Sony UBP-X800 Video quality settings, Auto/Custom 1/Custom 2?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ever since I got my new TV, TCL 75R635 I could not figure out why HDR 10 from the UBP-X800 was not nearly as good as HDR 10 or Dolby Vision from streaming on the Amazon Fire Cube. I then found the "Video quality settings" which are "Auto/Custom 1 and 2". I had it on Auto which obviously I did not like and to be honest I thought the picture looked dark, lifeless, no pop and plain sucked. I then tried Custom 1 and moved the "contrast" setting to 4. I found some settings for Custom online and its FNR 3, BNR 3, MNR3, Contrast 4, brightness -2, color 4. Anyone have this issue with the UBP-X800? Anyone else use "Custom settings"? Do these settings seem ok or right to you? Its definitely a million times better than "Auto" I can tell you that. I will enjoy 4K HDR from UHD Blu-Rays again. Thanks for any input or help.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Make sure 4K output is set to Enhanced and not Standard on the Denon. It seems your colors are being clipped on the Sony and that is why you are having to bump up the settings. You may need to adjust the TV UHD settings for external devices as well.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Make sure 4K output is set to Enhanced and not Standard on the Denon. It seems your colors are being clipped on the Sony and that is why you are having to bump up the settings. You may need to adjust the TV UHD settings for external devices as well.
I also concur on this. My Marantz wasn't set to Enhanced, but it is now. A good first step to check.

Maybe too, make sure the Picture Mode is set to OFF in the Denon.

Lastly: HDMI Video Output Setting if your model has this also has a sharpness setting. Mine is set to on, but you may prefer it otherwise.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Oh course I have the Denon set up "enhanced". I've had this combo for a few years now. I have no idea what is going on but custom looks way better than "standard".

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Oh course I have the Denon set up "enhanced". I've had this combo for a few years now. I have no idea what is going on but custom looks way better than "standard".

I think Custom only means that you've changed one setting. So, maybe it's unclear exactly what the reason is, if you're happy with your Custom setting I guess it's sufficient..?

Didn't mean to offend with the settings.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yep with my Denon it keeps blacking out on Enhanced and Come to find out the cable isn’t 4K like it said on the amazon page. Ordered a 8K cable. I have Sony 700 and don’t use custom at all.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
A premium certified cable rated at 18gbps from Blue Jeans or Monoprice should do and are quite inexpensive.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
A premium certified cable rated at 18gbps from Blue Jeans or Monoprice should do and are quite inexpensive.
I have the monoprice cable for the Sony. I got this one since it was on sale:
6 ft Ultra HD High Speed 8K hdmi 2.1 Cable 48Gbps Compatible @60Hz 7680P Dolby Vision HDCP 2.2, 4:4:4 HDR, eARC Compatible with Apple TV, Samsung QLED TV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08915VXJQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_zKwSFbQH9SFT1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
This is the monoprice one:
Monoprice 115428 Certified Premium HDMI Cable - 6 Feet - Black, 4K@60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, Dual Video Stream https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GCGKI3O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_6MwSFbBEYK0XS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Getting back to the OP, as for the picture on the X800. While playing a 4K disc, check the input signal on the Denon. If you are not seeing 4:4:4 but are seeing 4:2:2 or 4:2:0, there is a setting off somewhere in the chain. If you have Enhanced activated in the Denon, check the TV settings for anything like UHD Color Setting. In the regular picture settings, see if colors are set to anything like auto, custom or native and play with that setting. Check all of the Screen settings in the X800. Leaving everything at Auto should be fine. Custom picture settings can be fun to tinker with but you should not feel like you have to because the picture sucks. It would only looked washed out on 4K HDR discs if, somewhere in the chain, a setting is off. I've had this issue myself and was able to remedy it with a TV setting. Not all HDR capable TVs and devices are created equally. Check the supported resolutions on all of your devices. It does matter. I hope you work it out. If it all checks out and you just like your custom settings, enjoy.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI cables aren't created equally either. Any time I've upgraded my cables for new devices, I upgraded ALL of the cables so that they are all the same and I do not have to f#%k around with each one to find the weak link. That part of this hobby is no fun at all.:mad:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I have the monoprice cable for the Sony. I got this one since it was on sale:
6 ft Ultra HD High Speed 8K hdmi 2.1 Cable 48Gbps Compatible @60Hz 7680P Dolby Vision HDCP 2.2, 4:4:4 HDR, eARC Compatible with Apple TV, Samsung QLED TV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08915VXJQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_zKwSFbQH9SFT1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
This is the monoprice one:
Monoprice 115428 Certified Premium HDMI Cable - 6 Feet - Black, 4K@60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, Dual Video Stream https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GCGKI3O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_6MwSFbBEYK0XS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Forgot you had eARC. Yeah, you want a cable with more bandwidth. At some point the mess that is HDMI 2.1 and its features will get worked out. But, anything with "ARC" in the name is just asking for trouble.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Getting back to the OP, as for the picture on the X800. While playing a 4K disc, check the input signal on the Denon. If you are not seeing 4:4:4 but are seeing 4:2:2 or 4:2:0, there is a setting off somewhere in the chain. If you have Enhanced activated in the Denon, check the TV settings for anything like UHD Color Setting. In the regular picture settings, see if colors are set to anything like auto, custom or native and play with that setting. Check all of the Screen settings in the X800. Leaving everything at Auto should be fine. Custom picture settings can be fun to tinker with but you should not feel like you have to because the picture sucks. It would only looked washed out on 4K HDR discs if, somewhere in the chain, a setting is off. I've had this issue myself and was able to remedy it with a TV setting. Not all HDR capable TVs and devices are created equally. Check the supported resolutions on all of your devices. It does matter. I hope you work it out. If it all checks out and you just like your custom settings, enjoy.
I just want to add, because it's in line with this comment. I had, I believe, 2 settings on my Panasonic UB820, and then 1 HDMI setting and 1 4K setting to change/verify on my Marantz 6013.

Along with the right cable, these all immediately showed the full, and proper, 4:4:4/12 on both the BRP and AVR.

I also didn't pay top shelf pricing for the cables. I want too say a 2 pack for $25 maybe on Amazon. I'll check the box/link if requested.

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Oh interesting, thanks I will check that out.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ok, what I see is 4K:24 BT.2020 ycbcr BT.2020 ycbcr 12 bits
Is that what I should see?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Is that from the Denon? Can you bring up input info from TV or will it not since you are going through the receiver first?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Is that from the Denon? Can you bring up input info from TV or will it not since you are going through the receiver first?
Yes, that's from the Denon, I think video information? I popped in Everest and put it back to Auto from custom and it does look good. Maybe I'm just jaded by Dolby Vision? I never had Dolby Vision before I got this TV and Dolby Vision from streaming looks amazing, beyond amazing. Maybe I'm just kinda jaded by that over HDR 10?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Do you have the X800M2? If so, do you have Dolby Vision turned on? It is not automatic.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Do you have the X800M2? If so, do you have Dolby Vision turned on? It is not automatic.
No I have the X800, no Dolby Vision. I would never buy that player because you have to turn Dolby Vision on every time I think? How dumb is that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis