimac: DIY Acoustic Panels | Sound Insulation | Acoustic Fabric

If nothing else, you can get the brands, names and model numbers for the products they use and look for a better price locally :)

Personally, I think the Gik or Acoustimac already-made panels are cheap enough that I just buy mine from them, rather than making the panels myself. But then again, I'm not really a DIY guy :p

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Try looking up a local distributors in your area google them. A lot of them can be found under HVAC companies.
+1

The panel size is 2'x4' in 6lb/ft^3 or 8lb/ft^3. Rigid fiberglass with similar acoustic properties is half the weight but more expensive. I used Owens Corning 703 in a 4" total thickness and the panels are pretty heavy. Making them out of the 8lb mineral wool would have been too much.

Here's a link to my build thread on them.

P

pjoseph

Full Audioholic
I just purchased some Roxul Rockboard 60, I went to their site and used the contact us link and emailed them asking where to buy locally.
I received a responcse next day, much cheaper buying it locally because because of shipping

I ended up paying $39 per bundle which has 7 Sheets of 2"

S

smprather

Audiophyte
[I tried to put some links in here, but I got hit by the 5 post minimum rule.]

I just picked up 8 2'x4'x2" rockwool sheets at SPI here in Austin. I paid $75 after tax.

acousticsfreq.com / blog / ?p=62 This looks like a pretty decent plan for framing them up. I would disagree with spray gluing the excess fabric behind the panel. I wouldn't want the glue to create a barrier for sound to enter the back side. I'm thinking just trim the excess. I also plan to put some standoff feet on each corner to give me a few inches of air behind the panels.

I can't wait to get these babies up on the wall. Next step in the plan are some 4"ers in the corners of the room to hopefully tame the ridiculously position dependent bass response in my small'ish AV room.

Hmm.. I guess until I get the frames built, I can just lean them against the walls around the room to get some instant gratification. To the BatMobile!

--Myles

I

icu4biz

Enthusiast
I just finished building my acoustical panels. Yes, you can buy online but you will have more options and flexibility with custom work by doing it yourself. Plus, it's a lot cheaper DIY.

My room is 18' wide by 65' long. My theater is in the first part of the room (18'X16') with no back wall. With that said, I had a very challenging acoustical problem. My solution worked very well and the results are amazing.

I strongly recommend the Ecose acoustical insulation. It is formaldehyde-free and works very well. It does not make you itch like the 703 fiberglass panels and mineral wool. The costs for the ecose is slighlty more but well worth it. Plus the ecose is a darker brown color, which would blend more more smoothly with a darker fabric. I bought my fabric from High-Performance Textiles - Guilford of Maine.

I would call Knauf Insulation (makes Ecose) at 317-398-4434 and request a local distributor. My local guy delivered my ecose to my front door.

I just made 8 2'X4' panels using pine wook I bought at Home Depot. Get the highest grade wood available and check for knots on the sides and for warpage. I used the 2" ecose in these panels and placed in the speaker relection points.

I also made 3 2'X6' bass traps using (2) 2" ecose panels for a total of 4" of insulation. Additionally, I made (3) large corner bass traps 8' high (from the top of my floor trim to the ceiling) X 28" wide (about 17" deep). I filled these traps with mineral wool and then placed left over 2" ecose on the outer layer.

For my front wall I made an extra wall out of 2X4s appx 9" from the main wall and treated with 8" of mineral wool and ecose. I then used 1"X2" pine and made panels wrapped with black guilford of maine fabric and velcored to the 2X4 wall. My screed was placed over the fabric.

Results? Looks great, sounds great, and the price was right.

Brett A

Brett A

Audioholic
ATS has surprisingly low prices for DIY as well as finished panels.

Acoustic Panels by ATS Acoustics

Their prices are considerably lower than Acoustimac; at least on the few products I just compared.

I've purchased both DIY products as well as finished bass traps from ATS and can't recommend them enough. They seem to be on a mission to make this stuff affordable.

J

jasonsandra

Audiophyte
Polyester acoustic absorption panels are the best, they are made of polyester and has been proven over many years of clothing and the harshest climatic conditions. Polyester sound absorption panel is dust-free and does not cause any other irritating skin.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis