Sony STR-DN1080 vs. Denon X2400h/X3400h

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
OP is not asking about the ES line or $70K speakers. Though we got sidetracked into the discussion about things that are fairly unrelated to the question at hand, if we talk about THESE TWO AVRs, there's still no question in my mind as to what the answer is.
I am not so sure, that particular non ES Sony and it's predecessor do look promising. The specs seem very comparable to that of the Denon, and better in some areas. For the same price I would take the Denon too mainly because of it's Audyssey XT, otherwise I would have to flip a coin.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the Sony 1080 vs Denon X2000 series is a fair fight.

But the Denon X3000 series is the clear winner over the Sony 1080.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I do believe Sony fixed the #1 complaint IMO, which was that the claimed specs vs. real world output. Their AVRs now deliver adequate amounts, so I think they've trickled down some of the good bits from the ES line. And honestly, I'll take clean power over features. When one says "easier to use" I only configure the system a few times. A user friendly remote vs. Audessey XT isn't a comparison; I'll take the room correction.

Z

Zman7505

Audioholic Intern
Well considering the 1080 is basically an 1100es it's an applicable discussion to a degree.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well considering the 1080 is basically an 1100es it's an applicable discussion to a degree.
What is the warranty difference between ES and non-ES? 5YR vs 3YR? Or 5YR vs 2YR?

The 23lbs Sony-1080 is $600 and the 33lbs Sony-1100es is $1,000. That’s a significant price and weight difference if they are basically the same model! :D

That’s like saying the $600 Denon X1000 series is basically the same the $1,000 Denon X3000 series.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
BTW, the $1,000 Denon X3300 is back to $599 brand new on Amazon.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
BTW, the $1,000 Denon X3300 is back to $599 brand new on Amazon.
I’ve been waiting for the 4300 to go on sale again but a4L is the only place I’ve been able to find it. They actually have the 4400 for the same price, but the 3300 comes with free shipping.

Z

Zman7505

Audioholic Intern
Actually my bad, wrong model. I meant 810es.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve been waiting for the 4300 to go on sale again but a4L is the only place I’ve been able to find it. They actually have the 4400 for the same price, but the 3300 comes with free shipping.
If you’re not in a hurry, it’s only a matter of time before either the Denon 4300 or 4400 goes back on sale for $799 brand new.

Prices fluctuate like the stock market. :D

Might even give Electronics Expo a call to see if they have any X4300 for $799. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Actually my bad, wrong model. I meant 810es.
Yeah, that’s more like it ($600 vs $700 model). I guess the extra $100 gets you the 5YR Warranty.

I do think the 5YR Warranty is impressive considering how most companies only offer 3 YR even on high-end (Bryston pre-pro).

If the OP is set on Sony, I would get the $1700 3000ES on sale for $798 brand new, which is only $100 more than the 810ES.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00O2IGAFA/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

However, I still think the Denon X4300 on sale for $799 is the better deal, especially for guys with 4-ohm speakers, even if they don’t use Audyssey XT32 DEQ. :D

SONY: 172W x 2Ch 4-ohm
DENON: 239W x 2Ch 4-ohm

Damn, off topic again. So easy to do. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Power Output 4 ohm, 0.1% THD, 2CH:

Denon X4000 series: 216W ($799 when on sale)
Sony 3000 series: 136W ($798 when on sale)
Yamaha A-S801 Integrated Amp: 185W ($899)

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x4200w-av-receiver-review-test-bench

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-str-za3000es-av-receiver-review-test-bench

https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/yamaha-a-s801-amplifier-review/yamaha-a-s801-measurements

Denon is definitely the winner, and Sony is the weakest. :D

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I have to break with my fellow Audioholics brothers on this one; I would take the Sony over Denon. This coming from someone who has always liked Denon units (and still do) for years. I have a Sony STR-DN1080 and it is the best sounding receiving I have ever heard in the $500 price range. I'm sure a lot will depend on your room, but I found the newer version of DCAC did a fantastic job in mine. It does take some tweaking to get the best sound so I've included a link below to my original review of the unit which contains some tips (Post #8):

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/sony-str-dn1080-review.109283/

Z

Zman7505

Audioholic Intern
So you feel 80 watts is going to make a difference at this price range with nothing else factored in?

3dB difference requires double the power, so how is 80 watts gonna help?

And while the Yamaha is impressive, it's an integrated, I wouldn't even place it in the comparison. Completely different design philosophy. I would venture a guess it sounds the best of the three.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So you feel 80 watts is going to make a difference at this price range with nothing else factored in?
I was just posting facts in case anyone wanted to see the numbers and discuss. It is a forum.

3dB difference requires double the power, so how is 80 watts gonna help?
Yeah, we all know about the 3dB/ doubling power fact. Most of us have mentioned that about a 100 times over the past 10 years. :eek:

If you use the power-requirement calculator like most of us, some speakers in some cases may require 130W, while some may require 200W.

So are you saying that a speaker that may require 236W of power will be all peachy with 136W of Power in all cases?

The amp will never clip if the speaker requires 236W and the amp can only output 136W?

There’s no need for 236W of Power/4 ohms in any possible case?

And while the Yamaha is impressive, it's an integrated, I wouldn't even place it in the comparison. Completely different design philosophy. I would venture a guess it sounds the best of the three.
Why would the Yamaha sound better? Just because it’s an integrated amp? :eek:

Because it doesn’t have as many components inside it?

Z

Zman7505

Audioholic Intern
Depends on sensitivity and the individual speakers, that's why you can't go by wattage alone. So just stating an amp wins due to wattage is ridiculous, And yes, the Yamaha most likely does sound better because it's an integrated. Less concern about shielding, additional room to take the interfere from.the power supply into place and the budget to improve component quality since you don't have to spread the cost around. That's the whole reason people go to separates. Same money but it's specializing in one thing, not multiple. A receiver is a spork, separates are not. Integrated amps are not. That's another reason they fetch a premium in price. Just like the Yamaha is similar in price to an atmos 7.1 receiver.

And your emojis don't help the situation, just compound the situation and shows a level of immaturity.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Depends on sensitivity and the individual speakers, that's why you can't go by wattage alone. So just stating an amp wins due to wattage is ridiculous, And yes, the Yamaha most likely does sound better because it's an integrated. Less concern about shielding, additional room to take the interfere from.the power supply into place and the budget to improve component quality since you don't have to spread the cost around. That's the whole reason people go to separates. Same money but it's specializing in one thing, not multiple. A receiver is a spork, separates are not. Integrated amps are not. That's another reason they fetch a premium in price. Just like the Yamaha is similar in price to an atmos 7.1 receiver.

And your emojis don't help the situation, just compound the situation and shows a level of immaturity.
I think that particular integrated amp will likely measure better too on the bench, whether that automatically means it will sound better I am not sure, but I would say not likely. It will clip sooner though regardless of speaker sensitivity because that would affect both units the same way. We all have our opinions.. That's why I always prefer to go with specs and measurements, the more the better.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis