Sony UBP X800 alternative?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I wish you hadn't posted this, :). I'm having a yahama rx A 1070 delivered this Tuesday. My blu ray player went on the fritz last week and I'll replace it with a sony x700 at $149 probably from the local Best Buy. But I don't have a 4k TV and I wasn't planning on buying one until I saw your post . . .

Heck it even has google chrome cast built in which is my preference.

lol
I’ve been eyeballing these for a while, but that last $50 off the 700 is the deal maker... the tv, was considering Vizio 55” just to save money, but with the sale, I get the 49” Sony for a good price I feel. Good ratings, runs cooler by about 10°. Supposed to have better processing power. :) And we’ve been pretty happy with our older Sony, too!

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I’ve been eyeballing these for a while, but that last $50 off the 700 is the deal maker... the tv, was considering Vizio 55” just to save money, but with the sale, I get the 49” Sony for a good price I feel. Good ratings, runs cooler by about 10°. Supposed to have better processing power. :) And we’ve been pretty happy with our older Sony, too!
Yeah I was eyeballing the Vizio as well which was at $899 at Best Buy last week (55 inch); it looked decent and had chromecast. But $1k for a 55 inch sony x900 is tempting. Man I was hoping to go get away with only putting a small hole in my credit card this Turkey week and I'm going to blow thru that idea between the Yammy AVR and Sony blu ray and TV.

I'm just going to have to buy a less expensive Turkey. Too bad the black friday sales will be a day late to buy a bird on a sale.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah I was eyeballing the Vizio as well which was at $899 at Best Buy last week (55 inch); it looked decent and had chromecast. But $1k for a 55 inch sony x900 is tempting. Man I was hoping to go get away with only putting a small hole in my credit card this Turkey week and I'm going to blow thru that idea between the Yammy AVR and Sony blu ray and TV.

I'm just going to have to buy a less expensive Turkey. Too bad the black friday sales will be a day late to buy a bird on a sale.
There’s always salad and deli turkey! :p

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
The X900 gets good reviews. It runs android TV which does amazon prime natively. I didn't know that. I've been using google chrome TV and I've been casting from a webpage but this is a little better.

So weird that google has 2 different OSs for TVs. Plus, from what I've been reading, it looks like Android is out the door for tablets and chrome will become the standard for larger devices.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I ordered a x700 from Amazon for my bedroom. I already have a x800 in my theater room.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I ordered a x700 from Amazon for my bedroom. I already have a x800 in my theater room.
Snake, I’d give a second thumbs up if I could for doubling down on the Sony players! I’d be interested in hearing how they contrast when u get a chance to play with the 700!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Snake, I’d give a second thumbs up if I could for doubling down on the Sony players! I’d be interested in hearing how they contrast when u get a chance to play with the 700!
Ya I will be able to do that soon. :).

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I started out asking for advice about a new AVR. Instead I ended up doing the audioholics thing by upgrading my whole damn home theater so it can do 4k, :). My new home theater gear is

1. Sony 55 inch X900 tv;
2. Sony UBP X700 blu ray player; and
3. Yamaha AVR RX A1070.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I started out asking for advice about a new AVR. Instead I ended up doing the audioholics thing by upgrading my whole damn home theater so it can do 4k, :). My new home theater gear is

1. Sony 55 inch X900 tv;
2. Sony UBP X700 blu ray player; and
3. Yamaha AVR RX A1070.
That looks like a great setup. All have the latest HDMI2.0a. Be sure to get Monoprice certified hdmi cables. The Yamaha needs to be set to hdmi mode 1 for 4K. (Not sure why mode 2 is enabled by default).

What speakers?

Last edited:
B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
That looks like a great setup. All have the latest HDMI2.0a. Be sure to get Monoprice certified hdmi cables. The Yamaha needs to be set to hdmi mode 1 for 4K. (Not sure why mode 2 is enabled by default).

What speakers?
Good to know about the Yamaha setting for HDMI.

I thought the whole HDMI cable thing was kind of BS and most cables will work just fine? I have an Amazon "basic" HDMI cable that I figure I'll try and see what happens.

It's just a 2.1 set up in what is the home theater room equivalent of audio hell, :). I have an old brick house and an addition was made to the back. So the inside of the home theater room is brick and the outside is glass. The SQ is crappy. Sometimes I think I could have just bought a soundbar and sub and gotten as good an audio quality.

I could move the home theater downstairs to the basement and improve the hell out of the SQ but I like looking out over my backyard especially in the winter when everything is covered in snow.

The speakers are ascend CBM 170s and the sub is an SVS SB 1000.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

I thought the whole HDMI cable thing was kind of BS and most cables will work just fine? I have an Amazon "basic" HDMI cable that I figure I'll try and see what happens.

It's just a 2.1 set up in what is the home theater room equivalent of audio hell, :). I have an old brick house and an addition was made to the back. So the inside of the home theater room is brick and the outside is glass. The SQ is crappy. Sometimes I think I could have just bought a soundbar and sub and gotten as good an audio quality.

I could move the home theater downstairs to the basement and improve the hell out of the SQ but I like looking out over my backyard especially in the winter when everything is covered in snow.

For 4K you need a certified hdmi cable. Monoprice cables are cheap

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
For 4K you need a certified hdmi cable. Monoprice cables are cheap
I second this. Monoprice for cables. Also good for banana plugs... found a review, theirs actually tested slightly higher than competitors for conductivity.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

2.1 setups are fun. My bedroom setup is 2.1 actually. I have the Canton 820.2 and Rythmik L12 with a Yamaha RXA770 and soon will have a Sony x700 to replace the 2015 Samsung BD player. My 43” Toshiba 1080p needs to be upgraded next but I can wait on that for another year.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Did they ever fix your AVR?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ha! It’s back at warranty service. Sent them video of the sound dropping out so they could see/hear what I’m experiencing. Fingers crossed!!!
That’s on hdmi sources or all sources?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That’s on hdmi sources or all sources?
Not on hdmi, rather streaming over Ethernet and analog line-direct, also Apple play streaming of pandora from iPhone. But streaming sling tv over WiFi and ARC connection or Spotify WiFi streaming via ps4 and connected via hdmi works fine.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Not on hdmi, rather streaming over Ethernet and analog line-direct, also Apple play streaming of pandora from iPhone. But streaming sling tv over WiFi and ARC connection or Spotify WiFi streaming via ps4 and connected via hdmi works fine.
Well yes if your modem and WiFi router are both good and you get good internet speed results using your phone or laptop on that WiFi network (same band).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis